LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI: "Pelé no sabe nada de fútbol"

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by ROM2, Jul 20, 2002.

1. ROM2

ROM2 New Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Should Scolari stay?

First a whinge - No avatars now no signatures!!!

Well - It seems logical, for continuity sake, for him to stay on and prepare Brazil for the Copa America, Olympics and WC2006 and really make history.

Since the WC I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible for a Brazil to produce really defensive coaches.

2. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Should Scolari stay?

I hope he does.

3. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    There would be no reason for him not to but he doesn't anymore. He said before the fianl that the day after the final, monday, he would be unemployed. But maybe that's not true because I haven't heard any news about Brazil looking for a new coach so.......

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    El entrenador brasileño Luiz Felipe Scolari opinó que Pelé "no sabe nada de fútbol", según una entrevista publicada este domingo. "Felipao" no perdona las críticas del astro antes del Mundial.

Felipao dijo también al diario La Tercera que los jugadores brasileños no querían que Pelé les entregara la copa luego de ganar a Alemania en la final del mundial en Yokohama.

Pelé había criticado duramente a la selección y a su entrenador antes del Mundial.

"Lo que él decía entraba por una oreja y salía por otra",

dijo "Felipao" al diario, durante una reciente vacación en un centro invernal cerca de Santiago.

http://www.colombia.com/futbol/noticias/DetalleNoticia12570.asp

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I tend to agree with Big Phil.

6. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pele understand everything about playing football. He mastered the sport, but he was not and never will be able to coach. Gerson and Tostao could if they ever wanted, but not Pele.

Felipao is a master of coaching, but that's not very hard when you have such good players at hand.

Yes, Brazil defense rules. Am I the only one to notice that?

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hey, FiveXChampion do my links work for you?

9. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That was the funniest article I have ever read. If I had the quote function available, I could go on for months in my signature.

My favorite line in the entire article translated into:

"If you want to win games, listen to what Pele has to say and then do the exact opposite."

and...

Scolari: "Pele and Edson are two different people you know..."
    Reporter: "Which do you prefer?"
    Scolari: "Neither."

:D CBF hijinks. You cannot beat the "charisma". ;)

10. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know Spanish, but is he saying Pele knows nothing about football?

11. Vampeta

Vampeta New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Portland, OR., USA
    Fookin' hilarious! Thanks, sidespaceman.

12. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    IN a way. He is not attacking Pele's skill as a player. He is attacking Pele's tactical and analytical knowledge on the game. Is it over the top? Probably. I think so. But to be fair, there are many good athletes that do not have the tactical/analytical skills to be successful managers and coaches. Pele probably best fits into that category

But...

THat's reading between the lines. IN reality, they simply are not good friends, and you'll never see them sipping Caipirinha's together unless a comet is heading to the Copa Cabana...

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

That was also my favorite line in the whole article.

Your welcome Vampeta.

Alex I thought moderators got to use the premium service for free you should check into it.

14. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yeah, I'm still workin' on it. I think I just have to fool around and learn how to use it. Heh heh, the return of the "Name That Quote" game may be just around the corner. ;)

15. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they do. I think Felipao is right, Pele was a great player, IMO the best ever. But he should keep his mouth shut (so do Beckembauer and Cruiff).

16. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My chilean friends here in Stockholm are going crazy about the idea of having Felipao coaching their national team.

Now they think that they will be world champs in 2006! :D

17. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell than that Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are not part of the package. :p :D

18. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    I'm happy too....not only because we could get a great coach...but because our National team will be on the leading edge when it comes to "HAVING" a coach....
    Progress is progress....first we get a coach...then some games together...who knows....we might end up in front of Venezuela for the next WCQ.

One thing I'm sure...We will be on top of Peru...No question about it....
    JUST ASK YOUR CHILEAN FRIENDS.

19. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    eeeyyy.... chill off chilenooo

porque tanta rabia? ;)

20. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Pele Responds To Scolari's Criticism

It took a while, but Pele`s answer to Luiz Felipe Scolari´s criticism came out this Thursday. The Brazilian football legend was not very happy with what the Brazilian national coach said about him. Last week, "Big Phil" said that the "King" knew nothing about football.

"I never criticised the national team, only gave my opinion about it. When I said that Brazil was not the favourite to win the World Cup, it really wasn't. Everybody spoke of France, Argentina, Portugal and Italy, and only after them came Brazil. For me, it was a real surprise they made to the final, as it was a surprise that Korea made so far", Pele told a radio station in Brazil.

Santos´ ex-midfielder also took the opportunity to fire at Scolari, saying that jealousy could have been the reason for his anger. "After Brazil won the cup, everybody talked about Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho, but very few mentioned him. Maybe this made him upset", he added.

21. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    why don't you print the html link on these?
    they're from soccerage, right?

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kind of a weak comeback by Pele. Scolari ripped him a new one.

23. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pele Responds To Scolari's Criticism

Pele wasted the opportunity of keeping his mouth shut. Besides, the comment he made was really stupid. It sounds like he just repeats what he hears from the press, and doesn't really have his own opinion.

I've been saying that Brazil would be winning this cup since the day we lost to France in 1998. I am not so sure that we can win Germany 2006, but this one was stuck in my throat since that fatidic date. I am sure the players felt the same.

What to say... It is just one more of life's many ironies! The best soccer player ever, is the worst commentator. I really miss Gerson's commentaries.

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pele upset with Scolari's criticism

[Reuters]

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Present and past Brazil heroes Ronaldo and Pele have both retaliated after criticism from World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

In an interview last week, Scolari said that he had repeatedly reprimanded Ronaldo during the World Cup campaign, describing the competition's top scorer as a "spoiled player" who needed to be taught how to play for the team.

Scolari had targeted Pele the week before, claiming he knew nothing about football and saying: "If you want to win a tournament, you have to listen to what Pele says and then do the opposite."

Ronaldo, speaking during a visit to a Rio de Janeiro cancer hospital with his two-year-old-son Ronald, denied on Friday that he was spoiled.

"I think he's wrong," he said. "My son is spoilt but his father is not. I still think it's more difficult for people to handle victories than to handle defeats."

Ronaldo visited the hospital to donate some of the prize money he won at the World Cup.

Earlier on Friday, Pele also took a swipe at Scolari, who was apparently upset because Pele had refused to tip Brazil as World Cup favorites early in the competition.

"I don't understand his position," Pele was quoted as saying by several Brazilian newspapers.

"When I said that Brazil were not favorites, France, Argentina and Italy were really in a better position than us and Brazil really were not in a good state. But I never wanted Brazil not to win.

"I've always given my opinions, the Brazilian people have known me since I was 16. I helped Brazil win three World Cups.

"I don't known what's happened with Felipe. As the media just talk about Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Rivaldo as heroes, he must be jealous."

25. ROM2

ROM2 New Member

Apr 27, 2000
    I'm kinda fed up with this "oh shut up Pele' you're not allowed to have an opinion", Flummery.
    To say that the greatest player in the history of the game knows 'nada' about coaching/football is as dumb as it gets. All becos Pele' didn't think Brazil were favourites which is confusing as I clearly remember Pele' predicting a Brazil v Portugal final.
    Scolari has now attacked Ronaldo and Ron's reposte is similar to Pele's - so I suppose Big Ron is chatting nonsense too!

To my mind Scolari did a good job and his goal celebrations were a joy to watch but now he's letting his ego dictate - football is about players not coaches...IMO.