Liverpool FC vs Man City - EPL - Nov 10 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 7, 2019.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Then just as we're getting back to form. (Yeah, we're always slow after the inter break) we face another international break.
    We'll face a rested Palace away. They have 15 PTS and a -6 GD.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that’s my favorite of all time.

soccershaggy and el-capitano repped this.
  4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think the TAA handball was 50:50, I think in any other league VAR would have ruled the goal out without question, but even if we assume for the sake of argument that it was 50:50, that still leaves room for three different outcomes including a penalty. The Silva handball is only relevant if the referee decides to give Liverpool a free kick. If he plays advantage and thinks that TAA handballed it, as most seem to, then he should have given a penalty. I personally think he missed the Silva touch and it should have been brought back for a Liverpool free-kick.

5. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well it is not an advantage situation until Liverpool gets the ball(you can't give city advantage for City handling the ball)

soccershaggy and Navieko repped this.
  6. Navieko

Navieko Member

Jun 23, 2006
    QLD Aus
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think it's pretty safe to say the ref couldn't have possibly decided to play advantage in between the half second it took for the ball to deflect off Bernardo's hand and directly onto Arnold's arm. After it played out though (off Arnold) it's quite feasible that he consciously registered a hand ball by Silva which directly resulted in the hand ball by Trent, and decided to let the one rule out the other and then let the advantage play.

In any case despite the "official" reasoning, it was a perfectly justified outcome when looking at all the facts in hindsight.

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love this bit from Martin Samuel of the DM which so eloquently summarises it for me.(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ampant-Reds-roll-champions-Anfield-again.html)

8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bloody hell, this gets even more hilarious!

From Keith Hackett in the DT (predictably no comment s are allowed).

You mean only to call it back because Bernado Silva's hand had flicked it onto Alexander Arnold's hand?

usscouse repped this.
  9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The man looks like he's snorted something illegal.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually the Keith Hackett column is open to comments and he is engaging with it, fair play to the man. He does sound as if he is unaware of the rule changes, though, the poor chap.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He probably had planned for the direct encounters to make up ground on us. A draw at Anfield and a win at home. When things didnt go according to plan he -for his standards- went ballistic. Would have been the same without debatable ref decisions

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Silva’s was never a handball - much the same as TAA’s from Sterling in the second half.

Had the cross directly hit TAA first rather than careening off Silva, then I think it would have been called. But, and, this I believe is crucial, there is a ruling/stipulation/understanding that when the ball pinballs around in the area, referees do not call handballs as quickly or obviously as they would on a straight shot.

I’m not certain, however, that TAA’s arm didn’t move towards the ball which brings intent into the equation. Now, he could argue, as Souness did on Sky after the game, that having your arms out from the body when you’re running or stopping running (for balance), is the natural position of the arms. If we accept this argument, along with the pinball-in-the-box “rule”, then I think TAA skates, but only just. Skates by a vote of 52-48.

Would we feel aggrieved had it been, say, Sterling in the City box? Very probably, though would LFC have switched off in the manner City did? Perhaps. I do seem to remember something like that happening to us in recent seasons, but can’t recall the exact details or opponent.

A direct hit and a penalty is almost certainly called, so the pinball rule is probably the reason it wasn’t. And I could see TAA being called for it next month. It wasn’t a tVAResty, but a subjective decision by the ref. Always going to be controversial.

LiverpoolFanatic, B.A. and newterp repped this.
  13. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #139 Suss, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    He was outstanding. There is a constant debate about our midfield and whether it provides enough creativity. There is one player that is always picked, and that is Gini. He’s been the one constant in the midfield that made its way to Kiev, achieved 97 points, won a European Cup, and finds itself 8 points ahead in November. Even when he doesn’t have stand out performances, he is clearly doing exactly what the manager wants. At what point do we call him what he is....one of the best midfielders in the world.

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #140 newterp, Nov 11, 2019
    The term they have been using with Gini is “press resistant” - you can’t take the ball off of him easily if at all.

Or we can call him Dutch. :D

in seriousness he’s so calm and composed - really helps us tremendously and his engine is second to none - even Henderson.

speaking of - all the forwards were tracking back all game yesterday. Damn impressive.

16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another stand out performer was Dejan Lovren. Crazy to think that he almost left the club in the summer and now finds himself as a crucial member of the squad.

A big difference between Liverpool and City is that City thought they could get away without replacing Kompany. It would have been a major mistake if Liverpool did the same with Lovren. If Lovren played for City, he would be their best centerback at the moment.

LiverpoolFanatic and usscouse repped this.
  17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they wanted another center back but were limited to English prospects because they couldn’t get another continental player without selling otamendi. Kind of funny.

18. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 yrs ago, who would have thought Mane would be pressing like a feral hound after a nip at the flanks of an alley cat???

19. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and there we have it!

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lovren is a weird one. In the big games, I'm not as worried about him anymore. In the regular games, I'm still holding my breath every time he gets near the ball. Almost like he knows everyone will be ready to jump down his throat if we give something up in the big game because of him but then he relaxes when he thinks no one is looking.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I disagree. TAA didn't handball it because Silva did, he handballed it because his arm was out dangling, with plenty of time and distance between the two based on precedent. To "let one rule out the other" is not part of the laws of the game, but I agree that that (wrongly) might have been the referees thought process. I think what happened was actually the least justifiable outcome. It should have either been a free-kick for the Bernardo Silva handball, or advantage-played and a penalty for the TAA one. To say that there was a handball by Bernardo Silva but not by TAA is a massive stretch I think. Something that even most of the the ex-LFC pundits were not making yesterday.

It's an advantage situation the moment the foul is ignored, though either way you don't get a free handball in that scenario. If the ref played advantage - which he says he did - then it should be a penalty. His rationale for it not giving a penalty is that TAA's arm was in a natural position. I think that's a horrible decision based on precedent if nothing else. The rules say that it's a handball if the silhouette of the body is made 'unnaturally bigger' by the placement of an arm that touches the ball.

I really cannot imagine that in any other league with VAR that goal would have been given. It's all academic now though I suppose...

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #147 Red Bird, Nov 11, 2019
    Bollocks! The only way that ball hits Alexander Arnold is because Silva flicked it at him with his hand. The best person to judge whether the player had a chance to move his hand is the referee who was not only closer to the action but attuned to the speed of the game and the velocity of the ball, not some armchair viewer watching slow-mo relays. At any rate, the adjudication of that is clear.

See https://www.premierleague.com/news/1263332

By the way, Man City lost 3-1, not a desperate 1-0 victory. You lot are trying desperately to deny Liverpool a deserved victory.

23. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ball to hand has never been a foul and clearly Trent did not intentionally play the ball with his hand. Oliver was very close to the incident and decided it was not a foul. Var does not over rule a ref's interpretation of a call.

Therefore Var has no role in this decision , it's the refs call whether you agree or not . And ppl have questioned ref's decisions since football began so no change there.

Up the Reds!

CB-West repped this.
  24. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #149 usscouse, Nov 11, 2019
    This should get a thread ban for being off topic. Isn't this for the idiots from other boards to talk down our 3-1 win.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you may have quoted the wrong post.

In any case - Jenks posts are not that bad. We don’t want to stifle discussion - and of course the incident is a talking point.

the difference is that you and me and most others can see that we were really good from start to finish yesterday and that the play in question didn’t decide the game.

Red Bird and usscouse repped this.