Pre-match: March Friendlies - Ecuador & Chile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. No, that's not the objective. The objective was to find a new coach, remember? When CEO's step down they do not stop all operations for 6 months to wait for the next Board of Directors meeting.
    2. A complete and total lie. Cordiero was under no compunction to create an additional administrative position that he would then devote months to fill, interviewing at least a dozen people.

Then, to top it all off, instead of conducting a thorough search for a coach, the USSF interviewed a grand total of 2 candidates who were in their backyard.

You can very well be perfectly fine with that. And 3G could be the best coach the USA has ever had.

But cut the crap, and stop arguing that the USSF being incompetent was actually them not being incompetent.

btlove, Ironbound, Namdynamo and 10 others repped this.
  2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gunner, you hit the nail on the head on your last two posts. Now I’m just fired up and mad and can’t fall asleep.

I am willing to give Gregg the benefit of the doubt but Lewis over Weah is a wild move.

3. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    There was an election and it did make sense for that new guy to make the hire.

Then the dude ran on hiring a GM. He said - if elected he’d hire a gm who would be responsible for hiring the coach. Wow - how surprising he then did what he said he would do before elected! It’s almost like he thought his promises to get elected were something like promises...

4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The timeline that USSF messed up has made this Gold Cup this summer that much harder to win considering we’ll only have Camp Cupcake, March and Pre-GC together and that’s it. This team should have been rolling together in the Fall and not begging the fed to hire a coach —read the quotes after the Italy game... the players are pissed.

The players clearly liked Dave as a guy, but they all were frusturated and wanted him gone. The process was a joke and and took too long.

Italy had Mancini on May 14, 2018.

Patrick167 and Winoman repped this.
  5. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Blah blah - nothing is messed up

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    60K empty seats in Arizona disagree with this statement.

btlove, yurch10 and Winoman repped this.
  7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Not really - USMNT win again and become fun to watch all will be fine

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Sometimes I wonder if our fanbase has peaked. An inept fed certainly isn't helping.

9. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think the tactics are fine for now. But they’d better give Morris 80 up top or they’re gonna lost both fixes.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If we make our foreign policies despicable enough, we'll have thousands of the immigrants of whatever country we're playing & their descendants coming from all over the country just to cheer for their team to beat us.

So there's a silver lining.

Pragidealist and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What’s the expectation for these two matches? Any idea on what kind of squad each team is bringing?

Chile is ranked 13th, USA 25th and Equador is ranked 53rd.

Assuming they bring their A teams, I think we should soundly beat Equador as it’s similar to playing Honduras/Panama at home in the Hex.

Chile is far tougher and I’d hope for a win but settle for a tie, given it’s a home match.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'If' ?!?

jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  13. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    Can anyone honestly say that they have watched all of Adams' RP Leipzig matches? Especially the last 2?

He has sent a very good player in Diego Demme to their bench. He has owned the DCM position. He is helping to command the #1 defense in the Bundes. He can motor and anticipate like to other. He inspires and motivates all of the players around him. Even the British announcers gush over his game and are comparing him to a young N'Golo Kante.

My #1 priority for these 2 upcoming friendlies will continue to be waiting for ggg to dump Bradley and Trapp, insert Adams at the #6, announce that this is his MNT position to lose, consider his request to Captain this team for the next WC cycle, and build from there.

You can even start a backline of Lima, Omar, Ream and Lovitz with Zardes starting as the striker and I wouldn't care at this point in time.

14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If this is what you want (and it's valid, of course), you might want to skip these games. MB will start one game, WT the other. For some reason (diagonal long balls!!), we are still trying to build around these guys.

My question is, if adams is this amazing right back (lol), where does that leave yedlin? Do we bench a starting PL defender because MB continues to be the chosen one, despite not being good for 4 years and leading our greatest embarrassment? Or does Yedlin move up to MF?

15. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't bench Yedlin off a shaky fall with Dave. He deserves a chance to regain his form against Chile and Ecuador.

btlove repped this.
  16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Obviously I agree w that. We don't have the depth to drop a starting RB. But in this amazing "system" that forces us to use a defensive midfielder who doesn't play defense, where does that leave yedlin when our champions league DM is sent to rb? Surely he can't be riding pine for MB/WT regardless of the "system" right?

btlove, Namdynamo, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  17. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    2019 Berhalter Dream Team

========ZARDES======
    MORRIS=========ARRIOLA
    ==PULISIC====McKENNIE==
    =======BRADLEY========
    LOVITZ============ADAMS
    ====BROOKS====LONG====
    ========STEFFEN=========

Patrick167 and schrutebuck repped this.
  18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    That actually looks like an interesting group to me... for one match.

Obviously, Berhalter is placing a couple of guys out of their club positions, and then there's also McKennie who is a position-less nomad due to foolish management at Schalke, but I would say this is a lineup worth seeing once. If it goes well, then we can see it again.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd like to thank you for debating this so we can remind everyone else besides you how ridiculous this process was. There was zero urgency on either hire and they determined their MLS responsibilities were more important than the national team. If the GMs role was so important, why did it take so many months.

Cordeiro was elected on Feb 10th and it took almost four months to name The Stewart on June 6th. Of course, Stewart didnt give two weeks notice or just resign like happens I'm sports all the time, he continued at philly for almost two months. Even more absurd was it then took Stewart four months to name berhalter which basically so he could finish out his season. Since it was clear that berhalter was the choice all along, he could have been named coach back in June after Earnie was hired.

Even if you believe this "process" was necessary, it all could have been wrapped in weeks or at least a couple of months instead of 10 months. Instead was happened was we wasted a year, players who performed well during that period are being ignored, the fed showed that they valued MLS jobs more than the USMNT, and MLS players are getting more opportunities than they should and foreign based players are on the outside looking in.

btlove, Namdynamo, Statman and 2 others repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    How can you not love a line up with Lovitz?

After watching the players he identified with the most get eliminated or benched while not qualifying in 2017, I got to think Pulisic ain't going to be too happy with this set up. I don't I have ever felt this way, but would have no problem with any of the euro guys having "muscle issues" for any camp that these crap call ups continue.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams is already a top player on the current #3 Bund club and a top 5-7 DM in the Bund. It's not only his transition to the Bund which has been impressive but there's a strong argument to be made he's already the glue that solidifies RB's midfield and defense.

I'd peg his transfer value at 25-30M€. Within a year that number will likely be a decent amount higher. He'll likely be in UCL next season plying his trade against true heavyweights.

If he gets bumped from DM for Baldy or Styrofoam Willie, it will be one of the biggest red flags US Soccer has ever seen. The reason being there's literally zero explanation or valid footballing argument for it. It would then lead to questioning is our coach one of the worst judges of talent we've ever witnessed or is he beholden to USSF/SUM who will pick part of the lineup for him.

majspike, btlove, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  22. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Have you ever had to get a board or commuter to make a decision? It can take time both for the business to occur during scheduled meetings, to deal with all the differing political issues, and do all the back channel conversations.

They had to do that twice. Once to design and approve the new position / with the debates on how it affected board power and power in the organization.

Then they had to do that with hiring the new person - where I guarantee you board members had different ideas on who that should be.

After all that there is the contract negotiations with top candidates.

So yeah / the timeline was reasonable.

All the complaining and whining about the timeline is childish.

And after all that - qualifiers are still a ways away. If we under perform in the Gold Cup - lets talk again.

But please bring an understanding of WHY things occur rather than ignorant whining.

Only by understanding what the original process looked like can you evaluate where they should have improved it

23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    #diagonallongballs and the system.

We are now good enough to bench a mid-table PL starter so a high-end BL DM can play his position so a couple below-average MLS-ers can have the spot they "earned"...

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Ignorant whining? Your blind acceptance of incompetance after the gross incompetence of not qualifying for the world cup is the most ignorant thing going on in here.

Have you ever seen how large organizations react in a crisis? I saw it first hand in 2008/09. Decisions that would usually take months were made in hours. Groups of people who it was near impossible to get together at the same time were meeting daily.

So yes, I believe they could have gotten a selection team together and gotten a GM signed in a month if they made it a priority. They could have told earnie he needed to start in two weeks or they would go with their second option. Assuming it was Earnie, he could just named Berhalter coach right then instead wasting months on a false search to convince people like you there was some grand process. That is what a competent fed would do.

The only thing that is clear from this "process" is they have got guys from the inner circle who being very favorable to MLS players. It is unclear whether Berhalter is the right guy and if his tactics will work or what he really means by culture. His player selection had been quite questionable. Instead of looking at past mistakes, he is ignoring foreign based players and instead focus on fixing the divided locker room by just calling up the most talented players, he is leaving some off for inferior MLS players.

btlove, Ironbound, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  25. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    That’s 1) not an organization run by committee/ board and 2) there is no time sensitive crises.

The only risk here is under performing at the Gold Cup- a tournament with limited long term significance.

The sky is not falling.