Liverpool FC vs Man City - EPL - Oct 7 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 3, 2018.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He talked about the bus "attack" ad nauseum before the game.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "YMMV" stands for "your mileage may vary". It is used as a disclaimer that "this claim for results will be different for every person". It is commonly used when answering technical-type questions in online conversations.

-- I learned something new today as well.

Samarkand repped this.
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ah OK thanks.

good to see that someone thinks that the results of simple arithmetic may vary depending on who's doing it. :)

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, final placement doesn't constitute current form, but it does give an idea of relative strength. Few teams make a dramatic decline or improvement year to year. Obviously there will be 1 or 2 that move up or down more than 4 or 5 places, but for the most parts teams generally will be in a fixed range.

Here is a more detailed analysis of our schedule from Paul Tompkins, who concludes is was the hardest first 10 games in at least 25 years, and that doesn't include City. https://tomkinstimes.com/2018/10/time-wasting-man-city-show-huge-respect-to-liverpool/

soccershaggy repped this.
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting after this break in any case as our midfield options will increase:

Gini, Henderson, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, Lallana

And the rotation for the front 3 should also increase as it seems Klopp is starting to trust Sturridge again slowly but surely:

Firmino, Salah, Mane, Sturridge, Shaq

(btw - I can't see solanke or Origi getting a single game - unless it's the FA Cup first game we play against an easy opponent).

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #106 Samarkand, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    But it’s not is it? It’s a lot more than simple arithmetic.

As you yourself have said,
    And that’s what I’m saying. That two draws, against Chelsea away and City at home, are almost a wash because form, rankings, placement and some other stuff.

No one got 3 points, no one got zero, the battle between the now top 3 is more or less as you were. We haven’t stolen a march on Chelsea or City nor they on us because of the draws. And as things stand the reverse fixtures and the 2 games between CFC and City all look to be very tight. Draws across the board? Maybe, perhaps not (YMMV :)) but right now the ground we gained against CFC is the ground we lost against City. A wash.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just to clarify:
    I track our games only -- not other teams. I don't do it to see how we're doing relative to other teams' results in this year's competition, but to see what progress we've made (or not) compared to our results last season. there's a zillion variables but comparing exact-same fixtures is the best I can come up with.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Origi - I could see playing a minor part. No need at all for Solanke IMO. He could be loaned out at Jan

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Not really - because it was important to get to this point here. As both teams have a tougher run of games to play. So, rather than a 50-50 wash - I call it a necessary set-up platform for a run which might open us out a lead of a few points.... maybe....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    True there, Speke -
    Henderson I can see scoring the odd belter from distance... the others, not so....
    The problem with that trio as a midfield is if the front three are misfiring or marked tight, then we don't have much extra to rely on....

but realistically, in games where you are playing weaker opposition I would not start one of those three, and I think the goalscoring would open up then...
    (Oxlade may be a bigger loss than previously noted)

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

And two CL games that should be winnable without too much pressure building up. (I mean, we have to go out and play well, of course, but it's a good position to be in leading up to the heavy mid-winter schedule..... I'll take it gladly....)

12. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Very telling we got this much respect from Pep, we surely seem to be his bogey team at the moment. The fact that we are joint top with the front three in a collective funk and Keita and Fab still finding their legs is about as good an outcome from this stretch of games as I could have wished for (and as others have said). And great to see such strong performances from Hendo and Lovren, we need both of them contributing over the course of the season.

13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The 4-3 win was more comprehensive than the score line would suggest, and we proceeded to better his team twice more. He’s wary, alright.