Looking forward to the Dec ID camp

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Oct 31, 2019.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the December camp is supposedly about bringing in new players and giving the veterans/WWC players a break. It may also bring in some established/WWC players who are on the cusp of getting cut.

With a new coach, it's hard to make predictions about who Vlatko will call in, but let's talk about who do you want to see?

I'll go ahead and link the "Rising stars in NWSL playoffs" thread since I think this is a similar question. On that thread, Murphy, Hamilton, Short, Colaprico, Hinkle, Bledsoe, Balcer, Staab, Ohai, Williams, Hatch, Hill, Gordon, Oyster, and Cook were mentioned.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I found funny that some of the players mentioned in the "Rising stars in playoffs", weren't in the play-offs at all, as Staab, or Ohai, or Hatch. :giggle:

They of course make much more sense in this thread. :thumbsup:

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the playoffs involved 4 teams and 3 games over the span of a week, there wasn't a lot of meat there to digest.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also, given they were playoff teams, most of their players wouldn't fall within the "rising stars" category. Rather, "current stars" or "descending stars."

5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does not exist in my Heart or Soul.

McSkillz repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, guys, of course! It's not me the one who gave that title to that thread! :p

Complaints about the fact that, given the fact that it was just 4 teams of mostly established stars in 3 games, the "rising stars in playoffs" title didn't make much sense to begin with should have actually been posted in that thread, towards who created it with that specific title. Why is it now me taking the blame for just pointing out? :geek:

cpthomas repped this.
  7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The ship has passed for Ohai, Huerta, Hill, and Colaprico. Hatch is a remote maybe. Dorsey who was picked for the camp, in my opinion, is a long shot.

The prospects are L. Williams (speed), Murphy (6'1"), Short, Hinkle, Balcer, maybe Hamilton. I don't know much about Alana Cook.

8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a bruin fangirl, I kinda hope that Hailie Mace gets another shot, she's been under the radar playing in Sweden this past season because she refused to join Sky Blue FC due to the abysmal conditions.

9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #9 FawcettFan14, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    The December training camp is intended for non-World Cup players— I assume NWSL, overseas, and college are all eligible. Say they get to invite approx. 30 players, who does Vlatko call?

*I picked 35, because I’m generous like that!

GK: Bledsoe, Murphy, Campbell, A. Smith
    D: Menges, Cook, Purce, Staab, Dorsey, Hinkle, McGrady, Gorden, Oyster, Ashley, Riehl, Bingham
    M: Sullivan, Colaprico, DiBernardo, Killion, DiBiasi, Weatherholt, McCaskill, Tymrak, Pinto
    F: Williams, Macario, Mace, Monaghan, Hatch, Hamilton, Ohai, Balcer, S. Smith, Watt

Player notes:

If veterans from previous World Cups are eligible, he might call Rodriguez given their history together in KC and her fairly impressive form for Utah. But she’s 32, he likely prefers building for the future instead.

Is this finally Menges’ chance, after years of getting snubbed. One of the cleanest defenders in the business hardly ever commits a foul.

In the interest of keeping an open mind and building bridges, does he invite Hinkle? Vlatko is known to be an excellent player manager, perhaps he can sit her down and discuss the balancing of personal beliefs and NT commitments. But if she’s unwilling to soften her stance, there may be no choice. On talent along she clearly belongs.

Bring back Mace and Ashley from overseas to track their progress and gauge their future club intentions.

Colaprico, DiBernardo, Killion, Weatherholt— seasoned pros in their mid 20s who are good technically, reliable, strong work ethics.

Tymrak is a wild card. She rarely starts for Utah, but Vlatko maximized her skills in KC. Their styles clicked. Frankly, I bet her ship has sailed but does she does offer something unique. Worth a look.

From the collegiate ranks, Riehl (Sauerbrunn-esque cerebral defender), Bingham (strong outside back), Pinto (crafty technical two-way mid), Watt (very reminiscent of a young Leroux), Sophia Smith (speedy winger with a footballing brain) and most of all Macario. Everyone agrees she’s a shoe-in for 2023 pending citizenship. She’s repeatedly stated her intent to play for the U.S. rather than Brazil (huge loss for them if true). She needs consistent camp invites for the next 2 years, even if she can’t play matches. She will be an integral piece of 2023 and beyond, wise to keep her around the team in the interim.

jnielsen, jjmack, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  10. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Does the camp include ONLY non-contraced USSF players?
    That is, even if you made a full camp roster, you're still eligible?
    Does anyone know for sure what the answer is?

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that the Australian W-League will be in-season and those players won't be available for the camp.The W-League doesn't have any breaks in December.

Those currently signed in the W-League:

Julia Ashley
    Amber Brooks
    Mallory Weber
    Rylee Baisden
    Celeste Boureille
    Carson Pickett
    Simone Charley
    Katie Stengel
    Lauren Barnes
    Haley Hanson
    Darian Jenkins
    Emily Menges
    Morgan Andrews
    Aubrey Bledsoe
    Sofia Huerta
    Veronica Latsko
    Kristen Hamilton
    Sam Staab
    Lynn Williams

I realize many of those aren't in the conversation, but it's helpful to have the complete list. Others may end up signing in Australia before the camp as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_W-League

12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BR - you know where every female footballer in the World laces up her cleats.
    My hat is permanently off to you.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roger Allaway, jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a mod in this forum anymore? Can we merge this thread with this one?

14. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    #14 Mills, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    I don't think so. I thought it was @Blaze20 , but it's been over 6 months since she's made an appearance.

Looking at the subforum mods list, @CrimsonAce hasn't made an appearance since 2013 and @DeigoRedD hasn't been around since 2014.

Perhaps it's time to ask one of the super mods or admins to assign a new member the mod duties for the "Women's Soccer" subforum.

I'd also like to nominate you, @lil_one , to take over the mod responsibilities for the https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/usa-women-news-and-analysis.36/ and https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/nwsl.68/ subforums. I'm certain many others on this board would agree.

Super Mods:
    @Ismitje
    @bungadiri
    @dark knight
    @Horsehead
    @Bonnie Lass

Admins
    @BIGAdmin
    @Huss
    @istorm
    @nsabra

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. Thanks!

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hope nobody from college (with eligibility remaining) gets called. Sure, they're cheaper to call up, and historically USSF has utilized college players for fill-ins to the "federation players" to save money. Per Diems and some clothes is a lot cheaper than paying appearance fees.

But we've got more than enough pros that haven't gotten a deserved chance. And we're looking at a very short turnaround for Olympic Qualifying and the Olympics. We don't have time to waste trying to get amateur players up to full international tournament level. And with a fully pro league 10 of the last 11 years, we've got a wealth of fully professional players hardened by years of high level training and play that is the envy of pretty much every other country out there.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If Hinkle ever starts getting regular calls, I'm guessing we're going to need a Mod around these parts. That said, there are a few other WNT discussion places on the interwebs where it's going to be much, much worse than it will be here.

Mills repped this.
  18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Perhaps if Hinkle publicly apologized to her 9-11 lesbian teammate and superiors on staff for publicly belittling them and their relationships.

The open mind and bridge needs to be built from Hinkle, not the other way around.

She good, but she's not the best left back we have anyway.

McSkillz repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or you could see how cancerous and disruptive her last four years have been on the Flash/Courage where she plays alongside numerous gay players, including couples.

Oh wait, we're talking about professionals in professional work environments where people actually get on with the job at hand.

It the United States Women's National Team, not the United States Woke Women's National Team. I don't like her views or statements anymore than anyone else. Opinions are harmful or hurtful, but they're not illegal. I can see nothing from watching closely for three years that she's done anything within a team situation that has been the least bit disruptive. You show me the clip or anecdote of any current or former Courage teammate that has anything bad to say about here. Pretty much every former teammate I've seen here recently - including a couple publicly out as gay players - share moments with her during the postgame milling about.

The probably appears to be primarily with the fan base. And they have every right to be upset. Her views are abhorrent, misguided, and harmful.

But the USWNT is about winning. If Vlatko thinks they're a more cohesive team without her - and her views are part of her - then that's his choice. Klinsmann left Donovan off of Brazil 2006. The "best" players don't always make the best team.

But watching her personal interactions with most of the WNT player pool over the last three years, I see nothing but professional respect at worst to honest friendship. And we see that in the USWNTPA player selections. After the NWSL Best XI fiasco even Jess Fishlock tweeted her list including Hinkle.

She is a polarizing figure, and it is entirely of her own making. But I'm also troubled at how many fans want to strip the WNT staff and players of their own agency with regards to whether or not Hinkle should get another chance.

If she's called in and the players don't want her in camp, she won't last long whether the talent is there or not. That's pretty simple. Let's let them make that call.

20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually that ship has already came and went under Jill Ellis. I don’t understand why Vlatko would decide to invite controversy when he could choose plenty of other top quality left backs. Whether you like it or not, the USWNT has a large fan base that includes the LGBTQ community and their millions of allies that would attack US Soccer, instigate a boycott of the team, and it would be yet another headache in a long line of headaches US Soccer would face.

If Hinkle wants on the team, she needs to make a formal apology to the community at large and she still hasn’t done squat since spewing her homophobic remarks on conservative forums. The Trumpers on the other hand, will absolutely adore her though. Finding a conservative professional athlete that is also a woman of color is a diamond in the rough for them because they’ll do anything that will support anyone that upsets liberals and negates everything Pinoe stood up for during WWC19.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Adults can work with those who they do not respect. Or, reversely, those who do not think they should have equal rights. We are not talking about her performance on the field. Bigots can be on championship teams.

You certainly shouldn't pretend to know how Hinkle effects her LGBT teammates off the field though.

WNT players have publicly said there's no place for Hinkle on the team.

As I said, the ball would be in Hinkle's court. Not the other way around.

McSkillz repped this.
  22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    However troubled you may be about fans and players wanting to keep outspoken anti-lgbt players off the team. I can assure you that minority groups are much more concerned about civilians and politicians rationalizing negative and harmful sentiment through their religion.

And there are dozen of recent policies on state and national levels using religion to deny or strip LGBT people their rights in health care, income, adoption, etc.

Don't you think it's ironic, that as of 1968, Hinkle's parents wouldn't have been allowed to marry for "religious" reason?

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Link to direct attribution?

EDIT: Yes, I found the Ashlyn Harris tweets. Fair enough.

And none of us here know what Hinkle has said or communicated privately to those who are part of the WNT technical staff or playing pool.

I certainly don't defend her statements, and I find them abhorrent, but like you said, professionals work with people they have personal issues with all of the time. It's part of being a)professional and b)adult.

And as far as knowing how her and her teammates play on the field with the Courage is affected or unaffected, I actually am in a pretty good position to know that, and I'll just leave that as a reader exercise to figure out.

Namdynamo repped this.
  24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    He's actually in a better position to assess that than most. I give more weight to his impressions on that than I do to mine.

But I don't think they are necessarily conclusive. Time was, I was on an American football team with a guy who was convinced our quite unexceptionable Jewish center was going to hell because he (and the rest of us) had the opportunity to be Catholic and didn't. That wasn't impossible, but it did add a layer of awkward to a situation that didn't really seem necessary.

25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #25 BrooklynSoccer, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    This isn't a personal* issue. The isn't disagreeing with Jan down the hall about her presentation and consequently snarky comment.

This is about civil rights. This is about one teammate stating in multiple platforms and in a tv special that her teammates and coaches should not be granted the same rights that she is provided in our (secular) country.

Some people liked your prior comments leaving me to believe they may not understand this and may have further questions... @FawcettFan14 @taosjohn @TimB4Last @BigJbaz