Liverpool FC vs Spartak Moscow - CL - Dec 6 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2017.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I could breath after the 4th goal.

3-0 still gives me the shivers. ;)

usscouse and asitis repped this.
  2. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  4. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ha!
    Emphatic!
    Comprehensive!
    Complete!

...and as Ryered said "Boom.""

5. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We have some revenge to extract from both real and Basel - either of them are fine by me.
    I'd love nothing more than to see sergio ramos in a fury trying to keep up with the Fab 4 and earning himself yet another red card.

6. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool are unable to play another Premier League team in the round of 16, or Sevilla as they are the runners up from Group E, so the potential opponents are as follows…

FC Basel
    Bayern Munich
    Juventus
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    FC Porto
    Real Madrid

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fir...iverpool-can-face-in-champions-league-last-16

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brilliant performance. The Fab Four are unstoppable when they are all in form.

Despite some disappointing results, we dominated this group. A goal difference of 17 on just 3 wins.

Madrid, Juve, and Bayern will want to avoid us in the draw just as much as we want to avoid them. We should fear nobody and have as good a chance as any to win the competition. Our attacking players are special, we could add defensive reinforcements in January, and we have the added edge of Anfield on a big European night.

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Today Emre Can played in his preferred role in front of the back four. How is it possible that he is considering Juventus? Next season he could be part of a 3 man midfield with Naby Keita and Phil Coutinho behind Mane, Firmino, and Salah. He has a brilliant manager from his home country. There is no place in Europe that he can find more exciting football.

That goes for Phil as well.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep, totally baffling.

CB-West repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No other English team has ever qualified from the Champions League group stages with so many goals – 23 from six games. Not even the great Barcelona and Real Madrid sides have accumulated these numbers. Paris Saint‑Germain, who scored 25 times to qualify this season, are the only side ever to do better.

speker, jeffcoop and Suss repped this.
  11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    While I fear nobody, it would be nice to avoid one of the superpowers until the quarterfinal.

Not sure how Barca was in a group with Juve and PSG with Bayern. How were those not all pot 1 teams? There is not much reward for winning the group considering some of the teams that were runners up.

12. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have to win at least this next round, because I think it's in the Champions League rulebook somewhere that if we get to the knockout rounds, we have to play Chelsea at some point.

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ryered, liverbird, imasyko and 5 others repped this.
  14. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, what a difference 2 weeks makes! Our collective Schwanz was in the dirt after the Seville match and look where we are now! Top of the group! Never doubt Klopp! We have one of the most explosive attacks in the world. Why would Coutinho still want to go to Barca? He can do more here. And we can challenge them in the CL.

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We didn't get back from our trip until late afternoon, so the first thing I did when we'd settled in was to get myself down in front of the telly.

They, the NBC gave us a bit of time for YNWA always nice to see and hear. That blasted Mrs Scouse into the bedroom to catch up on her TV shows.

I was just thinking that they're coming at us and not letting us settle then Bam ! A cheap PK a 1 goal start in 3 1/2 minutes. That made me more nervous. Opened the first beer. Then two periods of football magic made it three. Even more nervs set in. Especially when Mo and Sadio started spraying the ball up into the Anny road crowd.

Then at half time I'm imagining Jurgen reminding the team in no uncertain terms what happens if you get complacent and start thinking that the game was over before you kicked off for another 45 mins.

Whatever (I think) he said, must have worked cos Bam and Bam it's 5-zip and Phil has a hattrick. I guess that stirred Sadio and Mo up as they thought they wanted in on the action and they got one each, nice goals to. A side blaster and a nice draw back sending the defense the wrong way. Bobby got in on the action along with a second from Sadio.

Suddenly I don't feel nervous any more.

A couple of wild shots and a good PK call for Studge refused could have made it a case of overkill :)
    The ref out of pity cut the added on time. We'll give him that.

That's what you call a home coming.

17. LFChile

LFChile Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In the group stage draw the Champions of the top 8 leagues were in the first pot, we were just lucky enough to get Spartak.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we'll get a touch team in the draw, no doubt in my mind.

but tbh if we can get the second leg at Anfield I won't worry a ton after last night.

19. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So on the morning after, a few thoughts

English media and former players said Rodgers had no Plan B. With Klopp they decided he was a great motivator and trainer of players making them better. But he had only one way to play. 4-3-3 and press high.

Well in two games Klopp has played a 3-5-2 with a player who never defended in his life as a center half in the back 3. We won 5-1 with the opponents goal coming from what everyone says was a mistaken penalty.

Then last night, when we absolutely needed to win, we were all sure he’d play his 4-3-3. Instead he played a 4-4-2 with Salah as a lead striker and Firmino in behind. This allowed Mane to play as a wide midfielder on the right. It gave Gomez help on Spartak’s best player, Quincy Pomes, who likes to play on the left and cut in on his right foot. It also allowed Mane and Coutinho to get on the ball wide against fullbacks. Both recovered balls wide that led to our first 3 goals. Result we win 7-0. The two wide midfielders get 5 goals.

Tactically challenged? No plan B? Kiss our bloody ass!

YNWA

Red Bird, ryered, imasyko and 5 others repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the refusal to allow that Klopp might have needed some time to get up to speed in the PL - with the 4 competitions, no winter break, and the Neanderthal managers and players on some of the bottom of the table teams.

I keep harping on this - we have the deepest squad we have had in the last 15 years - it's starting to pay off. Will it result in a trophy this year? I have no idea - but I do know that we are a handful for anyone.

Wingtips1 and liverbird repped this.
  21. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As group winners (and therefore seeded), we are guaranteed to get second leg at Anfield.

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

That was a moment of pure genius and incredible speed of thought - ala Luis Suarez ......

Some player this guy..............

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I'll take that - now give us any Round of 16 draw except Bayern Munich please .....

We owe Real Madrid a spanking ......

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Hmmmmm..... We should have won th ePremiership in 97 and 2009 and 2014 too.I don't believe in conclusions before they are concluded .....

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Something to do with fat ladies and singing.