Post-match: Los Angeles FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 8/21) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 22, 2019.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's the way I saw it.

And, as I've said, if the ref didn't actually see the play for himself he should look at the replay, regardless who's whispering in his ear. And if the VAR official saw ball hit arm, which he must have if he actually looked at the video, he needs to signal for a second opinion as to whether there was a clear and obvious error. This was a total systemic breakdown. Again.

jnldaddy, jetdog9 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looking at the play again on VAR is an easy call. It has to happen.

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll only say this: In 20 years as a defender, I had similar situations a couple of times and always had the call go against me (i.e. a penalty kick).

jnldaddy, TyffaneeSue and Beerking repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think you're missing my point.

There was no VAR 20 years ago. I can understand that reasonable people may disagree after reviewing the replay. What there should not be disagreement about is that the replay should have been reviewed -- especially if the ref didn't see the play himself in real time.

jetdog9 repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, i don't know that Kevin was ever one to take a lot of advice...

6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    He's an LA fan therefore, full of shit. I don't believe one word of his fiction. I have no doubt they're were taunting Almeyda with profanities and insults. None at all.

TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    No, just bullshit. ;)

bsman repped this.
  8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Like I said, the rest of the league has caught on to our tactics and have adjusted accordingly. :(

mjlee22 and bsman repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's the problem; we have a fantastic tactician as a coach, but he's hamstrung by a dog's dinner of a roster...

Beerking and DotMPP repped this.
  10. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The best part of the video is the only part of his body that stopped the ball was his arm. Regardless of a hand ball or not, the defender impeded Vako's path and is the last defender.

Multiple reasons to review the play. Basically the next out and the resume of play from a goal kick was only about 15 seconds and 30 seconds from the time of the slide. Doesn't seem like enough time for even the VAR to review and decide. The CR should have stopped play to confirm the VAR had time to review and then restart.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I expect it would (or should) actually have been the lead AR, and not the VAR who could have notified Stott that the play may have warranted review. While I can't say for sure, it doesn't sound like communication was well-coordinated in this match.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let's consider that handball situation from another perspective. What if it happened in SJ's box by a SJ defender doing exactly the same thing when Vela was about to have an open shot?

You know the answer.

davez, JazzyJ and S.J. Jim repped this.
  14. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the "defensive finishing"! :)

15. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are watching PORvSEA right now, and hubby says that the reason Almeyda got sent off was because he touched Stott. Anyone else see that happen during the game, or read such an explanation?

If true, then I’m wondering when they will announce additional suspension...

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was nowhere near Stott, who was standing still with a sour expression as Almeyda ws led off, no doubt wishing he had a bottle of Maalox in his pocket.

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it’s Kind of weird how many wrong statements are being said everywhere.
    i even made one — Now hubby says it was an announcer during the ATL-ORL game who said Almeyda touched Stott, not during the POR-SEA game. Plus maybe the announcers were referring to the 4th Official, not Stott. Who knows...

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Woudn't it be nice if the adjudicator issued a reasoned decision after the match? Then we wouldn't have to speculate or use up our stash of aluminum foil.

19. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Kevin Stott has never been a great referee, and this game does not change my perception on that score. He is one of those refs who go into every game with a pre-conceived notion of what is going to happen and sees the game based on that preconception.

He is clearly to blame in not asking for a VAR of clearly denied goal scoring opportunity under "Interesting" circumstances. A previous poster asked what would have happened if it had been Vela driving for goal, is there any doubt that Stott would have asked for VAR? Any doubt at all?

Beerking repped this.
  20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At today’s Tom Fox taco talk, I asked a staffer who got sent off. He said it was Almeyda and the translator, but not the GK coach. They don’t find out about additional suspensions until after today’s VAN game. He refused to talk about what actually happened or why the send offs. He said Fox has been talking to DISCO

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  21. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mentioned in Wondo thread, but posting here as well since the lack of a call (or at least review) was a big part of this game:

The Quakes have only had one PK awarded this season, which is ridiculous. I can't go back and re-watch every game to give a good estimate of how many I think they should have had, but it should have been more than 2 at this point.

And I am still very angry that the Accam foul on Espinoza was not reviewed during game (per rules it could be), and that no additional sanction was given to Accam after the fact. That reply is such damning evidence I do not understand how the league could take no action, it's like they pick and choose at random unless a superstar or super-team is involved.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/team?sort=desc&order=PKA

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They don't pick and choose at random. They pick and choose very carefully depending on how they think it will impact their business. They want to put the best product on the field as they can, which means overlooking bad plays by some teams or players, and punishing only those offenses they think they can't justify away.

23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've gotten the short end a few times now, but we've had some gifts too. Things tend to equal out in the end (I don't believe in conspiracy stories).

SeaJayBee repped this.