Liverpool FC vs Newcastle - EPL - Sept 14 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 2, 2019.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the whole 12 or so passes/movement (with one bounceback to Mane from their defender) leading up to that goal were exemplary football, starting and ending with Salah.... Firmino fantastic ....
    and he actually had an equally good flick later on in the game that Salah and Trent couldn't get into the net ....
    All in all, that was a superb performance. If Wijnaldum's fantastic attempt had come down a foot lower and if andy had found the net that would have been considered a blitzkrieg game by pundits, well it was anyway ....

great stuff all round....

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Being somewhat facetious.....
    Marooned on an island of belief in VAR ... maybe ... ;)

Although if you look back on the VAR threads you can see Hobo (and maybe others) arguing with me over an even more nailed on penalty than that one at last year's WC, because it entailed two guys doing pretty much what happened to Matip in equally plain view - so there's obviously a strong variance of opinion on what is and isn't a penalty foul.

Basically, the problem is that even a qualifying statement such as [paraphrasing] "it has to be a clear and obvious error" is likely to be a subjective matter a large percentage of the time.

I wonder what the VAR guidelines say if there are two watching refs in absolute disagreement over something like this incident? Or do they have an uneven number of refs so that they can reach a vote decision quickly?

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the skill displayed by Bergkamp in this QF goal at the WC in '98 would have undone any defender. that the Dutchman had the presence of mind to tap the ball into the turf over the defender's leg was genius.

Oh, and Frankie De Boer's diagonal ball was better than average, too.

Samarkand and usscouse repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    He used to pull some audacious stuff. That one with his back to goal and a defender behind him. He chipped and spun the ball to his right as he rolled left and met the ball again behind the defender and an open goal in front.

5. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We win
    City Lose

Jobs a Goodin

6. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Best stadium in the World!

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Best pub across the road.......

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    defend this ....

usscouse repped this.
  9. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever #6 was for the defending team, the player whose leg Baggio vaulted, was completely wrong footed, and his body was turned so that Baggio could use his positioning against him. That the clip is in slo-mo doesn't help.

Good example of great skill.

10. Just watch Stengs when ManUnited hosts AZ Alkmaar. He's a combination of van Persie and Bergkamp in the making.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Can’t contain myself looking forward to a Man United game. Want to take a quick guess as to how many I’ve pencilled in in my calendar?

BTW, United are hosting AZ Alkmaar? Is this in a European competition? I’m on P. 26 of a google search and can’t find a European competition that United are in. Maybe it’s a friendly?

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    europa league.