Magic Simon Elliott!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Sep 20, 2005.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Has anyone else noticed this guy is closing in on his second straight 10 assist season?

Right now he manages to have 8 assists.

This team has only 26 goals.

How could man could get to ten assists with the strike force we have rolled out there this season? Only one way....

Magic.

Who else joins me in saluting Magic Simon Elliott?!?!?!

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon Elliot sucks ****.

Sorry Hang.

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    it would've been more impressive had he magically grown a proper haircut.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news with Simon Elliott is that he still serves fantastic balls.

The bad news is that every one of those is sandwiched between eight or nine crappy ones.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I say we continue to bump this thread till Simon gets recalled to the NZ nats or named to MLS's best 11!

Bump!

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with hang.

hangthadj repped this.
  7. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Every time i saw Elliott on Saturday he was booting balls into the alotments. There is no question in my mind that he will not return for another year, and I won't feel particularly bad about it.

'Edson Buddle's magic,
    he wears a magic hat
    And when saw the goldschlager
    He said "I'm having that!"'

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, well perhaps Knox or Woly shoudla been in the alotments to recieve the perfectly weighted ball. Simon can't be to blame if they stop their runs.

You must be a DC fan.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In future, I think the "Something died on my head" look will be quite popular.

10. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    many on this board criticize mr. elliot, with a little justification i must add. but let me ask this question: who on this team would you rather have touch the ball as often as mr. elliot does with the pressure that is usually on him. who on this club can play as quick or as intelligently in tight spaces to pass the ball away from danger. sure, he plays it back quite a bit and may not make that sweet pass that zidane or ronaldinho can make. and he may not be able to beat a bunch of defenders 1V1. but who would you rather have trap that crappy pass from hejduk or whoever is on the wing, with an opposing central midfielder closing on you. who on this team can consistently make that trap without losing possesion, and therefore conceding a counter attack. honestly, not too many on this club. and those type of crappy passes have been played often this season. if we are going to play with a holding midfielder, he without a doubt is the best option we have.

disagree or agree if you like, just my input.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Fantastico!

I only wish he was an American citizen. He surely is better than Chris Armas at this role.

12. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    well, armas's first touch consists of him popping the ball above his head. sorry to say, i can at least do that.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scum fans aren't smart, idiot. :rolleyes:

14. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've personally never had a problem with him as our holding mid. He plays very defensively with plenty of back passes, but as our Dmid, i'll grant him that. My problem is the fact that every time we win a Free kick, it helps the other team because his services are awful. I have never felt he had the skills to be our set piece guy.

15. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've been saying it for a couple weeks now that Elliot has a chance to be the first player I think since Warzycha whose had double figure assist seasons. Elliott has had some terrible games this year, but most have been pretty good. Most people get on him for back passing or making the safe play, but that's his role. He's the saftey net in front of the back line first and formost and then he's supposed to spray the ball around the midfield to keep things moving. Does he always hit his long balls precisely, no more then a few are dudes, but more are on then off. Honestly if we had a healthy focused Buddle and Cunningham instead of Glen on the outside of Warzycha's 3-4-3, Elliott would have a lot more assists then he has now.

As for next year, I don't know. I think you have to give that starting spot to Szetela. He's ready for it and where Elliott plays is the perfect spot for him. Then I think you bring Gallardo around as well as the sub and/or to push Danny at that spot. Then Vasquez is the a-mid. The Crew have to look at the future. Where that leaves Elliott, I don't know. I'd keep him on as a late minute sub for free kicks and such.

16. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've been saying all year that his hair gives him special powers. :)

and as for the haters, who the heck on this team would you replace him with in that role??? i can't honestly think of anyone....

17. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Oh gosh, now people want a man dropped from the New Zealand national team to play for the mighty USA?

18. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Vasquez

Vasquez

Vasquez

Vasquez

19. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    not to take the bait DGA, but i failed to notice mr. vazquez on saturday than i did notice him. but to be fair i was standing with a number of folks i hadn't seen in awhile. also.... vasquez and defense shouldn't be in the same sentence together, at least not without a negative qualifier involved.

20. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think if you read another post of DGAs you'd find that Vasquez picked up his ankle injury early in the match, played on, and it effected his performance. Vasquez is now out for the rest of the season.

Yeah, but your right defender and Vasquez shouldn't be in the same sentance. He's so clearly an a-mid and with a proper manager will be everything we wanted Martino to be, but he couldn't be. However, DGA is right as well, next year Vasquez needs to touch the ball early and often.

I think Szetela is the man for Elliott's spot, he has that bite that Vasquez doesn't have. A Szetela/Vasquez central mid could be one of the best in MLS...well if the Crew can manage to pick up some decent forwards to put the chances they will create away.

Imagine that, after all these years DGA, a player we can both agree on.

21. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    You can make that 3 of us - if you like... The kid can play AND shoot.

22. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Not to venture even further away from discussing Elliott, but the knock on Vasquez's defense doesn't seem valid at the senior level. I know that was a knock during reserve matches, but ever since he's been in first-team action he's done the defensive work required of him, with the US Open Cup match with Dallas the best example of this.

As for Elliott driving the train, I'm not sure if his leading this team in assists is a sign of Elliott's "good" play or the team's overall crap.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Code:
    ASSISTS
    PLAYER                           TEAM    GP  ASTS
    Dwayne De Rosario                SJ      23    12
    Clint Dempsey                    NE      21     9
    Chris Klein                      KC      27     9
    Ronnie O'Brien                   DAL     25     9
    Josh Wolff                       KC      18     9
    Ronald Cerritos                  SJ      27     8
    Brad Davis                       SJ      17     8
    Landon Donovan                   LA      19     8
    Simon Elliott                    CLB     26     8
    Christian Gomez                  DC      28     8
    Amado Guevara                    MET     22     8
    Justin Mapp                      CHI     24     8
    That list has to say something positive for the guy, doesn't it?

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

The guy has as many assists as Guevara and he isn't even really in the playmaking role that Guevara usually works from.

Seriously, the guy is just a damn good player.

25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    C'mon, Foos, you know what my comment meant.