Match #22 - Costa Rica vs Mexico (pbp/discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MoRado, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    No, they're like a state, so Hawaii would be a better comparison.

2. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    They already applied for statehood?
    Damn I need to keep up with the news. :rolleyes:

3. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Wait.

So California can field a team?

X that. Im thinking its something along the lines of Puerto Rico fielding a team, they are allowed to aren't they?

4. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Mexico looked better last night. when Blanco and Bofo came in, the team looked stronger and more dangerous. The fact is that Mexico moves on like it or not :rolleyes:
    There were a lot of unhappy people at Reliant. I saw a lot of fights around me.

5. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Puerto Rico is an American territory that is not treated as a "state". If they became the 51st state of the USA then the comparison would be correct.

Guadeloupe is a French department, the same as other departments within France. Essentially like one of the 50 american states. They have representation in the French government and their inhabitants are French citizens. So it'd be like Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, California or Florida etc. having a team.

6. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Concacaf grant Guadaloupe membership then? Isn't it a little obsurd that citizens of Guadaloupe are allowed to play for 2 national teams. Either accept you're part of France or tell them you don't want to be a soccer colony anymore...

(And for the record, if not for it's soccer colonies, esp Guadaloupe, France wouldn't be anywhere near the team they have been for the last decade or two.)

7. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think Hugo keeps starting the wrong players. I think the lineup he finished with last night (Plus working Neri in somewhere) make Mexico a completely different team. A better team.

8. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree., Borgetti and El Venado do not convince me. both times I've seen them here in Houston.
    I always thought that Blanco looked to get fouled all the time, but when he was subbed in last night you could see the change on Costa Rica's game plane. and I saw right infront of me how they would foul Blanco and pull on his jersey. I guess you can see more things when you see the game at the stadium.

9. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    This had to have been one of the most poorly played matches in the tourney so far...regardless of what some of the CR and U.S fans would have you belive, Mexico did have possesion of the ball and Mexico did have more attempts and shots on gol, therefore Mexico was the agressor and dominated the match...however, we couldnt finish, which is the most important part of playing football. The ref was horrible, thiers no denying that, but that was due in part to medford's (or mac from predator as i refer to him) "destroy all mexicans" game plan. Mexico is playing like utter crap right now, we need to improve no doubt, but its really pathetic that playing the way we are right now...we can still get to the final !! What a joke of a tournament !! While the U.s is playing "perfect" according to fsc and thier cronies, they're expected to reach the final...Mexico is playing like crap and we have a better chance of reaching it too. And if Canada beats the U.s...id say we have a 90% chance of lifting the trophy....

10. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    True, only difference is that Guadeloupe has a completely distinct culture compared to France. Different music, different food, different people, different language ( the most common language spoken there is Creole) etc

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check this article out, it's from the official Gold Cup website:
    http://www.terra.com/deportes/articulo/html/fox407764.htm

"Jared Borgetti scored in the 94th minute to lead Mexico to a 1-0 win over Costa Rica in double overtime in a quarterfinal match of the CONCACAF Gold Cup Sunday at a sold out Reliant Stadium."

Double overtime? 94th minute? Who writes this crap?

A better comparison would probably be England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland. They are the same country but are represented in FIFA separately. American is definitely more of a centralized federal state. People here don't differentiate themselves as much from state to state. Yeah, yeah, I know that it does occur, but not at the level that it does in other nations. We are more "united" here. People refer to themselves as American first, and Californian/Virginian/etc second. Can you see a Scottsman referring to himself as a British citizen first? Now, as for former French players representing them, I don't know what's up with that. Once you choose which team you're representing you should have to stick with it.

12. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Except Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland all have their own parliaments with limited self-rule, so this is a distinct difference in your comparison.

13. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    we are having a US vs Mexico final because it makes money, refs help those teams so they can play each other in the final... Am i the only one that sees that here? Isnt it obvious?

14. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll let you know after the game on Thursday ;)

15. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont know if your the only one... but i don't see it. Come on... the ref wasn't favoring Mexico, he was just to dumb to realize Aleman or w/e had a yellow card already, im sure if he knew that he wouldn't show him the second =P, Dont tell me CR was better when they had 11 players couse the didnt show very much... During that time Mex had the game. The second was one of the stupidest red cards i'v seen but well it happens, and the tirth... you cant complain about that one.

Now i was speaking with a friend from CR, and we decided to watch the reply, he said that moust of the faults weren't as they were just using the body (charges?? sorry i dont know how to say it in english, but there was a little difference between CR charges and Mexico Charges... CR came with arms up, not just body, watch the replay... and even when they saw the ref was penalizing those they kept doing it...

Im sorry to tell you guys this but i know a lot of you hat8 mex fan's couse of our ego, telling we are the best in Concacaf (not that i belive it) and always making escuses when we lose, well now.... you aren't showing any difference between those kind of Mexi fans, and a lot of you right now... =P
    Just my opinion.

OOO and before i got a reply with this: Yes even if Mex was better when it was 11 vs 11, they might lost, since they could't score... still didn't happen, we'll see what happends with out Hugo and prob with out Medf, in the wcq.

Cheers.

16. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    CR cant hang, just like the last two matches. Isnt it obvious? quite believing that conspirasy BS.

17. Costeño

Costeño New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I have watched most of the Gold Cup games, I am very disapointed with the level of play Mexico has been showing. I thought the game against Costa Rica was going to be a walk in the park, and it turned out that Mexico won it with some luck. I hope they improve or else they are going home early in Copa America.

18. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    you are one of the most mexican mexicans, you will never understand it, your team brings thousands of fans anywhere in the US, concacaf wants a US-MEX final and they force the refs to do that, its not mexicos fault, i am blaming concacaf itself, not the MXNT, I think mexico could be in the top10 of the world, they just need a real coach, and CR played like crap the first games, thats true, and so did mexico

Would you say we had honest refs in the US-panama and CR-Mex games?

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No se si sean honestos (o deshonestos), mae pero si eran malos.

Metro

20. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I havent even seen the games yet. I dont doubt that the refs were crap. But you win some you lose some. The way I hear it CR even hit the post with a man down or something more. That is futbol. Sometimes the refs are crap.

I know for a fact that the refs suck, but I think its mostly for idiocy. Like the one cuban linesman who couldnt get an offsides call right to save his life.

But as far as refs riggin a Mex US final, im not sure about that. Sure it would be cool, Im sure some refs would think it would be cool. But I have to trust that they are professionals, even if they are incompetent professionals.

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And you are one of the most Costa Rican of Costa Ricans so I don't think you will ever understand that hey Costa Rica just blew it

. Funny so after all these years of you spewing hate against Mexican futbol we are supposed to believe that now you think they can be a good team.:rolleyes:

22. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i always say mexico is a good team, i just never support them :D Thats why i don´t think they should be helped by the refs, but they get it when they need it, same as the US (in Gold Cups)

WATCH ESPN DEPORTES NOW!

23. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Watch them, i am pretty sure they will change your mind, watch both

24. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    The refs have been piss poor across the board. For the Ticos, you guys weren't in the game even when it was 11 v 11 so why cry foul? If you want to be pissed off at anyone be pissed off at your player that blew the wide open header in overtime.

And the Panamanians really have no dog in this fight either b/c there were missed calls on both sides. Panama should have received TWO red cards (Donovan PK and Baloy handball) before the Gooch incident.

The ref in the US/Guat game was horrible and most of the calls went against the US....where's the conspiracy there?

Spilled milk.

25. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have a Mexican or American ref for a Mexico v. USA match than these terrible Central American/Caribbean refs we've seen lately. And before I get jumped on, I'm not saying bad things about Central Americans or Caribbeans in general, just these damn officials. Hell, if we can find a Mexican-American ref, you know, dual citizen or second generation or something that would be great. Hmmm... maybe a Canadian would be ideal, but I haven't seen many of them.