Manchester City vs Spurs, CL, April 17, 3 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Apr 17, 2019.

1. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    have you heard of guneyt cakir shity curse: they never won when he refereed their euro games!
    and spurs never lost when he did the same, well technically today we lost the 2nd leg, but won the war!!!
    COYS!

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Looks like Pep is getting in his Easter prayers early this year (although I have him pegged as an agnostic...).

[​IMG]

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Turkish delight anyone?

4. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well he played also for spurs legends, so maybe he has dual membership

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    owd robbeh. any opportunity to do a cartwheel.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Surely we can make an emergency recall...

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    BTW, it is my 15th wedding anniversary tonight! God bless my Missus, she still doesn't understand why we are all madly celebrating a defeat...I had an easier time explaining to her why the manager intentionally walked a hitter when I took her to her first Blue Jays game.

soccernutter, Funkfoot and Phillyspur repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Instead of the traditional bottle of wine, Poch offered Pep the following:
    [​IMG]

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just can't understand that there was stoppage time controversy, but it went in our favor.

Not our Spurs, indeed.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also like to point out that he reffed a pretty good game as well. He saw that it was an attacking match and very consistently played the advantage. Could have given a couple of bookings, but resisted, and called both VARs correctly. The only question mark was the booking to Sissoko, but it is trivial as it is now wiped.

11. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know if we deserved to win today.

I just know that one team is in the semi-finals of the Champions League and it's not the one with Kyle Walker in it.

Funkfoot repped this.
  12. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs... Doing it the hard way since, forever. That game was ridiculous. The defending was atrocious, we won’t make the final against a good Ajax team playing like that.

Seriously WTF?... We were at 3-1 with two away goals and couldn’t shut it down. Big night lot of emotions and nerves I guess but Poch needs to get our act together.

Oh yeah... We are in the Fking CL semifinal!!!! I’ll take it... VAR and all, let’s get stuck in there and bring that cup back to London! COYS!!!

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bold seems to be the prevaling thought, but if you watch Alde and Vert, they put maybe 2 or 3 steps wrong all match - there was a reason why Pep went wide. And both Rose and Trippier were defensively horrible, apart from probably the last 3 minutes or so of the 1st half for Trippier. In front of Vert and Alde was Wanyama, who also had a horrible match. The terrible defending of those three really did overshadow how solid both Alde and Vert were in the middle. Just think about how many times they were blocking passes or crosses or clearing out lose balls. Son was outstanding, but just as valuable were Alde and Vert.

But we also need to not get ahead of ourselves. Ajax has beaten both Real Madrid and Juve away to make it to the semis.

BalanceUT repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to mention, Spurs will be without Kane, Son (1st leg), possibly Sissoko. I don't even know what the status of Lamela, Dier, Aurier, or Winks might be by then. Spurs are seriously depleted. and Dele playing with a broken hand has to reduce his effectiveness and aggression

17. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    poor Sissoko

“I was on the bench, I saw the goal of the 5-3, and I was so in all my states that I returned directly to the locker room. I was alone, no one had accompanied me, no TV screen was broadcasting, and in my head we were eliminated. This is one of the staff members who entered the locker room at the end, and who launched me: ‘Incredible, we did it!’ I said, ‘How did we do it?’ At that moment, he told me that the goal had been canceled! So, I put on a T-shirt, I forgot my wound and I ran outside to join the others, not to miss the celebration of such a historic moment. It was an incredible emotional shock. “

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - that is amazing! Could you imagine if it had happened the other way around to a Man City player, goes back in the tunnel celebrating only to find out the goal was disallowed.... anyway, congrats Spurs!

Count Chocula repped this.
  20. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is it about losing 4-3 in CL matches that makes Tottenham so exciting?

soccernutter repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    BAE still mostly a cool guy.

Wanyama not getting a lot of love here. I thought he did OK and that player rating thing gave him a 7. I am hoping he can get through the rest of the season without injury, then with a good summer he will get his mojo back. But you all should learn to love him - with no Dier, Winks or Sissoko, it's him and Oliver Skipp. I think MP may well go with 3 center backs Saturday.

The minutes are really piling up for some guys, like Erickson. Worrisome. Lamela made the trip but was not in the 18, so maybe he is close to returning.

It seems like Rose is first choice again at LB.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who are LA Dodger fans of the 1980s, you probably know the story of Kirk Gibson v. Dennis Eckersly in the 1989 World Series. For those who don't, read it. Great sports moment/game, and Sissoko's little story reminds me of that game/moment of the LA Dodgers v. the Oakland A's.

23. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i read somewhere that lamela got injured during warm-up so what do we know?

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was in LA for that series. We had tickets to game 2 (Hershiser shut down the 'mighty' As [a 2-hitter, i think] at Dodger Stadium), but couldn't sort one for game 1. we were watching it at the hotel when my pal Brett (an LA Kings fan) suggested that we drive to the Forum in Inglewood and try to get into the Kings game.

it had sold out and we had no luck there, either, and ended up listening to the end of the Dodgers game on Dyan Cannon's limo driver's radio. there were about a half-dozen of us huddled around this big car, and when Gibson hit the homer, we all went nuts.

it wasn't until hours later that we saw the highlights on ESPN (or whatever) and it was amazing how lame his home run looked in reality compared to how it 'looked' on the radio (or in one's mind, I guess you'd say). it looked like he went fishing for a ball down and away and hit a fly ball to shallow right. and of course, it carried and went out, and queue the hysteria. but I'll never forget how different - how unglamorous - it looked in reality compared to in my head.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in little league, and we had a game that night. One of our primary players couldn't make the game because his mom got tickets...for the right field bleachers.
    I got home from the game sometime in the middle of the game. Don't remember what inning, but I was a huge baseball fan back then, and being a Dodger fan for that season was a magical year (the series v. the Mets was an improbable victory). Even though the A's were definitely the best team in baseball that year, around LA, it felt like after the victory over the Mets, there was no way the Dodgers would lose. And that was confirmed, in the bottom of the 9th inning, with a 3-2 count, runner on second...
    Btw - if you were listening to the radio, you were listening to Vin Sculley - one of the greatest baseball announcers ever. There were times when we would watch the game on TV and listen to Vin Sculley.