Match 46: WAL-BEL - SKOMINA (SVN)

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by AremRed, Jul 1, 2016.

1. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Friday July 1, 2016 - 15:00 (EDT) - Lille (Stade Pierre Mauroy)

Referee: Darmir Skomina (SVN)
    Assistant Referee 1: Jure Praprotnik (SVN)
    Assistant Referee 2: Robert Vukan (SVN)
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Matej Jug (SVN)
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Slavko Vinčić (SVN)
    4th Official: Nicola Rizzoli (ITA)

Reserve Assistant Referee: Elenito Di Liberatore (ITA)
    UEFA Referee Observer: Marc Batta (FRA)
    UEFA Delegate: Adonis Procopiou (CYP)

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032253), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ~25th minute, Hazard really should have received a caution. Thought he was fouled so he grabbed the ball to prevent a Wales player getting possession (USB), then when the handling is called against him throws the ball away (DR). Not that you should always be thinking "Hm, well I've given Wales 3 cautions, it's time for one to Belgium", but Hazard did two different things that are easily cautionable offenses and that would have been a good time to give one. Maybe Skomina gave him the benefit of the doubt since he is captain? IDK

3. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I thought Hazard did get fouled. Give that and avoid all the aftermath.

4. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Good job by Skomina in the 59th min, played advantage on a hard tackle at midfield and at next stoppage came back to give card. But I think he got the wrong guy, although Fellani was there too fouling Bale.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Skomina gave Hazard the benefit of the doubt because he realized he missed the foul and the Welsh captain was then too exuberant in demanding the caution.

I also think he missed both a penalty for Belgium when it was 2-1 (stepping on the foot of the attacker in the area) and a good attacking DFK right outside the area.

I think, like with almost all referees here, Skomina managed the game well. I actually really love how he handled Hazard. But I think a couple big misses will hurt him if he was in consideration for the final.

AremRed repped this.
  6. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The yellow card to Ramsey was extremely harsh given that the ball went thigh to arm, and that the card will cause him to be suspended for the semifinal. Free kick...yes....yellow card...no way.