Luxembourg vs Scotland - int'l friendly of the decade!

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Nov 13, 2012.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY: LUXEMBOURG V SCOTLAND

• Venue: Stade Josy Barthel, Luxembourg City
    • Date: Wednesday 14 November
    • Kick-off: 19:15 GMT

9 call offs (surprise, surprise) from the original squad leaving us with a squad looking like this -

Goalkeepers: Cameron Bell (Kilmarnock), Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Craig Samson (St Mirren)
    Defenders: Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Andy Webster (Hearts), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)
    Midfielders: Kris Commons (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (Man United), Liam Kelly (Kilmarnock), Murray Davidson (St Johnstone), Darren Barr (Hearts)
    Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian), Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn), Andrew Shinnie (Inverness)

No place for Reynolds or Considine? I'd prefer to give one of them a chance instead of Berra at the back. And I realise he is still very young and will probably be featuring for the U-21's but I would have liked to have seen Ryan Fraser being given an opportunity. He's always impressed me anytime I've seen any highlights of him this season so far.

Johnny Russell? He may not be in as good form as he was earlier in the season but is there any point in flogging a dead horse like Kenny Miller in a friendly against Luxembourg??

Hanlon and Wotherspoon at Hibs...?

Paul Dixon at Huddersfield...?

Surely these players are all worth a look against a team like Luxembourg in a friendly match?

I do like the inclusion of Shinnie and Griffiths. Hope they get a decent amount of matchtime and not a 5min cameo.

The 9 call offs are -

Charlie Adam - Stoke City
    James Morrison - WBA
    Barry Bannan - Aston Villa
    Matt Phillips - Blackpool
    Shaun Maloney - Wigan
    Steven Fletcher - Sunderland
    Phil Bardsley - Sunderland
    Jamie Mackie - QPR
    David Marshall - Cardiff City

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Glad to see Leigh Griffiths got called up. Miss having him at Dens. But he's been playing great this season for Hibernian.

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well we won 2-1.

+ Points for me

2 goals for Rhodes which should help establish his claim for a place in the starting 11

Shinnie played the majority of the match and seemed to have had a reasonable debut

We only managed a 1 goal victory against a team such as Luxembourg after going 2 goals up in the early stages. Most teams would have been able to run away with this match.

They had more shots on goal and more shots on target than us. By all accounts we were hanging on for a win in the 2nd half

Griffiths never made it off the bench. I'm not a Kenny Miller basher but the guy has had his time in the national team. What is to be gained by playing Miller and not giving Griffiths any time on the pitch?? He wasn't even worth 45mins against Luxembourg...?