Marseille 2016

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by jamfactoryken, Nov 9, 2015.

1. unicfox

unicfox Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been a supporter for so long, the only option I have in this other worldly situation we are in is to get carried away. Indeed, anything else wouldn't make any sense!

2. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I'm a Liverpool fan but I am secretly cheering for your lot.......but I am bit of fan of fairytale football moments and Roy of the Rovers.

unicfox repped this.
  3. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    As Premier League Champions can't you just float back?!!

unicfox and Stuckin1au repped this.
  4. monkeyspunk

monkeyspunk Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Sunderland, England
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tough game for your mob next week mate

5. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm a Blackburn fan and an even bigger fan of Kenny of the Rovers - the only team to lift the Premier League trophy at Anfield! ;) Not talking about our current state of affairs though...

Also staying in Marseille, flying down from Paris for England vs Russia the first time round, not booked a hotel, gonna drink after the game until we can't take it no more, head to the airport for our 7am flight back to Paris the next morning. Then spending 2 nights/1 full day watching France Albania later in the trip. The match isn't until 9 so we were gonna day trip to either Cassis or Aix-en Provence in the morning/afternoon, trying to decide which to pick...

Stuckin1au repped this.
  6. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    You can definitely drink until dawn in Marseille and on a Saturday night you will not be the only one looking for late night beers. That said most bars shut at around 2.00am, and you need to search a little bit to carry on after that. And if anything untoward happens earlier in the day then the CRS may shut things down. They did in 1998. We will probably be going to Cours Julien after the game, avoiding the VP at all costs!! There are a few late night bars there.

As to where to go during the day, I would plump for Aix. It has three Saturday markets, mostly morning, is a pretty town and only about 30 minutes away from St Charles. The train station in Cassis is quite a way from the port, which is all there really is to see.

7. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Sounds like the go

8. VaiBrasil

VaiBrasil Member

May 20, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Aix is amazing, and Ken's right about those Saturday markets, absolutely phenomenal experience.

9. unicfox

unicfox Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have managed to cope so far. All the games are tough in this league, ask Chelsea and Man City. And Arsenal, and Spurs!

10. monkeyspunk

monkeyspunk Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Sunderland, England
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No games are eas in this league mate. What i think it lacks in quality it more than makes up for in anyone being able to beat amyone no matter where they are in the league. Ive been rooting for your lot for a while now although I will be wishing defeat on you next week obviously. Been impressed with some of your lot this year. The Japanese lad you have is a proper workhorse of a player. Never stopped against us and in all honesty we got battered this year. Think us lot were in total shock after 30 mins how poor we were. Saying that we still had chances to get back in the game and I'd never have tipped you lot based on what I saw. But the more iv seen of Leicester the more impressive they have looked and are now coming up against teams who are letting them have the ball and having to break them down as others are sitting back but tbf you have managed to grind wins from those too. Met a few canny Leicester lads when you were up our place to guarantee your survival last year so hoping you indeed do stick it up to the big boys and win it. Hope you had a wager on your team in august

11. unicfox

unicfox Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Love your name MS!
    Put not a penny on, I would never in my wildest dreams have thought this could happen.
    I hope you stay up, for me Newcastle have deserved to go down for a few years now, and their owner certainly deserves it. All the best, hope to meet you in Marseille. I'll be in blue!

12. monkeyspunk

monkeyspunk Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Sunderland, England
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well for me newcastle just deserve to go down because the fans make themselves look stupid on TV whenever they are interviewed and have delusions of grandeur imo. I think we will go down dye to the fact we chased advocatt all summer and therefore couldn't get anyone to see past a 1 year plan. Had we got smashed in the summer I'd reckon we would be more than comfortable by now. But you can't write a summer and the first 8 games off and expect to survive. Some very poor decisions made by the club. But what will be will be. Look out for the safc county durham flag . I will be the guy carrying it

unicfox repped this.
  13. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    We can have a flag off!!!! From Brasil 2014, and for France 2016.

Attached Files:

unicfox repped this.
  14. unicfox

unicfox Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not quite with you with the Newcastle fans. You are supposed to have a go at them. I remember last season when they travelled in huge numbers to play us at 1 on a Saturday. Carver was in charge and they were gutless, poorest I've seen in PL. Those fans deserved better

15. monkeyspunk

monkeyspunk Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Sunderland, England
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    they weren't much better than us first half last week. We just didn't take advantage.
    The most gutless performanc uv ever seen was from them v us under poyet 0-3
    Totally unforgiveable imo
    The one thing you can't knock them for is their travelling support mind you. But their home support is fairly quiet even when we play them ( possibly due to their performances v us lately)

unicfox repped this.
  16. Thomas1930

Thomas1930 Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Does anyone know a place to park a van or a camper in Marseille?
    When I went to Klagenfurt and Vienna in Austria in 2008 UEFA organised big camping fields for the fans. It doesn't look like they gonna do anything similar this time around.

17. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was talking to some lads in the pub on Saturday about the Euros. They're giving them a miss unless England get to the knock outs this time round. However, they did say the trouble in Marseille in 98 was horrendous. Lasted three days and not easy to avoid. Couldn't see it being a lot better this year. Any good counter arguments to this? Obviously England's away support has changed substantially since but Marseille locals will not necessarily know or care. I want those of you on here who are going to have a great and safe time.

18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just do a normal google search for campsites near Marseille. There are bound to be a few.

19. Thomas Kirkwood

Thomas Kirkwood New Member

May 5, 2016
    Hell
    Club:
    Barnsley FC
    Hello everyone! Been an avid lurker of this forum for some time but decided to make an account now because i needed some help.

Myself & 3 friends are getting to Marseille at 1am on the 11th June, however we cannot check in to our accomodation till 10am ish.

We were wondering if theres anywhere safe to spend a few hours here or there just to kill time until we are able to check in.

Thanks for reading.

20. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    MyB5, Winny1994 and VaiBrasil repped this.
  21. Winny1994

Winny1994 New Member

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
  22. Canon

Canon Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So I ended up modifying my trip and will only be in Marseille for three days. Do you guys recommend booking boat trips ahead of time or do you think I could get away with getting it day of?

This is my first tournament so what time do people usually head to the game? I have tickets to the QF and KO is 2100 but gates open at 1800. Should I be there for 1800? (So head there around 1700) Thank you!

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be daft getting there that early. You'd be sat in a virtually empty stadium for an hour before anyone else turns up.

Security will probably be tight and thorough, and I'd allow at least 30-45 minutes for getting into the ground from when you get there.

Beyond that, it's really just a case of your personal preference of how early you want to be inside the ground.

It shouldn't take an hour to get to the stadium either, although it depends on where you start from, and whether you decide to walk rather than take the metro.

I'm not sure what the food options will be like inside. They might have beer, or it might just be alcohol-free beer, and the food will no doubt be overpriced, as always. Definitely eat before going to the ground.

Canon repped this.
  24. DJGrizzlyPaws

DJGrizzlyPaws Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have a spare bed in a hotel room just on outskirts of Marseille for the England Russia game 11 and 12 June. If anyone needs a place just let us know. It's a cheap Ibis Hotel. Cheers.

25. celtic67

celtic67 Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Australia
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Anyone selling 1 nights accommodation in Marseille the night of the semi-final?

We've had a last-minute cancellation and now need to book something else, preferably central. If anyone has anything spare that they are no longer using please let me know.