Manchester United vs Celtic ~ Toronto, ON, Canada ~ July 16th.

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Kanuck, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    It's on ESPN, 3PM tomorrow for those with ESPN.

2. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    went to the game. Went with 3 friends (all non korean) who are united supporters. they were all amazed by Cha's speed. Ki, didn't do much. no one noticed he even played.

I'll post pics later.

3. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'd guess that Cha was very noticable because of his distinctive bald shiny head.
    As you went to the match, i want to ask you one thing. Did you see anyone with this thing called 'vuvuzela'? i swear i heard vuvuzelas during the match.
    We must prevent vuvuzelas at all cost before it infects every football matches.

4. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    ya some idiots brought vuvuzelas. they were selling them outside the stadium.

also fyi to the above poster commenting on Ki Song Yong, unless you are actually at these games, it's hard to comment on "off the ball" movement. I actually thought Ki's "off the ball" was horrible and he had poor reading of run of play. I thought he looked super confused about whether or not to play central midfielder, holding mid, or overlapping winger. he reminded me of guys trying out for varsity playing in a position they were unfamiliar or inexperienced in. I hope this guy gets better because i don't want him wasting away on the bench again.

Cha was very impressive. there is no way anyone can match his speed.

Both guys were pretty well built too upper and lower body wise and should pose no physical limitation for europe... i was row 12 and got a very close up look at these guys. :)

I heard there were lots of fans at the airport when these guys arrived. i wasn't that hard core because frankly i have a life (i.e. posting on big soccer :p) but I may consider this when Lee Chong Yong comes to Toronto :D

5. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's not coming.

6. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Grrrr... oh yeah, wait a minute i knew that.... lol drunk again tonight as usual. I remember somewhere it said that the WC players on bolton are getting a rest. fack. i hope he sits in and watches at least :D I actually scored 1st row tickets for this game :D man it would be wicked if he were sitting beside me. I would constantly pester him for autographs :p

7. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Very true. I agree with your point that people that are actually at the match will have a far better idea of how a player is playing.

However, I made the statement from watching the match on TV because I thought Ki made intelligent use of himself when he didn't have the ball.

I particularly remember a moment in the second half when he moved out left, got the attention of their right back and then rotated back inside pulling the full back out of position which Samaras exploited.

That is something that I saw with my own eyes but I accept that you'd have a better idea of his whole game from being at the match.

And I've raised the point that I'm not sure what position he is supposed to be playing in the team. But is that Ki's fault or an issue that the coaching staff need to iron out...?

8. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    that was the one time that Ki made intelligent use of off the ball movement. I pretty much zeroed in on Ki and Cha DR when they came on so was tracking their "off the ball" movement closely :D

9. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's his fault

How do Celtic fans rate his WC performance? Neil Lennon has praised him, but I thought he was mediocre at best. A lot of criticism on Kim Jung-woo (our DM) was unjust, because it was Ki Sung-yong who seemed lost out there from a tactical standpoint.

10. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not entirely sure. I didn't see as much of the World Cup as I would have liked. My work was extremely busy at that time because of the World Cup and I missed a lot of the group matches that were afternoon kick offs.