Man City vs Arsenal (EPL) 3 Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team was pretty much set up to the fail when the lineup was selected. I get Iwobi was bad a times, and kola....but you sub those 2 off and leave Koscielny on when you're down 2? Nothing yesterday made sense. What's the point of playing 2 strikers when there's no one to get them the ball unless they come back to the midline?

yossarian repped this.
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than giving the ball up on the edge of our own box within the first two minutes of the match, yeah, he was okay.

Snark aside, I like Iwobi, and I think there's a good player there, albeit I'm not quite sure what his best position is yet. If yesterday he was supposed to be the link between midfield and our two strikers, it didn't work.

I also agree with those saying "yeah Suarez looked bad, but it was crazy for Emery to throw him on in this situation." Not playing at least one of Ramsey or Ozil just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I just don't get it. I want to give Emery enough time. No manager, with the exception of one with the backing of City's sheikhs, could cope with the injuries he's faced. But I'd lying if I said I wasn't getting worried that we still seem aimless, purposeless, in our build up. And if it's all just temporary pragmatism designed to get us into the CL by hook or by crook, then that leads me once again to the Ozil/Ramsey question.

daedalus, Deep Wilcox, Shen-O and 2 others repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not playing Ramsey is bizarre seeing he is in good form

Why not get the most out of his last time with us?

4. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Only thing I could think of that he is trying to display the berth of monetary backing he needs next window. If he doesnt play the players we wont have then its clear to see how we compare to the league best.

5. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    What I find amusing is that basically no arsenal fan expected a result. But then the moaning is still fierce? How do fans actually expect to lose? By outplaying a superior opponent on their turf? By out-defending the 2nd best defense and outscoring the best offense in the league? These are not methods by which a team commonly expects to lose.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you lose and it seems like there's a coherent plan, it's easier to take. Emery seems to be making decisions on team selection, in particular, haphazardly.

yossarian repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was away all weekend so couldn't watch this until late last night. I actually watched it while simultaneously keeping an eye on the oh so riveting Super Bowl. Interesting contrasts, but I'll leave that for another day.

We were playing long ball & counter in 1T and I thought that was an interesting strategy. Even got a goal off a well executed set piece, which gave us fans just an iota of false hope for 20 mins or so. But then in 2T we seemed to switch to more of a possession game, which always seemed less likely to bring us any love, against a team that is 1-2 big notches ahead of us in terms of quality.

For some reason, during the match I found myself comparing Guendouzi to Iwobi a lot. I guess because of their similarly youthful age. And I have to say Guen easily comes out ahead for me. At least at being closer to the finished article.

For example Guen generally knows when to get rid of the ball before getting his pocket picked, and often he makes a really positive pass into space at that moment. And he exhibits calm & confidence. OTOH Iwobi... sigh.

Guen's certainly not quite there yet (he might've dropped a bit in 2T and made a gaffe that led to a goal??) but he seems real close to being a nailed on starter. Whereas Iwobi is just a bit too rough around the edges, too nervous, too mistake prone. I feel like he needs a 1-year loan spell at a good team in a top league, where he'll actually get to play and develop.

BIGHMW repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This thread is NSFW, not safe for kids, and probably requires a soundproof room for all the swearing that accompanies it. Also, one may want to consume an adult beverage or ten while watching it:

thebigman, DaPrince84 and Kanuuuu repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The Emery show lacks any convincing narratives

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I were being charitable, I'd say prior to Holding and Bellerin getting hurt we were starting to look better defensively and the performances were getting better. And the Bellerin injury is obviously a huge deal.

But Emery is so freaking cautious in his approach that you're going to see a lot of really inept attacking performances.

BIGHMW and thebigman repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Also mkhi for the high press

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that Shane Long goal. A very vocal Arsenal twitteratti tried to argue with me that it wasn't really that bad a play by Mustafi but rather a clever move by Long. What? Clever like actually running toward the ball, clever?

DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't remember individual moments of Mustafi-ness. He just reminds me of Mustafa from Austin Powers now.

14. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If emery set this team up to defend then that was a piss poor attempt by starting
    both auba and lacazette
    We defended with 9.5 players

Putting on Suarez for a Sunday stroll in the park was also head a scratcher

I completely understand @DaPrince84 point about this lack identity in the team but one fundamental difference between us and klopp In liverpool for example, is and remains management of club up top... emery appears to be loooking for his best 11 and dealing with cards he is dealt.... seemingly constrained

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like
    Mustafi as a guy but he

Div sninto tackles rashley, doesn’t hold the line (concentration) pulls shirts and generally is a desperate cog in defence

Emery has disappointed me lately but look what he has to work with

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    AKA having a mozzer :ROFLMAO:

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The plan was to defend with two banks of four, pass over and through their presss since we don’t have any dribblers up to the task and take advantage of any set pieces which they are among the worst in the league at defending.

Pretty solid plan until 45 seconds in when iwobi gives the ball away and mustafi plays their whole forward line onside then nearly ends the game with a red card and penalty because, well, mustafi.

We managed just about the same statistical performance as the same fixture last season even with bellarin, ozil, Ramsey and xhaka. 3-1, XG 2.9-0.7 vs last season. 3-1, XG 2.15-0.34. Possession the same at 41%.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the problem with being a one dimensional team with game plan based on transitions

During the run we were quite fortunate with some gamestates. Lately not so fortunate.

Arsenal had the same issue during late phase Wenger except with his possession oriented football. Once behind in the game risk levels go up and you feed the transitional tactics against you.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would put this in the new MD thread if there was one. ;)

From https://www.arsenal.com/news/emery-we-know-we-need-improve-our-away-form:

Shkodran Mustafi
    In full training.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan
    In full training.

Granit Xhaka
    Left groin. Being assessed ahead of Huddersfield Town (a).

Ainsley Maitland-Niles
    Right knee. Being assessed ahead of Huddersfield Town (a).

Sokratis
    Left ankle. Expected to return to full training by the end of February.

Hector Bellerin
    Left knee. Recovering after surgery.

Rob Holding
    Left knee. Recovering after surgery.

Danny Welbeck
    Right ankle. Recovering after surgery.

20. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about on some levels, but before they both blew their knees out (both torn ACL) I actually thought that both Bellerin and Holding were playing some simply outstanding defensive football and were definitely the quality of being everyday Starting XI every match, along with Koscielny and also perhaps a healthy Nacho Monreal, in whom until he got injured I used to tout (under Arsene Wenger) as THE best leftback in the League bar none. That would be an awesome foursome as a solid backline as can get.

As for comparing Guendouzi with Iwobi, I love what I see from both of them, but really would you bank on Iwobi (especially with his injuries) when you have Mhki, Mesut Ozil, and Aaron Ramsey, in whom should not be just coming off the bench, and whom can blend in with Guendouzi at his youthful age and exuberance and show him the ropes of being at MF on the job, he could very well be a regular if Unai Emery shows him the confidence of being a Starting XI midfielder, in which it appears he has as we are seeing him more and more out there to start.

I don't get why Mesut Ozil isn't starting regularly anymore, is he in Unai Emery's doghouse or something like that, he just signed a new deal last season, why isn't he playing let alone not in the Starting XI??? I think we could've been more competitive and maybe even to the point of successfully getting past United in the FA Cup 4th Round proper and going much further at that competition, if he was starting instead of being relegated to being a benchwarmer. C'mon man!!! Two years in a row of early, premature exits from the FA Cup (last year in the 3rd Round away to Forest, this year in the 4th Round hosting United), that is certainly not tolerated by The Gunner Nation.

Now I don't know how much Unai Emery knows about how prestigious the FA Cup is heralded in England, but it is certainly not some Mickey Mouse competition (like some other domestic Cup competition I may name right off the bat), maybe by next year (Jesus Christ, do I HAVE TO say it again) he'll know better about whom to start in the bigger competitions we are in. I want to see him start Ozil before Derby Day at New Shite Hart Lane (I could give a F*** about the name of it, even if it's for sponsorship purposes, as it's on the very same shit ground as the old one once stood) vs Scums in early March.