Marciniak to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by MassachusettsRef, May 25, 2018.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polish media is reporting that Webb has invited Marciniak to officiate MLS matches and Marciniak has accepted. Unclear if it will be 2018 season after the WC or starting with 2019 season, but translation indicates he would come "several times" for "2-3 week intervals."

If true and confirmed, I would think PSRA might have something to say about this.

Polish-language link here:

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/pilka-n...a-w-swiat-polak-bedzie-sedziowal-w-usa-i-azji

2. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Is MLS the only soccer league where the referees have their own union and CBA?

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 MassachusettsRef, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    This thread gained no traction here, but for what it's worth several MLS referees were told in no uncertain terms by Webb that the story--at least as it relates to MLS--is not true.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. Didn't the Scottish referees' union strike a few years back? That's just one case that comes to mind.

IASocFan repped this.
  5. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What else would it relate to in US? Or do you mean the alternative is a move to China etc?

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China. The article said he’s going to China on contract and then had made an arrangement with MLS. The China part could still be true.

refinDC repped this.
  7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe with guys at the WC, injuries, having VARs suck up an extra ref per game, he may just come to help out with some of the summer friendlies so we have enough PRO guys to cover MLS? Just a random thought.

Although that sucks for our guys too, because those are the $$$$$ games.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the summer friendlies back to being Rick Eddy's assignment? Nothing or very little to do with Webb, from what I understand.

Also, Marciniak will be at the WC. The time of those summer friendlies will be the only break he has.

From asking around, I think this might just be a negotiating ploy via the media. "I'm going to the US & China" has a way of getting people's attention.

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Eddy and US Soccer assign those games from my understanding. They certainly assigned them last year, especially if you look closely at some of the assignments. You had local grade 6 state referees running lines on matches involving Barcelona.

I'm assuming it hasn't changed.