Marvel Studios

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by General Disarray, Apr 4, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh really? I didn't know that it finished production. Hopefully we might see a release in August or September at the latest

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shall we start it?

Are many here following?

I got a season pass for it so am commited

Smurfquake and sitruc repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm in for a separate thread. Selfishly I like this thread for Marvel movie and tv updates, but I normally wait a day or two to watch Legion.

Smurfquake repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/legion-season-1-fx.2039337/

[​IMG]

sitruc and Smurfquake repped this.
  5. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither, seeing Logan this weekend.

re; Logan - friend said it was good, quality cape-stuff so optimistic to see it in the theaters

re; Deadpool 2 - I'll remain cautiously optimistic like I did with the original - go in with very low expectations and be pleasantly surprised with what happened after 10 years of intellectual property hell, script rewrites, and make-do with 7 million removed from your budget.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm a Tuesday movie guy (aka cheap). I planned on going today, but I'm at RFK right now for the women's games. I'm going to be a Saturday morning guy for this one.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Logan was a goooooood movie.

Definitely not for the kids.

Worth seeing on the big screen.

sitruc repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I saw it this morning. Nothing about it or even the previews beforehand were for kids.

9. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely not. Saw it with a friend. His kids wanted to come but he said no way.

This will be good to watch on Blu-ray to get all the easter eggs and call backs and resolved references. My favorite, that I read elsewhere was from The Wolverine:

Show Spoiler

Yukio: I saw you die.
    Logan: What?
    Yukio: I saw you die.
    Logan: What? Just now?
    Yukio: A while ago. But it's not like I get a complete picture. More like looking through a keyhole. But I'm always right. All I can see is one part of a person's life... their death. And I saw yours.
    Logan: So, what did you see?
    Yukio: I see you on your back. There's blood everywhere. You're holding your own heart in your hand. It's not beating.

LouisianaViking07/09 and sitruc repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the kids love Wolverine. i'm pretty sure they're the only ones who saw Wolverine Origins twice

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Iron Fist has arrived

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the reviews are shit, at least for the first part of the season that critics received. We're planning to start it tonight.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i do wonder if the series continues that dreadful beginning or if it changes mid-way through.

It always seemed it would be difficult. IF is like a C or D list character. DD and LC are far more popular and have their niche status. Plus it isn't exactly like Marvel gave it the proper budget.

as of episode 3, the fight scenes are quite weak

MatthausSammer repped this.
  14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the same about the fight scenes in one of the reviews.

I think this is one case where maybe they should've altered the character to meet the times. The comics had already done that with Cage (ditching the cheesy blaxploitation suit, not calling him "Power Man"), so the show could just pick up from that renewed version of the character. But Iron Fist still reeks of the era he was created in, a rich white dude going to the Orient and learning from some mysterious society, and becoming better at martial arts than any of them. It's a pretty archaic concept for a character.

Smurfquake and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The fight scenes in LC ranged from intense to underwhelming. Though hard to effectively show it since all Luke had to do was 1 quick punch and his opponent was put in a coma.

These series need larger budgets. Hopefully The Defenders is jam packed with that and action galore.

I totally agree. We've seen Batman/Arrow/Iron Man all before not to mention so many others so poor IRON FIST comes along and he's just not relevant

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Iron Fist was dealt a losing hand. After they failed to cast an Asian actor in the lead role, they already had a section of the critical community against them. They then deliver a series that apparently does not match "Daredevil", "Jessica Jones" and "Luke Cage" quality-wise. So naturally it was utterly savaged by the critics. I think they could have at least saved themselves some of the vitriol if they had just given the lead role to Lewis Tan.

And yes, I know the original Iron Fist was Caucasian, but that's besides the point. The original Nick Fury was white too. Characters can change and Iron Fist was more or less the ideal series to address the lack of Asian representation on TV and in movies.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    though the argument of a White guy appropriating Asian culture is quite interesting. Thinking only Asians are good at martial arts. But of course as you say they were dealt a losing hand.

Seriously Finn Jones was underwhelming. The writing was weak. The action scenes were weak. But his acting just wasn't up to par. Lack of charisma. Luckily the supporting cast were all excellent IMO especially Colleen and Ward.

18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never that hot on Jones in this role, thought he was pretty "meh" as Loras in GoT.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I don't buy into this. Cast an Asian guy to appease a segment of people who never read the comic. Danny Rand didn't become the best martial artist of all time, he was taught by some of the best and he gained the power of the iron fist. Plenty of people that can still kick his ass.

If Marvel wanted to have an Asian lead Kung fu series, just have a Shamg-Chi show. Let's be real, a majority of people have no clue who Iron Fist is, same with Shang Chi, they could still do something for him. They already have an Asian hero, use him.

condor11, Dills and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Agreed. Some folks just took the criticism and ran with it and enjoying the faults of the series. And it def has faults but Danny being White isn't 1 of them. The woeful action sequences and dire dialogue is.

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that those people who never read the comic are absolutely necessary for shows like this to survive. Not that they need to be appeased, but to not acknowledge that this kind of plot/character does smack of cultural appropriation is just naive. For better or worse, that's the world we live in.

Though like is pointed out above, that likely wouldn't matter as much if things like acting, dialogue, and action were first class.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This is what I meant. They had made a choice that already had angered a section of both their potential audience and the critics. Then they delivered a series that is apparently not up to the same standards as the other three Netflix Marvel series. So of course they are getting savaged both by the critics and by viewers on social media.

luftmensch repped this.
  23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not one to jump on the cultural appropriation argument, because I've seen plenty of times where it was a caucasian that was replaced by someone else, totally changing that character. I hate when they do it to any character (i.e. I'm a HUGE Ghost in the Shell fan, and am not pleased that they have ScarJo playing the Major).

I've only seen one episode so far, but I can see the argument against Finn Jones. I wasn't a fan of his casting, but am willing to give him a chance. So far he's been the most underwhelming part of the show for me. I'm a massive Iron Fist fan, have been for a long time, so I'm happy to see him on the screen. I just hate the arguments I've seen from a lot of people online about how Marvel got it all wrong because they case a white guy as a martial arts expert. Hell, a lot of those people had no clue that Danny Rand was caucasian to begin with. It's soured me to the entire argument.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it's really a bad sign for a series when the face of the show is the most underwhelming part of the entire thing. We may not see a season 2.

I do wonder how much of an effect the critical beatdown will have on viewers

sitruc repped this.
  25. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, seven episodes in, it's gotten better -- spoilers for the spoiler thread, but yeah, Danny is the weakest link in the show. The other characters are much better to watch now - Ward and Harold and Joy started off as really one-dimensional but they're all much more interesting halfway through the show.

sitruc, luftmensch, Dante and 1 other person repped this.