"London" Donovan or Roma Elsewhere: Donovan Rumors

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Tony in Quakeland, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Awww, him and Pjanic can be roomies.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for LD going to Mexico and winning championships. I doubt he can do that in Europe, we know he is not going to Barcelona, RM, Man U, Chelsea, etc so what does he have to gain, nothing. He didn't do it when he was young, who cares now. He might just be throwing stuff out there so that he can get Clint's type of money in LA.

4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That's what I was thinking. Same as when he flirted with Everton before resigning.

5. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Media reported that he had to sign his current deal in order to go on loan to Everton the first time.

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I thought his current deal was after the first Everton loan, but I guess I was wrong.

7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that he's available for free makes this interesting. He is essentially a risk-free asset. If you were Roma (completely unfounded speculation here) why wouldn't you take a flyer? Everton could sure use him, and I am pretty sure Martinez would want him.

I think it is unlikely, but...since when has Donovan not followed his own drummer? He'll go somewhere if he thinks the experience of going somewhere will be interesting.

Just don't go to ManU. As a long time Gunners fan, I don't think I could take that particular stick in the eye...

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wake me up when LD actually has an offer in hand of a club has gone on record saying they want him. I am all for LD moving abroad but I have serious reservations that a club, a good one, would take a flier on him even if he comes on a free. I honestly have no idea why I think that and I have nothing to show for it. It's just a gut feeling. A gut feeling that I hope is proven wrong.

9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know with that guy. Only he knows what he is thinking. He has played in MLS for 8 years in LA at home, then he cried that he wasn't spending enough time with family and he was tired. Now, if i was a betting man I would bet on him not going anywhere and getting a good salary increase.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what happened. Landon wanted to go on loan in 2010 and MLS/LAG said no, can't go unless you sign an extension. If Landon didn't sign, he wouldn't have gone of loan in the WC year. It was a choice of no loan in a WC year or go on loan and sign an extension.

And Landon still tried to force a sale when at Everton, which of course MLS/LAG said no too. Then, according to a number reports out of Everton last summer, LAG/Everton had an agreed upon sale for Landon leading up to Aug and Landon fully expected to move permanently. That was part of the reason Everton sold Cahill for such a cheap price. Then last minute LAG backed out. That was right around when Landon started talking about burnout and took a few games off from LAG. Part of his burnout appeared to be being burned out from dealing with LAG/MLS.

11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. Won't sway the vocal minority that wants to always find something wrong with Donovan at every turn. But for the rest of us, a good summary and reminder.

12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Yep, wsmaugham corrected me on that. I forgot about the stuff last summer - thanks for the recap.

13. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this might be a little too vague and a little too premature for a YA thread at the moment. As y'all know, we're not big on speculation threads around here, and it's hard to see this thread as anything but...for now, at least. Would it be ok to revisit later in the fall?

14. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see your point. I was hoping a few more things might shake lose after the Goal.com story, but so far he has not been photographed and any airports...

Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  15. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. When LD starts blowing up the Twitternet then we can go buck wild here in YA.