Match #22 - Costa Rica vs Mexico (pbp/discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MoRado, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The truth is that Mexico dominated the game while the ticos sat inside the bunker hoping for some kind of miracle, a long ball, a set piece, etc. Because Costa Rica didnt have offensive punch, and the game reminded close because unlike the central american or caribean teams, the US also, Mexico doesnt bunker, but keep looking for the second goal.

There is a lie around, that the distances are getting closer in CONCACAF, all central americans bunker against Mexico, and look good only as far as Mexico is playing badly. grow up and play some football, the last foul against Blanco was one of the most brutish display of tuggery I've seen, and Savorio had been giving constant sneaky fouls the whole game he oviously tried to head butt el Maza, the ticos lost it, in every way

2. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    The only one who dominated anything was the ref. Cuatemoc's mom would have probably been a fairer referee.

Costa Rica lacked offensive punch? Mexico was the one that played with more players the majority of the game and needed extra time to score a goal.

You are a sad delusional Mexican, I'm probably being redundant by saying sad and delusional. Mexico didn't even deserve to beat Panama and sure as hell would have lost to Costa Rica if they had 11 men the whole match.

3. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Re: Match #22 - Mexico vs Costa Rica (pbp/discussion) [R]

seriously.....

4. NitroGuy

NitroGuy New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    North America
    Dude....... Bla Bla Bla.... Mexico wins/ Costa Rica Looses... Simple as that....

5. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    For simple minded people like you, I'm sure that's all there is to it. Or you must be one of those Tri fans that are in denial. Don't worry if Mexico reaches the final and lose you can blame it on the conditions of the pitch:rolleyes:

6. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA

a win is a win...is not Mexico's fault that your players(unlike other times) just came out to bunker and kick players left and right..ive never seen Costa Rica make so many fouls before...i still can't believe people still blame the reff for your players dirty plays...i knew this was going to be that kind of game when your players had like 8 fouls in the first 12 minutes, then your goalie falling to the ground for no reason and acting up...i sure didnt see him falling to the ground once they were losing...

for all the talking the CR players did this week, they sure didnt show anything today..not even when they were 11 on 11.

Mexico played like shit...they should've won easily...they had the ball when the 22 players were on the field but with Costa Rica bunkering they couldnt do anything and then they couldnt score a single goal in the second half...

7. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

Mexico hardly won anything with that performance. Can you explain how the first two red cards had any merit? Didn't think so.

The first one was given to a player that was 15 yards away from a foul who was sent off for "dissent". Completely ridiculous. The second red card was given for a supposed head-butt that never even made contact to a flopping Mexican player.

You should be embarrassed that your "powerhouse" team, lol, needs to play with two extra men, the ref on their side AND extra time to beat a depleted Costa Rica 1-0. Mexico, concacaf giants? LMAO

8. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    You know i will have to give it up for the ticos. Never quiting

they did a great job with 10 men in their box. Mexico had a difficult time trying to score because of all the bodies.

MExico played OK, not it's best futbol but best so far in the gold cup.
    Costa rica played with 10 men and mexico scored. after mexico scored costa rica lost it. giving dumb fouls. talking back to the refs. just really dumb stuff.

MExico still has a lot of work to do. But a good win. I don't think that the US ref woke up today and said " today i will help my mexican friends win this game" quit your whining, the ticos played hard but didn't deserve the win. they lacked a lot. They were scared from the beginning, as soon as mexico pressured they would drive long balls that lead no where..

Good games ticos...

9. alchemist009

alchemist009 Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Just got back from the game. Both games were alot better this time around.
    Mexico def. dominated los ticos. Costa Rica had trouble finding an offensive groove while Mexico played better defense . Mexico kept putting on pressure so I knew it was only a matter of time before Mexico scored!
    I think it's funny when people argue the "what ifs" and " should ofs"..bottom line..Mexico deserved this win, They were the better team. The game with Guadalope should be an interesting one!!!

10. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah...:rolleyes: , you hardly crossed the middle line and defended like "good girls" holding to their panties, good by my friend, see you next Gold Cup, better luck then, you may have an easier oponent in the elimination round, like Gadaloupe....oh wait...:D

11. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Disgusting game. That first rediculous red card completely screwed us, but neither Costa Rica or Mexico came out to play the way they usually do. Mexico took advantage of a shit ref by diving all over the field, and we decided we wanted to brawl instead of playing our normal game. The ref clearly had it out for us, trying to give someone two yellow cards at one time, and sending someone off for the silliest dive I ever saw.

Mexico does deserve a little credit for at least trying(occasionally) to play some futbol, and so do we for attacking even when playing against 12 men. The only good player on the field was Porras, props to him.

If(and this is a big if) Mexico gets past Guadeloupe, I´ll put my money on the USA or Canada taking this thing, if they play the way they played today. CONCACAF has ALOT of work to do, I can see why we are a laughing stock in other regions of the world, after bullshit like this...

12. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Is a team that held their faces the entire game and rolled around on the ground like something went up their vagina calling someone girls:confused:

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For once I agree with you... :)
    Rep! :cool:

Metro

14. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Very interesting.

so whos putting a torrent up of the game?

15. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Mexico was just ridiculous in their theatrics, constantly rolling on teh ground and grabbing their face, just a total disgrace. Its apparent that mexico is no longer head and shoulders about everyone else, central american teams have closed the gap on them, they couldn't even score with a 4 man advantage, they definitely are no where near as strong as they think they are.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a three man advantage and they only had it for two minutes. The ref made a mistake with one of the red cards as he though he had already given the player a yellow when he had not.

17. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    A game to forget. It's hard not to think that a mexican win was the more 'desirable' outcome in the eyes of the refs, but at the end of the day, mexico goes through and CR goes home. Even with one man down, CR didn't give up on attacking and Badilla could have been the hero. Oh well, congrats to Mexico and good luck in the rest of the games.

PS: LOL at the ref giving Azofeifa a yellow and a red right away...what an overachiever! :D :D

18. Fueguisimo

Fueguisimo New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    L.A., CA.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the two man advantage, how long was that? ;)

What about the one man advantage? ;)

The ref only made ONE red card mistake?

Typical Mexifans.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Well, the second was surely a mistake. I think he's doubtful about the first one. We would be able to decide whether it was a mistake or not if we actually knew what the second yellow was given for.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I smell what you're cooking and I like it...... but in the end good teams find away to win. Did you ever doubt Mexico wouldn't pull it out? I didn't and I want to face them in the final.

21. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    People can say all they want about Mexico. Whatever. They got the win. When it was 11 v 11 Mexico was the aggressor (sp?). Going down a man is a good excuse to bunker, but it's not like CR was all that enterprising when it was even strength.

I wonder if CR really thought they could win this game. I think this was the perfect opportunity for CR to take it to Mexico being that Mexico has struggled all tournament (and I think they're opponents have more to do with that than just Mexico "not playing well"...give Honduras, Cuba, and Panama credit). It seemed like they were more interested in playing conservative than in playing their game. Of course, after they went a man down they had no choice. However, Cuba, Panama, and Honduras all had success against Mexico by being aggressive.

Mexico started the game without Blanco and Nery. All CR really had to do was shutdown Guardado (and thus shut down service to Borgetti) since Guardado's really the only player they started with a creative bone in his body. I think if CR played their game and had confidence in their abilities then the game would have been a little more competitive.

22. Fueguisimo

Fueguisimo New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    L.A., CA.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected Mexico to win, I'm not saying CR SHOULD have won. What I disagree with are all the "domination" comments by the tunnel vision Mexifans.

Good teams find a way to finish, and Mexico made it happen, good for them. But that doesn't take away the fact that they feigned their way into an 11-8 match. Whether it's someone on my team, or the Mexistars, diving in that manner is plain PATHETIC. Resorting to such weak strategy to gain an advantage is not football, it's cowardice.

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Mexico was the better team and they deserved to win. We're headed to a USA-MEX final, just like I figured all along. No shock there, regardless of how either of those teams have played.

24. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005
    I was watching the game from a restaurant today.... in Mexico. To say the fans were angry would be an understatement. I have all the respect in the world of the Tico team, but its a sad state of affairs when scoring a goal against them, in overtime comes more as releif.

Not that the hacking helped, but regardless, our team is playing all sorts of bad.

I have a question, how the heck is Guadaloupe fielding former french players?

25. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    They're an overseas department of France--a protectorate (like Puerto Rico is to the US). They're even a part of the European Union but they're not a country so they can't be a member of FIFA; this allows the players to represent Guadaloupe. Kinda like Spain has a couple of regional teams (seleccion de Catalunya, Asturias, Sevilla, etc) I guess Guadaloupe is like a regional French Team.