Marriage

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Toon³, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...with another woman? :eek:

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Let's not forget the video camera....

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was freaking out the few days before my wedding. It was sinking on me that I was hooking up not just with hubby, but also all the extended family. I was thinking it was a very bad move for me. Well, today is my 24th anniversary. Guess that was just nerves.

4. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

"And I'm not picking on love... 'cause I don't think friendship exists either."

5. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for a change, why not emphasize some of the bad bits, not the good ones.

6. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I am still married after many more years than 10 and in the end, I have to say,

you might want to trust your instinct.

I think of nothing worse than those folks who say -- go for it, it'll work out.

Of course it will work out. It usually does. If I moved to Houston now it would work out, but that doesn't mean it is the best thing for me.

I am a good man and I married a good woman and our kids are great. But am I so self rightous and cocky and unimaginative to think that this is the only way it could have and should have worked out? I think that is blind.

If you love your about to be and it feels right, do it. If it doesn't -- if you feel scared, you should think about it.

And if you take the plunge, it will work out. Because you are a good and honorable person and you will love your spouse and kids.

Because that is what good married people do.

[There was the awesome short story I read in the new yorker about 15 years ago, and in the final scene, a husband is looking in on hs sleeping wife, and he realizes that he doesn't and has never really loved her, and that he wouldn't change anything at all if he could have, because his life was as it was meant to be. It was an amazing story and I never was able to remember who wrote it and what the title was. ]

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, lest superdave look this up someday and call me a liar in some bizare superdave internet wrestling match, I was only responding to the "youth ending comment". Oman, good stuff.

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I rarely scroll through this forum (since I am not a parent or married, etc) but I found this thread interesting.

Something I dont understand (or maybe I just dont "get it") is my newly married friends resentment to not being able pull off having guys night out on a somewhat regular basis.

Now, if they they simply conceded that getting married was the end of it, and accept it, thats one thing. But why didnt they discuss this type of thing (isnt a night apart perhaps healthy for a husband and wife??) b/4 they got married.

Its like they were blindsided by it. Personallly, I would want my wife to get together with her friends while I had poker night every thursday, etc.

And sometimes the excuse is a "trust" issue. (Wives think XYZ is a bad influence, etc.) If that is the level of insecurity that is part of a marriage, what does that say about the foundation of the marriage??

Not that there is a right or wrong answer, but I find this type of thing mindboggling.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    About your point Boston. I've been married for eight months now. Before that, my wife and I had been a couple for five years already, and had already moved in together while still in college.

In retrospect, that (the moving in together) was a much bigger change in life-style than the marriage. Each spending time apart with our friends is something we already did back in college and still do today. It is something we both value. Too many of our friends completely go off the radar while in a relationship, which is something that never made much sense to either of us. Getting married has changed nothing in that respect for both of us. We still go out seperately with our respective friends several times a month.

As you alluded to, it's all a matter of trust. But then, did those women trust their men prior to getting married? Or were nights out with the guys already a problem prior to the nuptials? If a person has a problem with going out seperately before you're married, this won't change after getting married.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say you have a church wedding.

The bride goes down the aisle to the altar while the organ plays a hymn.

And that's what she's thinking the whole time-"I'll alter him."

Causes a lot of trouble,that.

On a serious note,I'm getting married again Saturday,and I feel very lucky to have found someone who won't do that.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think by the time we got married, my wife had given up any illusions about changing me. :D

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, having time apart is very healthy for a marriage in my opinion.

It was kind of funny for me, when I got married--all my single friends acted as if I had died or something and stopped calling, emailing, etc. I tried to get together with them and they thought it was too weird to be hanging out with a married lady, apparently. Kinda lame but perhaps understandle in some ways.

13. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are all too correct with this assessment. People at FC Dallas games ask me why I don't try harder to bring the wife, but truth be told game nights are 'guys nights' to me. I can drink heavily, smoke a cigar, curse loudly, and act like I'm in 10th grade, and I need that every once in a while. Its also her night to watch one of those woman-beating Lifetime movies with her best friend, or shop with her sister.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we still lived around people I knew and was friends with before we married, it was logical and easy to spend time with my friends without my wife. But as we've moved and put down roots elsewhere, the tendency is for us to make friends with couples with whom we do things. I go to the odd late night basketball game with some friends, but am not interested in doing much without my wife and/or kids in our current dynamic.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more or less there myself--we moved to Virginia together, so my entire life here has been as part of a married couple.

I do like the occassional night out on my own, though. I do enjoy DC United games on my own, although I actually wish the wife would come with me a little more often.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is like a Red Bull fan or something?

:D

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite your tongue.

18. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    "Can't imagine being with anyone else"

Has anyone here ever felt that way about their spouse? I never have.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't tell her that.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think my wife could keep a straight face if I tried that line on her.

21. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So if you're a woman that smokes cigars, drinks heavily and curses loudly, and ********ing hates the entire Lifetime channel lineup and all that sort of tripe - am I still a woman?

;)

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the cigar part, you are the most desirable type woman.

Unfortunately, there are not too many like you!

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I've got one....or rather she has me.:D

24. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way it is. We chase them until they catch us!

25. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that way about my boyfriend/partner. We're not married, but we might as well be. I honestly cannot imagine being with someone else. Before I met him, I didn't think I could ever spend my entire life with one person. Now I can't imagine a day without him. Sounds pretty ********ing sappy, but there it is.

As for spending time apart, of course that's healthy. If your spouse is not comfortable with it, it probably means there are trust issues which are a deeper problem. At the same time, my boyfriend and I rarely spend time apart. We have almost all the same interests. All his friends have become mine and vice versa. I'm not saying that this makes our relationship better; it just depends on the couple.

EDIT: Re-reading, it sounds like that second part is directed at you specifically, oman. It's not. I was just addressing the earlier comments.