Manchester, welcome to Zlatan - The Zlatan Ibrahimović Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if that's it for the season, a 28 goal return isn't bad at all

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Negative.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  3. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Comprehension deficit disorder has spread from JamesA to you. Or maybe you gave it to him. You two clowns should get together in a phone booth someday.

I have consistently argued that the primary job of a striker is to score goals. I have consistently argued that a secondary job of a striker is to create scoring chances for his teammates -- which, by the way, doesn't always translate into assists. Ibra, indisputably a 9 and not a 10 or an 11 or a 7 or an 8, has done both. He has scored many goals (28 officially I believe) and he has provided many assists (10 officially I believe). Decent numbers, but admittedly numbers that would hardly raise the eyebrow of Messi or Ronaldo.

What else is Ibra supposed to do, perform cartwheels like Nani?

That Ibra has missed his undue share of glorious chances is not in dispute. He may be "only" on 28 goals but it's arguable that a striker of his caliber should be 35 right now. (Two goals were wrongly disallowed.) Were he at his peak, maybe 50. But we knew he wasn't at his peak when Jose brought him in and even at his peak he was never at the level of Messi or Ronaldo, both of whom I assume are on or very near 40+ goals right now.

What you have to recognize, Teso, is that Jose and the entire world knew that Ibra was near the end of his career when we brought him in last summer and that no one expected him to turn in 50 goals this season. Before the season began if we had been told that Ibra would "only" score 28 goals we'd have all happily taken it, as we would have assumed that Rooney would chip in 10, Rashford would chip in 12-15, Martial 12-15, Miki 10, Mata 10 and Pogba 10-15. Well, it hasn't quite worked out that way and only Miki and Mata can be said to have contributed about the goal-scoring load what we thought they were going to contribute. Rooney, we know about. Rashford, growing pains. Martial, massive disappointment. Pogba, arguably unlucky.

But Ibra has delivered what we reasonably anticipated he was going to deliver. He scores and he creates chances. But no, he does not do cartwheels for your entertainment.

That said, I'm ready to cut the bait and see Ibra off to MLS this summer. The grind of the EPL is like nothing in any other sporting league on the planet and I cannot see how a 36/37 year old striker can thrive in such a competitive and physically demanding league. (We would need Ibra to thrive, not provide cover for Rashford. Otherwise, there's no point in being at OT.) And in the unique circumstances going into the summer transfer window, there are plenty of forwards from which we may choose. The moron/imbecile JamesA believes Griezmann couldn't possibly play in the same squad as Pogba and even if that weren't laughably idiotic there are several other very intriguing options we can look at.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pretty sure that Young has made a case to stay on as a utility player for now. He has provided 6/10 type performances at both FB spots and can play the defensive winger role Jose is fond of.

Rooney and Zlatan are both done and I think Carrick stays if he plays well. Mata will stay unless we get a good offer or we have an elite winger lined up.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Do you finally accept that Ibrahimovic is was supposed to facilitate our attacking play?

Yes or no.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As unfortunate as this is, it comes at a time when we're seeing that we function much better as a unit with a pacy CF that's willing to run at people. We should look for a more experienced forward with those qualities.

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Out for 8 months....his career is done imho.

28 goals is fantastic to be honest.

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We all know that was a make-up call.

9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Like the cyborg returning from the future roam the streets of Los Angeles in search of John Connor's mother so that John Connor himself may never be born, you never relent -- but we all know what happened to the cyborg in the hydraulic press. Though I know I'll never get through to you, I really do appreciate your persistence. You persist with good humor, which can't be said of the resident imbecile here.

First, allow me to acknowledge what appears to be the end of a brilliant career by one of the world's greatest footballers of this generation. Ibra's impact for so many clubs for so many years will not soon be forgotten. (Reports of his retirement have emerged in the last few minutes.) United would be nowhere near 5th nor in the EL semis without Ibra's 28 goals and 10 assists this season. But he's now yesterday's news and we march forward.

Strikers "facilitate" attacking play primarily by scoring goals created by the, well, creators. For example, Ruud van Nistelrooy, a former United player who many considered to be a great striker, was fed brilliant balls by Scholes, Giggs and Beckham, among others.

Let's drill down into the numbers of the 2001-2002 season, shall we? In 50 appearances, Ruud scored 44 goals. According to my best research -- an old thread on the caf -- Ruud had 9 assists that season. Choose whatever adjective you fancy, but there's no question that Ruud was sensational in 2001-02. But it can't be said that Ruud "facilitated" the attack in the sense that you're suggesting that a striker should facilitate the attack. Ruud supplied a fair number of assists, a Ibra did in 16/17, but his primary role was to score goals, not to create goal scoring chances for others. And because Ruud scored so many goals that season, we honor his contribution to the squad with the highest praise possible. And not because he supplied 9 assists.

By your continued insistence on using the word "faciliate" in this context, you either misunderstand the role of a 9 or you misunderstand the meaning of the word "faciliate.

A 9's primary job is not to create chances for his 7 or 10, but to convert on chances created by his 7 or 10. Midfielders and wide forwards, not strikers (also known as center forwards) are, in contrast to strikers, primarily responsible for "faciliating" the attack. Each has a slightly different in the different phases of play, the details of which I won't bore you with here, but their collective effort is designed to create scoring chances for the striker, whose skill set is such that he's expected to score goals on the chances created for him by his teammates. Please accept my apologies if this is getting to complex for you to grasp. You can look up Soccer for Dummies for more information about the game.

And if you concede that point, then where your collapse is in your misunderstanding of the word "faciliate".

verb (used with object), facilitated, facilitating.
    to make easier or less difficult; help forward (an action, a process, etc.):
    Careful planning facilitates any kind of work.
    to assist the progress of (a person).​

The word "faciliate" basically means "to make easier". It does not mean "to accomplish".

Let me give you an example of how the word "faciliate" is commonly used.

Hasina requests Modi to facilitate cross-border power cooperation with Nepal

[​IMG]

Whatever it is that Hasina, a real beauty, is specifically asking Modi to do, she's asking Modi to make it easier for there to be power (as in energy) cooperation with Nepal, not for Modi to hereby share power with Nepal.

An attacking midfielder "faciliates" the attack and the striker, you could say, "finishes" the attack. That's why football observers often refer to "finishing" when a striker scores a goal. Football managers demand their attacking midfielders to create chances for the strikers, as well as scoring goals from time to time, and they demand their strikers to score goals, as well creating chances from time to time.

28 goals in 44 games is a pretty decent return for a striker.
    10 assists in 44 games is a pretty decent return for a striker.

One may rightly lay criticism at Ibra's feet for missed chances and some pretty bad games -- early in the season when he was still getting used to the speed and physical play in the EPL as well as late in the season when was worn down and clearly chronically fatigued -- but during the middle two quarters of the season Ibra was was on a rampage and carried United on his back.

But he's done now and it's time for United to look forward. But let's not put on Rashford's back the responsibility of "facilitating the attack". That's the job of players like Pogba and Miki. Rashford's primary job, now, is to complete the attack.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    This all links back to my type of striker question. Ibrahimovic is arguably a 9.5. His secondary role is to facilitate the attacking play as evidenced by his style of play and by his own admission.

The comparison to van Nistelrooy is incorrect because they are completely different types of player.

We also rarely use an attacking midfielder because Ibrahimovic occupies that space and role in the side.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's use the right words to convey a precise meaning. To recap:

A striker's PRIMARY role is to score goals.
    A striker's SECONDARY role is to create scoring chances.

The job of "facilitating the attack" applies to all players and arguably extends all the way to the keeper, about who is expected to provide excellent distribution. See Schmikes, VDS and De Gea.

Whether we're talking about a 6, an 8, a 7, 10 or 11, all those players are expected to "facilitate the attack", certainly moreso than the 9. (There's "false 9s" but I hope we can agree that Ibra was (past tense now) no "false 9".) They collectively dictate tempo and create chances for their 9. Their 9 is the beneficiary of their beneficence in creating those chances.

You need to get the lingo of a 9 "facilitating the attack" out of your head.

Where you would be on more solid ground -- I'm trying to help you get off the ground -- is that Ibra missed too many chances (at least 5 or 6 by my count, a few of which would have been match-winners) and that he didn't create enough space for him running into channels. He undeniably gave the ball away too cheaply, as the British like to say, in his last few appearances and looked a broken player, despite having enjoyed a 2-week rest due to suspension a few weeks before that. But before the suspension he was on a rampage, scoring goals for fun while his fellow goal scorers disgraced themselves with sky balls and squibbers straight at the keeper.

Curiously, you're not only wrong about this silly notion of a 9 being the facilitator of the attack, but you're 180 degrees wrong. Where Ibra disappointed wasn't in his lack of chance creation (two glorious chances alone he created (Rashford and Pogba) in the boro match that won't go recorded in the books and have already been forgotten) but that, despite scoring 28 goals in 44 matches, he scored too few goals, given his undeniable ability. He was robbed of two goals by the referees (the high boot and the offside call) and he failed on 5 or 6 glorious chances. Put those goals on the books and he's at 35 goals in 44 games, at which point any criticism of his overall performance this season would go well beyond churlish and enter into the mendacious.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Those are Zlatan's heat maps vs Everton, @ Sunderland and vs Anderlecht. Majority of his touches coming outside the box.

I also looked at the opposition striker in each of those 3 games. Majority of their touches coming inside the box.

Attached Files:

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't know why you guys bother anymore. I gave up.

Facts and stats clearly mean nothing to this man. He will just post wall of text in reply, take a sly dig at me, mention Teso and Memphis in the same sentence, and ignore your questions.

It's like clock work.

Gilma1990 and United 16 repped this.
  14. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Besides the fact that it's a poor comparison, it's amusing that he would bring up RvN considering part of the reason he was phased out was his lack of ability to facilitate the attack.

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Also I'm sure at no point in his career did his conversion ratio drop to 14%

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay stop mobbing on gate....he has mixture of good and bad points. Lets not be tribal.

@gatekeeper2...word of advice buddy. You have too many long posts. I know you want to get your feelings out....but in doing so nearly all the time...people will just not read it, and it becomes wasted time on you part. Nothing wrong with a good long post...but if you do it all the time....they are just skipped over.

Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    RvN would have 40 goals minimum given those chances.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yo, Karloski is really stepping his game up lately.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #719 Ashur, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Scholes thinks there still could be a place on the team for Zlatan next season. Mentions how he's a great year, scoring lots of goals. And he believes, if he were to be at the club, he'd have 25-30gms, which could easily means 15-20 goals.

It may not necessarily be the popular opinion here, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'd want him to stay, provided his injury is not a career ending one. As mentioned yesterday, I would not get against him making a comeback.
    And even when we bring in another new #1 striker this summer, we need depth and that means more than just Rashford. I can't think of a third option that may be available and provide something different than Rash and whoever the new guy would be. Zlatan could still be that guy possibly for one last half season. Hard to think of a better 2nd or 3rd option tbh.
    If he could make a comeback by Jan-Feb at the latest, he could potentially provide a timely boost, in what is always a difficult time for any club. Who knows if it's even possible, but if it were, I wouldn't dismiss the idea off hand and would be intrigued by it. Also gives him the opportunity for a better exit than the one he's facing now.
    Zlatan might have been struggling recently, but he's still been one of the team's best players overall and his goals have been important to us.

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the decision is ours...then my personal opinion is that we give him a 1 year extension on a vastly reduced salary. He was the one that held off on signing...so we are under no obligation. It will show respect and maybe he can have a nice send off at the end. If he wants his current wage....then no chance.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No thanks. Thats not moving forward. No point keeping him now.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The respect aspect, the compassion of the club not turning their backs on someone who just got injured (even if they could in theory) and keeping up with the United way of doing business, not to mention the purely practical aspect that if/when fit, he can be an asset to the squad (especially in a reserve role and in the locker room as well), are enough to explore the possibility.
    I guess it will depend on how bad the Galaxy or whoever in MLS really want him. Not sure they would be willing to take a chance on him until they know his status, so in thar regard, United could have a leg up in negotiations: he will be out of contract after all this summer and United could be his only real option. Perhaps, it could be an incentive laden contract but if it could be done, I'd take him, no doubt. But it all hinges on the nature of his injury of course...

23. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's cus you are a cold hearted son of a bitch, johno.:)

It's about showing respect as a club. Do we owe him a contact...absolutely not. Would it show respect in the footballing world, if we kept him around to talk to the youngsters and be p[art of the club on a reduced salary. Absolutely.

24. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Zlatan has made it perfectly clear from day one that he is about Zlatan first and foremost, and that he'd be more than willing to walk away. That is fine, and he's earned that right, but with that stance he loses any high ground on the club moving on in a situation like this.

cr7torossi and benni... repped this.
  25. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who is saying he has any high ground? It's the opposite.