Looking at income disparity/inequality...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Warfare? It has certainly been argued that there was no real correction until at least the buildup to WWII...

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think the war had the most to do with it, but certainly the recovery was on before the dip due to suspending the programs in 37.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The most surprising part, to me at least, is the state at the top of the table:

https://itep.org/whopays/

[​IMG]

SEVEN OF THE 10 STATES DO NOT LEVY A BROAD-BASED PERSONAL INCOME TAX — FLORIDA, SOUTH DAKOTA, NEVADA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, WASHINGTON, AND WYOMING. Tennessee currently levies a limited personal income tax that only applies to interest and dividend income, but it will be eliminated by 2021.
    THREE STATES DO LEVY PERSONAL INCOME TAXES BUT HAVE STRUCTURED THEM IN A WAY THAT MAKES THEM MUCH LESS PROGRESSIVE THAN IN OTHER STATES. Pennsylvania and Illinois use a flat rate, which taxes the income of the wealthiest family at the same marginal rate as the poorest wage Oklahoma has a graduated rate structure but applies the top rate starting at taxable income of $12,200 for married couples — making the tax virtually flat in practice.
    SIX OF THE 10 MOST REGRESSIVE TAX SYSTEMS —FLORIDA, NEVADA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, SOUTH DAKOTA, AND WASHINGTON — RELY HEAVILY ON REGRESSIVE SALES AND EXCISE TAXES. These states derive roughly half to two-thirds of their tax revenue from these taxes, compared to the national average of 35 percent in fiscal year 2014-2015.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe we can say there's more disparity now in terms of money, with the astronomical figures handled today in the much larger world-wide economy, but certainly not in terms of distribution of power and tangible assets, which is what matters most.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When asked about reducing income inequality, many Americans do not know what decreases income inequality compared to what increases average income without changing inequality. The article "What Do Americans Talk about When They Talk about Inequality?" by Eunji Kim, Rasmus T. Pedersen, and Diana C. Mutz did a survey where respondents were given one choice that decreases income inequality and one choice that increases average income without changing inequality. The article is from 2016. The respondents were asked multiple questions, including which policy would be best at reducing income inequality and which policy the respondents preferred. The policy that decreases income inequality varied, so some people were given a policy that decreases the income of rich people, some people were given a policy that increases the income of poor people, and some people were given a policy that does both. It says:

"Overall, Americans’ understanding of the impact of various economic policies is shockingly low. In total, only 22% of respondents correctly chose both the policy best for purposes of redressing inequality, and the policy best for raising average incomes in the country as a whole."

People who don't know what income inequality is can't advocate for reducing income inequality.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and, look... here's a link :)

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2805330

soccernutter repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Job cuts for you, a cut of this bonus for me...

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Per the paper, being Republican was a statistically significant factor for giving less-accurate answers. What a surprise.

dapip repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm going to leave this here. Interesting thread.

1088171717845868545 is not a valid tweet id

Sounds a lot like Elysium.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some real NYC billionaire R.E. news:

A hedgefunder has just bought the most expensive home in US history — a $238 million four-story condo on Central Park South in a building dubbed the billionaires’ bunker.”

Ken Griffin is a globe-trotting house collector who also owns a $58.75 million condo in Chicago; a $60 million penthouse at Faena House in Miami; $250 million worth of land to build a Palm Beach compound and a $122 million London mansion.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/most-expensive-home-in-us-history-sells-for-238m-by-central-park/

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The question is which one will he pick for the apocalypse...

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't think hes done. I recently saw that Tokyo was up for sale.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I continue to be amused that the party for the rich is adored by the poor, and the party for the poor is popular with the rich. Was just going through a list of states with the highest percentage of millionaires. The 8 fewest were all blood red. The 12 most were all blue, except for Alaska, New Hampshire, and Virginia (which looks to me to be turning pretty reliably blue).

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the thing is, rich people can live anywhere, but they are gonna want to live in nice places. Poor people live where they are and if they'd like to move some place nicer, too bad, because they can't afford it.

If you had the choice, would you really want to live in a Red State shithole?

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think in some cases, is the other way around: Billionaires want to make the places they live into a Red State shithole. See Koch-Kansas.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The places where most of the serious money-makers are would be big cities. No one makes a killing trading on the Topeka Stock Exchange. Coastal Elites have a lot of money and they live on the coasts, most of which are blue. The most expensive real estate isn't going to be a beach house on the Gulf of Mexico, as nice as some of those might be. It will be in Blue areas like California, the Hamptons, Nantucket, or even purple areas like Florida.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because they are rich and live in large cities (with second homes in the country side) does not mean they vote democrat.

But going by exit polls, if I remember correctly Clinton did win the top income bracket by 1 or 2% points.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow is that an ignorant statement.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I would imagine lots of the Filthy Rich liked them-seffs some massive tax cuts. But they want to live in good places. Basically that means blue states, where there are actually services and stuff.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Strange. I live in a very, very blue city and they did such a bad job of cleaning the streets after this last storm that 14 school buses got stuck and had to be towed...more than 48 hours after the snow stopped and in the midst of a nearly 50 degree rise in temperature and rain to help melt what was there.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I live in one now. I have a choice, but it involves more people than just myself.

Without the constraints, I don't think anyone would make that choice but a shitty person.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Meaning that Hillary played relatively well among the wealthiest whites, because almost all those very rich are white, and overall she got beaten among white voters by 20 percentage points.