Lower Income Players Being Shut Out

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cubanlix63, Jul 28, 2014.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is not the case (at least for the past few years). The tryouts are mostly held in NYC (2 Queens locations, 1 Manhattan and 1 Staten Island) and the practices (at least the younger classes) were held in Flushing Meadows.[/QUOTE]
    So your trying to tell me they are still taking kids from Long Island. Well they have more money then the families of city players. A would love to know who the ODP coaches are none from Long Island?

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You can sign out of state players to play in a NY league. But the out of state player can not play in the NY state cup. It is not just over age players. A player that lives out state and plays in the NY state cup and they find out the team is out of the state cup not just the player. He just can't play in the NY state cup. Unless I missed where it said an out of state player can play in the State cup. I think I am right. I saw teams get burned by that years ago that. Maybe no one rated them out who did it.

3. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your trying to tell me they are still taking kids from Long Island. Well they have more money then the families of city players. A would love to know who the ODP coaches are none from Long Island?[/QUOTE]

My guess is that 60-70% of the ENY South teams are from Long Island, but then again it's mostly LI kids that are trying out. But that may be due to your point about the money. I think the trainers / coaches come from all over.

4. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    <<<---- THIS CAR FOR SALE

Our (Ex-Club) and everyone wishes they did have some kid of tourney to generate funding with like another club in our are has. Not even a 501C3, fees were/are tremendous. Billing is divided out amongst non-scholarship parents by owner/coach which when attending a Disney event are substantial.

5. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am not sure what the moral of that story is indented to be, but I find one parent picking up the tab for his son’s entire team’s tournament costs to be highly inappropriate…as a parent I wouldn’t have loved it, I would have been made very unconformable by it…the coach and the other parents were wrong to allow/accept it…not shocked at all it ended up causing more problems than it was worth….

If very wealthy parents want to support their kid’s team/club, there are other less direct and more appropriate ways to do so….

6. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your trying to tell me they are still taking kids from Long Island. Well they have more money then the families of city players. A would love to know who the ODP coaches are none from Long Island?[/QUOTE]

Since I posted this, I learned that DOC for ENYODP is now different and the make up of the coaching staff has completely changed. All of the city guys are now gone and replaced with Long Island based British accents and, in my opinion, technical emphasis replaced with size and strength. I say this because the penultimate round of the tryouts (which was as far as my son got) were about 60 kids playing three 10 v 10 games on a single field. No small sided games to see if any of the kids had any ability to dribble, pass or receive the ball like previous years.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since I posted this, I learned that DOC for ENYODP is now different and the make up of the coaching staff has completely changed. All of the city guys are now gone and replaced with Long Island based British accents and, in my opinion, technical emphasis replaced with size and strength. I say this because the penultimate round of the tryouts (which was as far as my son got) were about 60 kids playing three 10 v 10 games on a single field. No small sided games to see if any of the kids had any ability to dribble, pass or receive the ball like previous years.[/QUOTE]

It looks like we are going no where as players with this kind of thinking. British accents that figures they are invading NY soccer. Gjoa has been taken over by coaches from England. They can't make it in England so they come here in the US and push their out dated thinking. People here are stupid enough to pay them.

On no small sided games. Most teams were picked on the basis of how kids do in small sided play. Truth is some kids have become experts in playing small sided. Then you put those same kids on a big field they start to look ordinary.

I am for small sided play. But the final decision on players should be made after you see them in a full sided game on a big field. There is still small side play near the ball in every full side game on a big field. What you can not see in small sided is after they hold the ball under high pressure can they make the break out pass to continue their teams attack

8. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree you need to see both, but the small sided was completely phased out. Also 60 kids on single 100x70 field playing 3 simultaneous games (resulting in swarm ball) is not full-sided soccer either. I have no idea how they evaluated kids in the scrums.

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We had mass tryouts for an Italian tournament here in Brooklyn. Each player got a half a game. They asked him what position he wanted to play. It was a one day tryout out. They had 5 coaches watching the game. I was one of them.

There was one player he was about 29 years old. He was in terrible shape he was fat. I was almost 60 back then, and I was in better shape then that guy. But what I and others noticed about him was he never lost the ball under pressure. He always found a way to continue his teams attack. If you made a coaching point to him. He actually was listening and pushed himself to do what you said.

When the coaches discussed the players all of us liked him as a player. Even though he was in terrible shape.

I had to go to Italy after the tryout. I missed the tournament. But was told that guy was a stand out in that tournament. Normally he would have not got past small sided play.

10. kahlua

kahlua New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    I only check in here every once in awhile.

people talk too much. share things they really shouldn't be sharing. hard not to listen when you are standing right there.

you are too funny. Obozo supporter? how is someone who expects people to work for, sacrifice for and pay for what they get an Obozo supporter? Obozo supporters stand in line and ask "How come I don't get more?"

yes, I am jealous. jealous that I don't sit around and try to figure out how to get my soccer fees and luxuries paid for by someone else. we work for what we have. taught that by our parents and teaching that to our kids. in my occupation I see people EVERY day who manipulate the system. I/we pay for other people's stuff every day.

well that is just plain ignorant. again, getting something for free and expecting more. I have always said I would foot the bill for the team if I won the lottery. share my found money. I knew that would be a hazard of such generosity. IMO, 3 way split on playing time is very fair when you are not paying a penny.

11. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One point of my post it is not the business of a parent to worry about what the parents of other players are paying. It club business not there business. That is why I don't want anyone to pay. The club should have sponsers to pick up the cost. That parent should be considered a sponser.

On the other part where a player parent with money wants to pick up a tab for a whole tournament. Don't bitch if we divide the playing time among three strikers because one of those strikers is the rich parents son. Keeping in mind all three strikers can play. But the other two are a little better then him. We did not do it to the detriment of the team we still won. Plus he helped us win.

Any other questions

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, let's keep this civil and non-political.

Thanks.

13. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    From my experiences the bigger trouble has been the transportation more than the cost to play. Many of the lower-income families use public transportation for work or may not work at all so when you ask them to drive 45 min-1 hour for a league game it is almost impossible. As a coach, you do what you can but essentially you need 5-6 committed parents with their own transportation that can take the team to the games. For a higher level club or a diverse community this is ok because as some said, one parent may do extra to pay for a tournament or to take the kid to and from practice but the biggest setback is in a community where every player is in that situation of not having transportation and unfortunately we lose a lot of kids with potential because they play pick up in the park rather than in an organized league.

14. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What happened with the urban clubs that had great reputations is that they had to start bringing in middle class players to subsidize the poor kids. And initially, the coach would drive kids around in a 20-year old van to games and tournaments.

Inherently, if there are players without transportation and parents with time and money, there has to be players whose parents have time and money, and they are the only ones with transportation too.

And a problem gets to be that fundraising has been less and less of a part of youth sports when enough parents can "pay full" they don't care about the ones who have to scrimp and save to pay their fees but have cars, or the other ones who are getting scholarships and rides but feel guilty. I cannot tell you how many "plans for fundraisers" ended up folding because the team manager was well-off and didn't want to bother.

jeremys_dad repped this.
  15. RedGK

RedGK Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tennessee
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YEs....this pay to play is getting ridiculous