PBP: Manchester United v FC Barcelona | UEFA Champions League Quarterfinal - 1st Leg | 10 April 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 8, 2019.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's tough not to project into the future.

2. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    I can’t believe that there are people who still don’t understand this.

To add, Roma, PSG away, and Juventus away just don’t happen out of thin year. There were many signs those seasons where it felt like we were waiting for a drubbing.

Now think about today’s game again and compare it with the Roma away last season. Does it look similar? Do you think our coach/team showed any improvement from that match? We were pressed exactly like that game and were struggling to get out of our own area. Only difference was that Dzeko is not playing for Manchester United today.

3. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah Prince isn't a replacement for Suarez since he is a OM not a CF which was a really bad transfer option

but i disagree with you on Dembele , Malcom have the pace and skills to play with Messi and Suarez up front but our coward of a coach keeps putting useless midfielders ( craperto , alena , vidal , etc ) instead and that will hurt us in the later stages of the CL

how many times will it take for this retard to understand that playing Roberto in the midfield in front of semedo is a bad idea ? he doesn't provide anything in the attack or defense and screws with Semedo in that side

i just hope that craperto won't play as RB in the return leg because if they have Martial fit he will pass through him like he was nothing , even Lingard and rashford can cause problems for him and we have to rely on Pique to cover for him as usual on that right side

4. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    yes, we do improve. our defense is solid this game. we score and win btw

evil_allan repped this.
  5. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Agreed that Dembele will help us a lot. However, I am still not convinced by our coach. He seems very inept to make in-game changes. We have one of the best ball playing kepeer, and CBs in the world, and when we are being pinned back by our opponent with high pressing, the best thing is to bring in players that are fast and make runs behind the opponents defender. But no, this coach has only one idea and that is to get even more player in the middle and crowd our area. This might work if we had players with speed and muscle but we have small and technical players, which results in us loosing every ball and have to deal with constant pressure. On top of that, Suarez is slow and Messi sits still on the mid way line when we get the counter attacking opportunity, this together with our slow midfielders makes it almost impossible to counter attack.

Do basically we try to defend without having any counterattacking threat, which means that the pressure piles up and team with better finishers will make us pay for this.

6. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    I know we scored and won the game.

It seems like you completely missed the point I was trying to make.

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    must remind you that we played not an easy game against atletico last sunday, no rest and have to play away game from home. manu has a week to rest,playin their own backyard.
    it could say that valvedre didnt try to give it all this first leg and busquest just terrible which means there are more pressure from opponent.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I didn't miss your point and also disagree with it (you posed a straight-forward question: "did we show any improvement compared to the Roma quarterfinal?" - hard to misinterpret) .

We were better than against Roma (throw-in Juve and Atleti too). By quite alot. Could've easily scored 3 away goals tonight. Can you say the same about the away leg against Roma?

OR...
    lets look at the other 3 QFs happening this week. They make for good comparisons because each of them has a clear favorite and a clear underdog, but at the same time there are no pushovers at this stage. We did better than both Juve and Man City. Liverpool hard to compare because they were at home. But we are at worst in the second-best position in terms of advancing to the semis.

evil_allan repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There are all these other invincible teams in the CL that will throttle us in future rounds.

Of course, 2 of them are in worse positions in their quarterfinal matchup than us. Facts.... :whistling::cautious:

10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, watched a couple more replays and I think you are right, it was not angling into goal, so Owen Goal was the right call, and Suarez still needs to score in CL to break his duck.

Who replaces Mr. OG, Luke Shaw? Phil Jones??? Or? That's a defensive loss for them in the return leg.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Own goal still > Suarez in CL two years running.

At least Suarez got the assist. :ROFLMAO:

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I must agree EV has no balls. Last year I gave him a pass, but he has a perfectly option on the bench to make the team more aggressive and chooses not to play him seemingly out of spite.

ShortyMac repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd take this result over 90% possession but losing 1-3

ShortyMac and unclesox repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Ashley Young played LB for a while ... then Valencia was RB ...

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    So is there no chance that they look at the Smalling assault on Messi retrospectively ??

It looks worse each time I see it !!

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Smalling is a douche. Don't think I've seen him apologizing to Messi though I might have missed it. If it wasn't intentional then you should at least apologize, Messi's nose was gushing blood at some point. I read that he was being smug before the game saying Messi can "bring it on" or something to that effect, though I can't confirm its validity. Which might explain why he was being such a try-hard barging into Messi like that. I mean, was that really necessary? He's twice Messi's size and there wasn't even a direct threat to his goal ffs. Then his hand "unintentionally" hit Messi in the face... I really hoped Messi would destroy him tonight like he did Boateng, who by the way is twice the defender Smalling will ever be.

Rattlehead and afar repped this.
  17. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No worries, MU does that regularly.

evil_allan repped this.
  19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Rattlehead repped this.
  20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Remember Del Horno? he's EPL hero for injuring Messi.

afar repped this.
  21. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    this is just our third ucl quarter final away win in last 10 years. And we went on winning ucl twice before:thumbsup:

ShortyMac repped this.
  22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    The commentators literally said "he gave Messi some English defending right there" or something to that effect, while chuckling with his equally retarded co-commentator. Words cannot explain how I despise these types of people.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    On TV they said it was a proper English challenge. That's why I don't give a fuk when they cry about diving.

Having said that, I hope it wasn't on purpose. I can't really tell 100% if there was intent.

unclesox and afar repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil