Loan/Transfer Question

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Gru88, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am unclear on a couple of things involving loans and transfers.

1. When a club receives a player on loan does the player see any of the loan money or do they simply get paid for the time of their service.

Example- I read Everton paid MLS $100,000 for the 3 month loan of McBride. Correct me if I am wrong on the amount. Will McBride see any of that loan money or will he just get paid for his 3 months of service?

2. Same question for a transfer. If a player goes to another club on a transfer does he see any of the transfer cash or is that entirely to the club or league? I assume on a free transfer the players contract is up and he simply choices to transfer clubs and signs a new contract.

That's all for now.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't know about loans, but players do get a percentage of the transfer fee. I believe 10% is the standard, but I'll search around.

3. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Loans I think so, but I can't say for sure.

As for transfers, it depends on if the player has asked to be placed on the transfer list or not. If he has, then he does not get a portion of the transfer fees as the fee is usually lower than if a club made an unsolicitied approach for the player.

If the player is bought without asking to be transfer listed then he usually recieves 10-15% of the transfer fee.

I believe that when Olsen went to Forest, the fee was $300,000 per 6 week loan (2 loans) then if Forest wanted to buy him, the loan fees would be applied to any transfer fee.

I believe Olsen did get 10% of those loan fees ($60k) a nice little supplement to his MLS salary. Although he did suffer the broken ankle that put him out of action nearly 18 months.

4. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    the biggest difference between loan and transfer is the transfer of the contract. There can be many minute details within the agreement. Many clubs put a player on loan just so they don’t have to pay his salary. My guess is Everton is paying $100,000 of McBride’s three-month salary. If McBride makes more than $33,333 a month, MLS has to cover rest of McBride’s salary. But there’s no way he makes that much money, so MLS gets a cut of the $100,000, which is whatever is left after they pay McBride his salary. If McBride makes $400,000 a year then MLS gets nothing.

5. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I am no expert on loans or transfers. They both confuse the hell out of me.

But, most sports leagues in the US do not pay their players in the off season. I don't know if MLS is different (due to SEM, who knows) in this regard. So, I don't know if there would be a salary to deduct from the loan payment as mentioned in the previous post.

6. NeilAdvni

NeilAdvni New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Club:
    AC Bellinzona
    Business Loans

Money plays an important role when thinking of starting a business. Be the business big or small, you need capital. You may have a very good business idea, you may have people ready to work with you but without money to start and run the business, you can possibly do nothing. Business loans are for you then. They give you the money to start up and thrive in the competitive business world. Business loans are the loans availed of, with purposes like starting a new business, enhancing an existing business or for an acquisition or a merger. For business loans, you can opt for government schemes, go to banks or look for private lenders ready to invest. Read on for help with finding business loans.

Neil Advani