Marvel Studios

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by General Disarray, Apr 4, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yes Yes Yes. Hiddleston felt so useless in this film. They just had to shoehorn him in. "Former SAS....bla bla bla."

Honestly, they didn't need his character in the film actually. I'd simply like Larson's character rising to the challenge and helping lead them along with the soldiers (like Whigham).

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Marvel claims that the "Captain Marvel" trailer got 109 million views in a single day. I'm going to assume that the incel hater boys aren't really going to put a dent in this movie's success.

Also, it's being released on international women's day! :ROFLMAO:

sitruc, LouisianaViking07/09 and Dante repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This has been the passion and desires for fans for over 2 years. It will be worth all we're hoping for.

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ooooh baby. I'm amazed so soon after Iron Fist.

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having seen Defenders I would suggest at least doing that one, some pretty key plot points there regarding where the Daredevil season is likely to start off.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think The Defenders is required. Luke Cage season 2 and Iron Fist season 2 refer to what happened to Matt in The Defenders, but it's just background, and it's not necessary to watch those before Daredevil season 3, but The Defenders is pretty central to where you will find Matt at the beginning of season 3.

Belgian guy and luftmensch repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Thanks!

Will Iron Fist make sense as a character within the Defenders if I haven't seen his show?

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Save yourself frustration; def skip season 1 of IF. You'll understand everything.

Btw ep3 was my fav

Smurfquake repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm going to go crazy and try to watch them all.
    In the order in which they were released.
    So "Iron Fist" season one
    "The Defenders"
    "Luke Cage" season two
    "Iron Fist" season two

If "Iron First" does suck too much in its first season, I can ditch it after a couple of episodes.

Dante and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh, it def does and you most likely will.

I suffered through all 13 episodes. But i'm a glutton for punishment

Belgian guy repped this.
  13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought IF season one was still better than Jessica Jones. I didn’t like season 1 and season 2 was awful, the worst Netflix show by Marvel yet. Season 2 of IF was a lot better than season 1.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Okay, I'm three episodes into "Iron Fist" the first season.
    I can see why people would deem this the weakest of all the shows.

For me there are three issues, two of them related to Finn Jones:

He lacks the gravitas to be a lead in a show like this (and I say this as someone who did enjoy his work on "Game of Thrones").
    He is not a very convincing fake martial artist and that is putting it lightly.
    The first two problems could be somewhat helped if the supporting cast was incredibly talented and charismatic. But with the exception of Jessica Henwick (a delight), they are all pretty forgettable. I liked Tom Pelphrey as the reformed Neo-Nazi turned cop in "Banshee" but his role in "Iron Fist" is clearly beyond him. The supporting cast is so underwhelming that it was a bona fide delight to get a bit of Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeri Hogarth in episode three. She basically lifted every single scene she was in to a level that this show hadn't reached that far.

luftmensch and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Six episodes into "Iron Fist" season one. A few more thoughts.

The elevator fight was really like a parody of the hallway fight in "Daredevil". That didn't really do this show any favors. Yikes.

Suddenly in the middle of episode five, we have Colleen Wing making googly eyes at Danny Rand. I knew that was coming, but the way it was handled was really weird. I sort of felt like one or two scenes had been left on the cutting room floor.

The fight against David Sakurai in episode six really didn't do Finn Jones any favors again.

I think it's probably truth that this might be the weakest Marvel show in terms of its writing. But then, I think almost all of the others also had episodes that were not much better (or at least not in their worst scenes) than this. But it helps to have great actors to sell mediocre lines. Iron Fist doesn't really have anyone like Mahershala Ali, Alfre Woodard, Janet McTeer, Vincent D'Onofrio, ... who can sell a line that only half works or distract us from the fact that the writing isn't all that original or memorable. If anything, there are some performers in there who occasionally perform below the quality of the writing (Tom Pelphrey).

Truth be told, I really only truly like Colleen Wing out of all of these characters. On that note, it took me forever to remember where I knew her (the actress) from: she played one of the Sand Snakes on "Game of Thrones".

MatthausSammer repped this.
  16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait until you get to season 2 of Jessica Jones, it's the worse Marvel Netflix season yet, yes, worse than IF.

BTW, Jones' martial arts gets better in season 2.

Belgian guy repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    season 1 IF was the worst. Season 2 of JJ was dreadful and terrible writing, but they at least had decent production values. Unfortunately, they made all the characters you rooted for into such bores and hypocrites.

onefineesq repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I've seen both seasons of "Jessica Jones". I mostly liked season two.

Once I'm done with "Iron Fist" season one the remaining Marvel Netflix shows I've yet to see are:
    "The Defenders"
    "Luke Cage" season two
    "Iron Fist" season two

My favorite of all the shows & seasons is still the first season of "The Punisher".

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The problem with "Jessica Jones" is that it's the Marvel Netflix show least interested in being a superhero show. Depending on how you feel about that, you will either hate it more or less because of it.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Up to episode nine.

Wow, I was briefly excited by the prospect of a trip to China but the pay-off was underwhelming, to say the least.

Lewis Tan was indeed charming and fun for like the ten minutes (perhaps fifteen minutes) he was on screen, but I don't really see why so many people were clamoring for him to have been Danny Rand instead. He would have been better at the martial arts scenes though. What stood out during that fight scene was that it was actually Lewis Tan in a lot of the more difficult stuff whilst they were once again putting a hoodie on Finn Jones so they could use a double who was better at the martial arts for almost everything but the reaction shots.

On the subject of the China trip, I realized something else: is this show somehow the stand-out in terms of having the lowest production budget out of all the Marvel Netflix shows? Because there are times it looks noticeably cheaper than any of the others. Never was this more apparent than in the China sequence.

The entire Howard Meachum subplot is not so great if you don't really care about the Meachums. Which, considering the writers haven't given us a reason to, will likely be the case for most of the people who watch this show.

There is a certain irony about the fact that the middle episodes in this series don't have the drop in quality that a lot of the other Marvel Netflix shows have, owing to the fact that in "Iron Fist" season one, the writing is mediocre throughout.

I do still really like Colleen Wing though. Could we possibly transfer her character to the "Daredevil" Marvel Netflix show? :p BTW, I only just figured out in retrospect that her cage-fighting outfit for the two-on-one fight was a nod to her comic book outfit. :ROFLMAO:

luftmensch repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    great point. I loved that about season 1 despite all the episodes where they let Kilgrave get away.

Belgian guy repped this.
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm now up to episode eleven.

Dear me, episode ten and eleven were a chore. Where did this show get the idea it had earned the right to devote two episodes in which our main characters largely sit around waiting for something to happen? The only thing that saved them a little bit was Davos, whom I like as a character.

There was also a moment during the only real action sequence (Danny and Davos escaping) that reminded me of the Jets vs. Sharks choreography in "West Side Story", which cannot have been the intention. :confused:

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dude, Davos is the absolute worst. And Joy is the most insignificant character ever. Yet, they keep giving her a huge role in the plot.

I'm amazed you're keeping with it. I don't think I'll ever watch season 1 again. Except for episode 6 (I think tha's the 1 directed by RZA).

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm done with "Iron First" season one.

I think I'm in the weird situation of not finding it to be very good but having put my expectations so very low based on how much people seemed to hate it that my final appraisal is, "Bad but not as bad as I had feared".

The main issues with the writing is that they devote a lot of screentime to a clan we do not care about (the Meachums) in a manner in which suggests they want us to at least care about Joy and possibly Ward too.

Beyond that, Finn Jones isn't great at the martial arts thing and his Danny Rand isn't a very charismatic hero.

In general, this show lacked truly likable characters other than Colleen Wing. I was happy whenever Claire or Jeri got a bit of screentime just because they are better characters than 80% of the Iron Fist characters.

My revised ranking after having seen the first season of "Iron Fist" is:

1. The Punisher
    2. Daredevil season two
    3. Daredevil season one
    4. Jessica Jones season one
    5. Luke Cage season one
    6. Jessica Jones season two
    7. Iron First season one

I do think Iron Fist season one is the worst by some margin. As for Luke Cage season one, if all thirteen episodes had been as good as the first six, it would probably have made my top three, but the latter half of that season is such a drop-off in quality that it only barely beats out Jessica Jones season two for me.

I'm going to go on and watch "The Defenders" now, which should be a breeze with just eight episodes and a lot more characters I like than in "Iron Fist". :)

I only just found out that "Iron Fist" seems to be the only of the Marvel Netflix shows to have changed showrunners between seasons one and two. Does this mean that season two of "Iron Fist" is tonally and narratively very different from season one?

Though I see now that "Daredevil" did this too for every new season.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So I watched episode one of "The Defenders". It's fun seeing all of these characters again.
    One thing I didn't get though. We end "Iron Fist" season one with Danny and Colleen arriving at K'un-Lun, only to find it has been attacked and apparently quite literally disappeared. Then we start "The Defenders" with Danny and Colleen chasing the Hand somewhere in Cambodia. So what about K'un-Lun? Or is this something that is explained more over the course of the entire season of "The Defenders"?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.