Looking at income disparity/inequality...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're the first to quote that post, which says something.

But my point was I didn't think there were many (actually didn't recall any), and unless I hear from more who didn't, I'm going to go with "most went, and would go again if reborn into the same circumstances".

I feel as tho there should be some strong response (or none at all) to grads who talk about how others should avoid postsecondary degrees. Especially those grads who went to private schools first, like Exum did. I think similarly of Mike Rowe (Towson grad), who dons a ballcap and appears in commercials talking about building for Alabama.

Well, I hope someone comes along one day and changes how you feel about that. The experiences didn't make me any better than anyone else, but they made me better than I was before.

Do you want some other institution to handle part of the training for law, education and medicine (one of which currently requires at least a bachelor's and the other two usually require one for admission to the professional school)? Serious question. IMO it'd be a rose or a turd by some other name, as there will be a qualification/certification system of some kind.

dapip repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Reported.

3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There's a great scene from The Wire where a guy is telling someone why his family went to college. My great-grandmother, who had family working in mines and plants, pushed college on me because she wanted me to have options. She also saw what years of intense physical labor could do to people and told me as much. Her other reasoning was that my education can't be taken away. It was the same reasons my parents, who never went to college despite being successful told me: That I'd have options.

Even community college is of great benefit to anyone.

Dr. Wankler, dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool, I get it's got some good things about it, it's just not necessary for most people (outside of way too many bosses that won't hire you because you aren't in the club). I think it's plenty valuable for networking and those who did have an easier time finding work thru those networks (but often not because of the actual education they paid for). And for some things the level of specification in your training really only exists in colleges, but that happened that way, it could have happened differently, like apprenticeships or something we haven't come up with yet.

I would consider law schools and medical schools basically the same as trade schools or technical training centers - they're very specific and they don't have to be called colleges, they're rather exclusive to exactly what they do. Personally, I think the medical learning structure is awful, it's not surprising that a good number of practicing doctors are scary and bad at their jobs (or at least bad with people). Lawyers have great reputations as being caring people too.
    Getting an education degree puts you in more of a financial hole than you can reasonably recover from in many cases (that's the way my sister went, but she decided to specialize in special education which pays diddly but is admirable work).

College seems to be passed down in families too which is interesting. My parents didn't go, not sure about grandparents. I didn't go and neither did my daughter. But my sister went and so have both her kids (one longer than the other).

I think they're fine, I just don't think they are for everybody, and I have worked next to enough people in the same exact job who did go to know it ain't the be-all-end-all about knowing things :)

Not anyone, but sure I'd be all for an option of 2 years of free community college -- I'd have liked to have done that instead of my last two years of high school (at least half of HS is often useless as well, imo) and probably got more out of it. Might have even gotten me interested in going to more than 12 years of school - I still can't really fathom why if you survive those 12 you'd ever want to go to a class again on purpose - but that's me ;)

Damn, I am ranty today :) Sorry, and as such some of my points may be exaggerated slightly.

russ, Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If all you do is just go to class and attend sports games, it doesn't have much use. It's what you put into it. My sophomore year of college, I joined the student newspaper* and ended up discovering that I could have a career in various forms of media. I ended up doing journalism, public relations, and advertising for a career. I'm currently in school again for computer science now but I've benefited greatly from working at that paper from sophomore year to senior year.

*: I would highly recommend not joining a program because of a girl however. Like I did. :D Then again, I was 20 and she was cute.

First in my family to graduate from college. My sister went and will be starting a rather nice role in her field (Engineering) and my cousin went and does well as an accountant. If I have kids, I want to have them at least go to community college and get the gen eds out of the way.

I will say I felt pretty damn awesome showing my parents my degree. I just moved but I'll have to find the family pic of my family and I from my graduation ceremony and put it somewhere.

If there is one thing I'd have done differently for my experience, it'd have been attending a community college to get the general education classes out of the way and transfer them. Mainly just to save on costs.

For the reasons my grandmother and my parents stated: The ability to have options and to create better opportunities. And it varies, but for some who grew up or had parents that worked physical jobs: it's a chance to create a better life or get out of the town they grew up in. For anyone, it helps open doors to careers they might have never known about.

russ and fatbastard repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Small government advocates’ heads exploding in 5... 4....

superdave repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #633 Kazuma, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Reminds me of how GOP groups were screaming that the IRS under Obama was targeting conservative groups more.

Keenly forgetting of course, that left leaning groups were under scrutiny too. Of course, with any GOP manufactured outrage, it's more of a fantasy than a reality.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Republicans are always going on about how they love law & order, while bemoaning the IRS. Doesn't make any sense, except to them.

dapip repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most of their "deep state" paranoia is the same thing. I'm in my local public library right now. Downstairs is a book on the rise of the "administrative state" which the author holds responsible for overturning the election of Richard Nixon and which is now threatening Donald Trump's presidency.

IOW, the Administrative State = rule of law. Which is bad when applied to Republicans.

Auriaprottu and JohnR repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The police are good because they shoot African Americans, but the FBI is bad because it shoots white supremacists.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And the asymmetry doesn't stop there. If they find that Liberals are doing something wrong, the liberals will try to comply, and they probably stay away from similar issues in the future.

If they find that Conservatives are doing something wrong, they'll cry foul, they'll demand someone to be fired, and at the end, the "neutral players" will reduce/eliminate penalties and even fire someone. Guess what will happen the next time they find some wrongdoing.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the "big bosses are assholes" topic, well, I once worked for a company where the king got a $369 million bonus (What do you even do with that kind of cash, especially if you're already pretty rich?) And then the closed down a factory in rural Ohio where about 300 people lost their jobs. A lot of them were skilled manufacturing jobs that paid ~$30/hr, which is a damn good wage in an area where the cost of living isn't that high. They moved the factory to China where the workers there might make $30 a week...

As for the bonus, Wall Streeters will say that you have to pay guys like that for their "leadership" and so they don't jump ship for someone else. Wail, within year that's exactly what this guy did, so another GOP theory shot to hell

Oh yeah, and I used to work for one of Sheldon Adelson's companies. They used to give out year-end bonuses of about $250-$300 to each employee. Not huge, but certainly appreciated. On year, he announced that they weren't going to do that because of the economy, and we all have to "tighten our belts" because times are tough, etc. Then in January, he shows up driving a powder blue Rolls Royce. Someone smashed a bottle of paint thinner over the hood, and it literally could have been anyone. Well, not one of his dozens of relatives who worked for him, but almost anyone...

Auriaprottu, dapip and luftmensch repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The money to purchase the paint thinner trickled down to the workers at least.

Auriaprottu and fatbastard repped this.
  15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I mentioned on other threads that I had to sit through an all hands meeting that involved the following. This was last month:

-The department laying off half the staff five months ago. Those effected were to leave this month presuming they didn't find opportunities elsewhere.

-During that meeting, the VP of my department was bragging about how our stock price was at its highest. Every employee barring management was looking at this guy like he was on drugs.

-The next day, the VP held a Q&A session. As soon as the questions came flying in, it became very evident to him that he was disliked by everyone in the room. A smarter man might have picked up a book on history after that meeting.

Ironically, those who were supposed to leave are staying until December. Why? Because they bit off more than they can chew. Which usually happens with layoffs.

I do hold a theory that the GOP and executives/management would advocate child labor if it was politically feasible.

In another hint of irony, once the layoffs were announced, a lot of people at my employer left and there are quite a few still leaving.

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Are Rich People So Mean?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Speaking of "natural flow of human kindness,"I came across this quote by economist Jeffrey Sachs, during a speech to the Philadelphia Fed in 2013...

I believe we have a crisis of values that is extremely deep, because the regulations and the legal structures need reform. But I meet a lot of these people on Wall Street on a regular basis right now. I’m going to put it very bluntly. I regard the moral environment as pathological. And I’m talking about the human interactions that I have. I’ve not seen anything like this, not felt it so palpably. These people are out to make billions of dollars and nothing should stop them from that. They have no responsibility to pay taxes. They have no responsibility to their clients. They have no responsibility to people, counterparties in transactions. They are tough, greedy, aggressive, and feel absolutely out of control, you know, in a quite literal sense. And they have gamed the system to a remarkable extent, and they have a docile president, a docile White House, and a docile regulatory system that absolutely can’t find its voice. It’s terrified of these companies.

If you look at the campaign contributions, which I happened to do yesterday for another purpose, the financial markets are the number one campaign contributors in the U.S. system now. We have a corrupt politics to the core, I’m afraid to say, and no party is – I mean there’s – if not both parties are up to their necks in this. This has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. It really doesn’t have anything to do with right wing or left wing, by the way. The corruption is, as far as I can see, everywhere. But what it’s led to is this sense of impunity that is really stunning, and you feel it on the individual level right now, and it’s very, very unhealthy.

I have waited for four years, five years now, to see one figure on Wall Street speak in a moral language, and I’ve not seen it once. And that is shocking to me. And if they won’t, I’ve waited for a judge, for our president, for somebody, and it hasn’t happened. And by the way it’s not going to happen anytime soon it seems.’”​

I suspect this hasn't improved one iota under Trump.

Naughtius Maximus, dapip and luftmensch repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And then in 2016 the public elected the candidate who would be more docile yet. And he has been. The Trump administration has been nonstop friendly to Wall Street, loosening regulations across the agencies. I am not aware of one complaint from Wall Street about how the Trump administration has conducted its business.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And they feel mistreated and threaten to back him for 2020 if we go with Warren or Sanders...

Dr. Wankler and Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I will mention that when the tax cut was passed last year my employer gave us a $1k bonus. They openly said it was that and the repeal of net neutrality.

21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    That happens quite a bit, because 1) people think they could be next and 2) the work environment tends to take a nosedive before the layoffs even occur.

Back almost a decade ago, the work environment in my old practice area was poisonous. Between that, my wife's job and our newborn, we were looking to relo. I pitched them an idea for me expanding the practice to cover more of the lower Midwest w/ a move. At the time, they were warm to it. Then the bottom dropped out of our engagement backlog and the call came to make cuts. Well, by putting myself out there a few months earlier, and with the need to cut 2 of 8 people at my level, I wound up being on that list...because they figured I was looking anyway.

When the global practice partner called me into his office, he went on and on about difficult decisions, me only being on the radar because x, they need to do something. I took it better than he did, then I mentioned to him that within 6 months, he wouldn't need to worry about layoffs because people would be packing up anyway. And within 6 months 6 of the remaining 20 at my level/one below were gone. As was my boss and one of my direct reports...for schtupping and other shady things...which is why I was trying to get the hell out of there. Couldn't prove it 100%, but it was an open secret. And because the global partner completely turned the other way on it, he was canned too.

My boss was canned a week before he was to sign on for the partnership. He wound up finding a way to explain it away to his wife and took a lesser job. Her startup did really well and then floundered, sucking up a lot of their $$$. Then she got sick of him, hired an expensive ass law firm (Berger Schatz) and proceeded to drain him for 2.5 years from filing to judgment. Karma.

22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I just survived my first layoff. There were no signs of a restructure happening and it was dropped on us suddenly. Thankfully, we had a six month window, but I was asked to stay after a few months. I’m still looking for other opportunities as I have a feeling it’ll be happening again next year. Also figured now was a good time to start my career change while I am at it.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was laid off 4 months after taking my first job, because the owner got scared when the stock market dropped, and dropped his most recent two hires. Two months later, I landed at a much, much, much better company. Karma.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me... left school at 16 to start work in the family business.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They upheld the FCC rules, but also upheld state rights.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/4/20898779/fcc-net-neutrality-court-of-appeals-decision-ruling