Looking back at last year's World Cup, why did the Asian teams perform so poorly?

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by HomokHarcos, Jul 21, 2015.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although the two teams I cheer for first are my nationalities (U.S.A. and Canada) I follow Asian football the most and that is what my main interest is.

However, coincidentally all the Asian teams performed poorly at last year's World Cup. All four finished last in their group, none of them won a game, and they combined had a total of 3 points. A big difference from 2010 where 3/4 Asian teams won a game, two made it out of their group and they had a combined 14 points.

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can't really talk about the others but the timing was very bad for our team. The team that got through qualifying was aging and many players were coming to the end of their careers. Having our last two matches at home is pretty much what got us through with that team. We replaced our coach and were rebuilding. Unfortunately some of our senior players that were still a part of the rebuilt squad were injured, hurting our performance more. On top of that the draw wasn't very kind, with each team we were drawn against being either the highest or second highest ranked teams in their respective pots at the time of the draw. In the end the performance lived up to my expectations (and in many ways exceeded them).

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  3. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    That was the general consensus for us. It is probably unusual for a team to go to a World Cup finals, go out with their worst performance ever (even in 1974 we got a point - oddly enough, against Chile) and then have their fans say "Actually, that was a whole let better than I expected".

J