Martin Rogers Yellow Journalism

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Sanchito, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I came across this article last night and was outraged by this so called reporter who comports himself and writes like an unabashed fanboy.

Here is his article and you can read the sour grapes, his borderline racism, and his god awful analysis on how the game shook out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_y...F?slug=ro-usamexico081209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

In the article he refers to Mexicans as "animals", he martyrs Donovan by trying to bestow some semblance of class on his post game reactions, and he retells an unverified second hand account from a "neutral" observer of an act that was supposedly done by a Mexican fan.

Disgusting. I literally now hate this a$$h0l3.

TrDm1n3r, Colima24, sidspaceman and 3 others repped this.
  2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Welcome to the club.

Like I said Rodgers is pure scum.

3. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that guy is the definition of a classless spazzo

i can't believe he gets paid to write articles like that

he once wrote an article about 2-3 years ago calling Adu the next big thing in soccer and the one that will take the Nads to great heights. he went as far as to compare him to Pele

so aside from being a classless moron, he is also delusional

TrDm1n3r and JJV1994 repped this.
  4. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I never knew he was that hate-filled. It's truly shocking and a discredit to yahoo soccer. It was really borderline racist and can fuel an already dangerous hatred toward a people who are already looked down upon. It's damn near close to yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theatre.

JJV1994 repped this.
  5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nothing new, many spazzos are classless, delusional, and racists

JJV1994 repped this.
  6. El Ote

El Ote New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Wow this guy is one of the biggest pieces of shit walking around...

Moreno, an official from Panama, delivered the worst refereeing display I’ve seen in the last decade.

JJV1994 repped this.
  7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I see his reporting as a blessing in disguise.

--------------------------

It was that attitude that kept the FMF, the media, and especially the fans delusional. I will be the first one to admit it.

I remember the 2000 US Cup where the US beat Mexico 3-0. I thought to myself, "aaaa no worries, it was Pumas dressed up as El Tri." Prior to the 2000 US Cup, the US had gone 5 years without beating Mexico. That was the consensus. THe only thing that mattered was the famous " El shopping"

I then remember a couple months later ordering a PPV match between the 2 teams. I remember a very "watered down" Mexican team that lost 2-0 zero to a bunch a young inexperienced US team. That's really one of the 1st times I remember watching Donovan.

Then the 2001 WCQ match in Columbus occured and by that time, Mexico was in a downward spiral during the Meza era.

They faced each other in Aztc stadium and Mexico won.

Then they faces each other again before the WC, where the US won a match... and then the World Cup occured...:(

Throughout that whole time and leading up to the WC match, the media and the fans had this superiority complex and shrugged out those previous matches as if, "ohhh those werent Mexico's best teams or best times"

In contact sports (boxing, MMA, wrestling, etc), there is a mentality amongst the fighters to never allow your opponent to get up and out grow you. I don't mean this in an unsportmanlike conduct where you dont allow your rival to get up, I mean that mentally, you want to keep your rival scared shitless of you.

The Mexican media in some regards allowed for the US to grow. They did not really criticize or hold people accountable for those losses to the US. Mentally, Mexico allowed the US to dust themselves off, get up, and fight back. And previous to all those matches leading up to the 2002 WC, those younger guys from the US teams saw a Mexican jersey and thought they could beat it, it did not matter to them who was wearing the jersey.

-------------------

The only difference that I see between then and now, is that the entire American footie establishment (fans, media, and the USSF) are shrugging off these 2 defeats.

How many times have you heard over and over by (even the USSF president) that the team that was at Giants Stadium will not be the one in Azteca.

8. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what? complex? :eek::D

9. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    jajaja....this is futbol not real life...but good call.:D

10. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    The tone of his article is stunning. I was really shocked when I read it and it prompted me to give him feedback using that Yahoo form. I know he will never publish it nor read it but I was that outraged. That being said, I hope you're right RDL. A Mexican Futbol renaissance of sorts where every result is important and everyone is held accountable from top to bottom.

11. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow, that article just shows how hurt he really is.

That guy has been through alot in a span of what a month?

Blowing a 2-0 Lead in the Confederations Cup Final.

Getting Blown out by your bitter Rival 5-0 in a Regional Championship match.

Talking shit saying our team is ''mad'' about that 5-0 loss and claiming that they will finally win at Azteca. Only to play their gay bunkerball tactics and lose yet again to Mexico.

They guy had to watch El Tri score 7 goals on his beloved USMNT in a span of 17 days. I understand his pain.

This however does NOT justify that kind of writing.

Its simple, he is hurt BADLY. Hell it looks like he was crying while writing that. His national team has had a really painfull summer, while his rival is flying high.

JJV1994 repped this.
  12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The thing is that 99.9% of the so called journalist that cover the nads are spazzos. They are simply not real journalists.

JJV1994 repped this.
  13. Coster

Coster Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Hermosa Beach
    Including the bloggers here on BigSocccer. Excuses galore.

Anyway, don't give yahoo any time of day. And please don't respond to this guy because that tells them people are reading their garbage. They don't care if it's accurate or has integrity, they just want to attract readers. They've been slinging unstubstianted trash about USC for years so they can make a name for themselves. It doesn't matter that they don't have any real to report. All they care about is traffic to their site. So please, just forget this because the more you pay attention to it the more you'll see it.

14. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I never really hated U.S. fans as a whole and as a matter of fact I watched the game with a pizza place full of their fans and they were really cordial (more casual fans caught up with the instant rivalry by the few Mexicans that were there). But BigSoccer has really made me hate them to a point where I almost feel ashamed of myself.

The BigSoccer fans are truly racists. They are not football fans, they are racists that happen to follow football.

JJV1994 repped this.
  15. golpealhigado

golpealhigado New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Santa Ana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    those are the same fans that you were hanging out/w at the pizza joint. Just feel a lot tougher at home behind a keyboard....

JJV1994 repped this.
  16. Alva

Alva Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Naples, Fl
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don't worry I sent him and email........... He won't be leaving his house for a couple of days.:D

JJV1994 repped this.
  17. panda loca 87

panda loca 87 New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    california
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i read the article and thought id log onto bigsoccer to read and see what you guys thought. and well i personally have to say that this guy is for burnt about mexico beating US. and im glad that we beat them. for the simple fact that people like this show how stupid they are. mexico won the whole game with goals, possession, and skill. if US wanted to win they should have prepared better. instead of making bs excuses about the altitude or fans. THe US would love to have the kind of following we have here in mexico. they are jealous in so many levels. reporting like this makes me very upset towards the US fans. but i shouldnt feel that way because there are many Us fans out there who love soccer and hate to see this kind of shit.

I watched the game at a restaurant here in town. it was chill there were US fans and MEX fans. at the end of the game we were all cool. and happy to see a good game. when mexico lost to US the first game in the qualifiers. we all acknoledged we sucked. we didnt play well. we didnt blame the weather or anything like that. we just didnt show up. lost our heads and lost the game. we dont rely on bullshit excuses.

18. katara

katara New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I don't see anything so bad about the article. The author may be a U.S. fan and therefore trying to soften the blow of a loss, but he did give Mexico some credit. For instance, he says "However, Mexico’s Israel Castro tied the game with a superb long-range strike midway through the first half, and from that moment on, the U.S. was in a fight for survival," which is an accurate descripton of the game. He was obviously less than impressed with El Tri fans and the referee, but I just don't see anything so racist or horrible about this article. He said the fans were allowed to "behave like animals without fear of sanction" not that they or all mexicans were animals.

19. tinieblas01

tinieblas01 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Florida by way of Tx
    Club:
    Club América
    lol you could say the same thing about the Mexican press

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Not really. They're quick to criticize the Tri. Nad press are spazzo to the core,

JJV1994 repped this.
  21. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Agreed 100% as we started posting in BS when the Nads started beating Mexico. The Tri-Pumas had Gerardo Torrado and Horacio Sanchez! Just though I throw that out there.. And well, for the most part we all had our excuses.

Anyways, that was the first win for Bruce Arena who had been defeated twice by Lapuente. The Tri-Pumas, however, was coached by Hugo Sanchez. Then Meza took over and the losses piled on; by the time Aguirre took over the damage had been done.

That match pretty much turned the tide to the U.S favor and I have been telling the Yanks that the 5-0 win at the GC final did the same for Mexico. They are not accepting this but already against Mexico; which Aguirre at the helm; the U.S has suffered two defeats and has seven goals against. If the teams are to meet again then the pressure will surely be on their side and that will play to Mexico's favor.

I am not surprised about the Yahoo article. I read one back in 01 I believe from USA Today where a femal journo posted that it was common at Azteca for the fans to throw feces. I called her out in BS and she didnt want any of this. Rogers, btw, also posts on Big Soccer.

22. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They're too quick for my taste...

23. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How could you not see anything bad?

He shot off some pretty serious accusations of fan behavior that was not caught on tape or he did not see himself. Completely unsubstantiated and more than likely a lie made up by him or his nad fan source. Who in that stadium could have been a neutral?

Disgusting.

JJV1994 repped this.
  24. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    I took the article as sour grapes and an attempt to say well you may have beat us on the pitch but your fans are still a bunch of "classless animals." Broad generalizations and indictments of the Mexican fan are all they have. These kind of reactions don't surprise me because the U.S. just lost two games (one brutal azz-raping and the other a heart-breaker). U.S. fans and players have to rationalize it some way, that's just the American way, and if it means chalking up these losses to having a Z-team on the field, or swine-flu contaminated Donovan on the squad, well, that's just what they're going to do. They began to underestimate Mexico and just think that they could beat us by the sheer fact they tend to be taller. Muscle-mass, height, nutrition, all of these are important, but great skill, technique, endurance, and huevos can level things out as we're beginning to see. We all know that the U.S.'s wins over the last years (when the full squads played each other) all played out in the same way: we attacked, they bunkered, we screwed up defensively, they countered and scored, and we fell apart. Had we had any consistent finishing in any of those games those 2-0s may have ended in 3-0s and 4-0s in Mexcio's favor. They've never outplayed us to a point to where you felt that the team was $hit (well, perhaps the last game in Columbus). It's always been our lack of finishing and their efficient execution of counter-attacks. We finally have players who can put some goals in, and a coach that instills the attitdue that goals can be found even if we're losing. If we score our goals, they will rarely beat us. All that said, I still think that throwing beers at players or uninstigated at opposing fans is indefensible. Grant Wahl alleges that someone dropped two beers on his laptop at the game on purpose. If true, that's inexcusable.

25. finalrequiem

finalrequiem Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everyone besides U.S. fans should. For another reason, though. It's this stupid attitude that allows our federation to do whatever they want. A big part of our fans and almost every single member of the "media" that covers them besides Trekker does nothing but make excuses and blame everyone and everything else. The teams were very well behaved considering some of the past match-ups and it was fairly evenly called by the ref. The team that is chasing all game is going to tackle more and is going to foul more. Plus we have shown time and time again that we play sloppy, MLS-style soccer that doesn't fly anywhere else. We got, once again, taken to school and shown that you can't just be bigger and faster. Skill and good tactis are necessary and even in one of the "darker ages" in Mexican soccer, you STILL have more of the two than us. Idiots like this just give U.S. Soccer an excuse to keep putting crap out on the field time and time again while riding the last great result and never expecting better. The Mexican media may go too far and the FMF may change too much but there is a reason Mexico has gotten better results internationally on a more consistent basis. And it isn't because we have the NBA, NFL, et al to compete with, that's crap too.

Anyway, congratulations and some of us love our team enough to put criticism where it belongs and can see through the sh!t and excuses.