Maryland Terrapins 2019

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Fekula, Dec 17, 2018.

1. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 over Indiana tonight! Huge win. Indiana's first regular-season Big Ten conference loss since 2015.

BigRedFootie and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    The Terps made us look bad. Nice win.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Fantastic, but let's not peak too soon. There's a lot of work left to be done.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks.* I just hope we haven't removed our invisibility cloak too soon.

* I'm just an alum/fan with no connection to the program.

OverseasView repped this.
  5. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johannes Bergmann bangs home a header in the 100th minute to beat previously unbeaten Yale 1-0.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    After an up-and-down season ...

"The Terps head to the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals as the No. 5 seed where they will face off with fourth-seeded Northwestern in Evanston next Sunday. The game time is to be announced."

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think the NW game is important. It's a chance to reverse the only 'bad' loss of the season. More importantly, it's a chance to extend the season at home, first in the B1G tournament, then with a home game or two in the NCAA tournament.

Six losses:

Virginia
    @UCLA
    v Northwestern
    v Georgetown
    @ Penn State
    v Michigan

Not expecting much of a run this year, as we do not resemble last year's team, especially on defense.

Would love to be surprised ...

8. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    UCLA is 5-9-3....

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #84 TimB4Last, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Yes, but that's only a bad loss in retrospect. Edit: per @gauchodan UCLA closed out their season with 5 losses and 2 draws - winless in their final 7 games. At the time UCLA hosted Maryland, UCLA had beaten Northwestern and lost just 1-2 @ Indiana.

None of the Marylad losses were good losses. Penn State came from 2 goals down, iirc, and Michigan trailed 2-1 @ HT yesterday and immediately turned game after the break.

Thanks for your input, though.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Northwestern 0-1 Maryland in today's B1G tournament QF.

Semifinals Friday @ Maryland

Indiana (1) v Maryland (5)

Penn State (2) v Michigan (3)

Winners play in the B1G Final on Sunday afternoon.

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Added times...

BigRedFootie and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Why wouldn't the highest ranked team play earlier (more time to rest)?

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The B1G didn't want to give Maryland a greater advantage on Sunday?

No, you're correct, and when I originally checked, Indiana v Maryland was the early game. Not sure why they switched, except to play the primo game in prime time.

I think Indiana is the stronger team, top to bottom, but of course I thought that last year. And Maryland had their best game of the year v Indiana not so long ago.

Anyway, no matter how the rest of the B1G tournament plays out, I expect Maryland will get a home game or two in the NCAA tournament - the key was beating NW yesterday (after an up-and-down regular season).

We'll see how the ball bounces from here ...

14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I'm pretty sure it's because of (BTN) viewer interest.

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  15. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    You mean BTN wanted make sure the Wolverines were playing during Friday Happy Hour, right?:D

Real Mobile repped this.
  16. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Host team almost always decides what time that they want to play. From a MD perspective, playing at 7pm on Friday night makes sense for a larger pro-MD crowd which would be an advantage that Sasho would understand. It doesn't mean that the result will be the same from earlier this year.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And Maryland loses to Indiana 1-0, on a late penalty kick.

There are some parallels with last year - on to the NCAA tournament.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The NCAA tournament bracket is out.

Maryland is unseeded but will host the first game, v Iona. If successful we'll travel to Wake Forest. If we make it past WF, we'll play the winner of Michigan v Notre Dame/Wright State.

Better take this one game at a time.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I can't help thinking that if Maryland can get past Iona that Sasho will have a game-plan to get the Terps out of Winston-Salem with a win.

theatric7 repped this.
  20. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    I agree with this. Watching both of these teams play into the postseason, I wouldn't favor Wake at all. Sasho seems to take this team to the next level in the postseason. Should be a fun match if it happens..

21. Liverpoolian

Liverpoolian New Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Nov 27, 2018
    "I can't help thinking that if Maryland can get past Iona that Sasho will have a game-plan to get the Terps out of Winston-Salem with a win."

I can't help but agree with this after watching MD a good amount this year. Despite their injuries Sasho has a good recipe for tournament play regardless of who MD faces. Low risk, defend your A$$ off, and create a goal/chance on a restart or 2nd ball/knock down. It's no where near pretty but MD is a team that's comfortable without the ball and their back line is very good at not shooting themselves in the foot. Add that all up and you're facing a dangerous tournament team no matter who you are.

TimB4Last repped this.
  22. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yeah, not much to say. Tough Thursday-Sunday turnaround - if you're seeded that works in your favor, big-time. 13 of 16 well-rested seeds won yesterday.

Also undone in significant part by injuries this season, including a couple of season-ending injuries to essential players.

In truth, this season was very uneven, with a team that (unlike last year's team, with its sensational defense) never looked capable of of long NCAA tournament run.

fknbuflobo repped this.