Manchester, welcome to Zlatan - The Zlatan Ibrahimović Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his press conference today, Jose has stated that the club will not stand in Zlatan's way, if he's looking to move. But he hasn't heard anything to that effect as of yet.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/42862121

2. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    @Ashur How old are you?

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 42. Why?

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's a harsh comment given the market at the time.

5. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Just wondering. I thought you were a bit older that's all.

6. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Signings are relative to the best in that generation, not best available in a particular window.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ya old.

jeff070 repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still feel (and look) pretty damn good though. ;)

benni... repped this.
  9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Zlatan no doubt wants to be part of a deep CL run that has us with an outside chance of making the CL final. We'd need to luck to get there but luck has happened before to clubs who've made it to the CL final.

Once our CL run is done I suspect Ibra goes to MLS.

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Astroturf and extensive air travel. Just what the body needs after a serious knee injury.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and johno repped this.
  11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I don't see Ibra lowering himself to those levels. I think he'll quit whilst at the top .

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He would have quit after his 1st year in PSG if that was the case. He lowered himself to that standard, he might as well do it again, for another pay check.

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Astroturf is a thing of the past, even in baseball. And the air travel in the US isn't as bad you think. You get used to it pretty quickly.

The rumor of the hour is that Ibra is going to LA Galaxy. We'll see. After a long career and more wealth than he can possibly imagine ever spending, it's a fair question to ask why he'd bother with more of this. All I can say is that for most futbolistas it's really not about the money, but the rush of competition and, perhaps in his case, being in the spotlight. And Ibra would absolutely be in the spotlight were he to go to MLS, especially LA Galaxy.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone who thinks Ibra is too much of a "competitor" to take a payday in the MLS is

A. Naive
    B. Forgetting that he went to PSG when they were a nothing French team with new money and got a huge pay bump.

barroldinho repped this.
  16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We shall soon see ...,

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was really referring to artificial surfaces and my point was informed by recent testimony of players who have been in MLS.

Several - Steven Gerrard for example - have commented on how they just weren't prepared for the toll that the extensive travel took on them.

Likewise, Thierry Henry often sat out games on artificial surfaces because playing on them aggravated his knees. These surfaces are the norm in NFL venues and a number of teams (Seattle and Atlanta for example) still play in them.

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But several European players have adapted quite well to the various surfaces used in North America. And it's not just the surface...we have more extreme weather in North America, including the brutally hot and humid summers on the east coast. I'm looking forward to see how soccer (since we're talking MLS) players handle the insane heat and humidity in Miami from June to September. Some foreign players handle our extreme weather just fine and some don't.

Ibra loves the spotlight so my guess is that he'll go to MLS for a season or two. But I agree with those here who would urge to hang up his boots and not lower himself to an MLS club. He's not the player he once was, soccer is still the fourth (maybe fifth) most popular sport in North America and whatever wealth he would gain from the experience would hardly make a dent on his net worth. He could instead begin working on his coaching badges. And why not? If Zidane can carve a success managerial career, so can Ibra. Maybe apples and oranges, but Ibra has a winning mentality that I think he can instill in footballers.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Probably bollox as usual .... can't believe the nonsense these idiots in the media make up all the time ..

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope it's true. He needs to go. The odds of him returning to a level that would help us is slim and he wants too much money for what he is now.

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Based on MLS roster and cap rules, it wouldn't be much. Our designated player slots are all taken (the Dos Santos brothers - seriously, anyone who laments us signing Lukaku should watch Gio for the Galaxy :rolleyes: - and Romain Alessandrini) which would mean he'd be on the roster maximum (a bit over $500k per year) plus whatever we can fudge out of the other mechanisms.

The rumor actually suggested that this is what was planned, which gave the rumor more credence because most fluff reports don't even consider those aspects.

However, it was still a hell of a stretch. I mean, we just spent a lot of money and cap-space getting Ola Kamara and in MLS, those roster rules mean you don't do that with depth - which he'd presumably be if Zlatan was in-house.

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for the info...I don't follow MLS financials very closely. It would be all about wringing out another year or two in the spotlight. My hunch is that he'd take a pass on an MLS club anyway. The glory he seeks is that of a CL trophy. And if that eludes him, which it probably will this season, I suspect he'll hang it up once and for all and go into managing. Maybe assistant manager for Mourinho for a season or two?

barroldinho repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I could see him enjoying the lifestyle and doing a bit of showboating for a couple of years.