List of Private High Schools for Soccer?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ShawWalker, Aug 19, 2005.

1. where is waldo

where is waldo New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    New to the forum, I have four friends with kids that have been and/or currently are in the SSM academy system. Undoubtedly there are still nay-sayers out there but honestly I do not know how you can argue with the top notch academics of the school, success of the program within the first three years, and excellant facilities. I know on the boys side, 10 of the 13 senoirs from last years class or playing D1 this year. One of the three not playing had the opportunity to sign with an EPL team but choose to persue a career as a doctor instead. Another boy turned down an invitation to train with VFB Stuttgart's young academy to stay at SSM this year. A true testament of what those young men learn at SSM.

I know of 3 boys on the current U-18 that have committed to DI schools next year already. OK, enough of the SSM propganda I have question for all to chime in on.

The proverbally issue of having to many talented players playing together on the same team, or the classic "to many chief's not enough indian's syndrome". I see it with every state ODP team, every regional team, almost every youth national team. I've seen a few SSM games over the past two years, when they play together it is truely something to watch, however I've seen major inconsistant play from the same group because of individualism.

I know this isn't something unique to elite programs that bring in kids from all different backgrounds and cultures, but I am wondering if there isn't a better way to train and develope players to overcome this issue without sacrificing individual recognition. I was hoping Carter's approach would solve this, but so far I haven't seen a consistant solution. Any thoughts?

2. pramos

pramos New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So where is st benedicts prep of new jersey since 1990 have, 6 national championships, travel to england every year to play different youth teams over there....hold there own 4 team international tournament hosting youth teams from the best soccer academies in the world, that also formed players like, Claudio Reyna, Tab Ramos, Greg Berhalter, and Peter Villegas, not to mention Mike Ferrari that sign a million dollar contract with Sampdoria of the Serie A last year.

3. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Synergy Football Club in Vermont is worth looking at. We moved so our kid could go to CVU (because its a good school ...not because it wins state championships all the time)

There are private schools in the area.

Some kids (and parent) are traveling over an hour 3 or 4 times a week to participate with this elite academy.

http://www.synergyfc.org/

contact Hugh Brown. You won't be dissapointed.

4. where is waldo

Sep 3, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I think SSM has a huge advantage in scheduling. Yes it is a private HS but they don't play other HS teams. They only play top club teams or US academy teams. Looking at the U18's schedule on their website, looks like the older team is playing a few community and junior college teams to fill in the spaces between tournaments and club teams.

Does any other HS soccer team do this? It would seem to be a severe limitation if you could only play other HS teams during the HS soccer season.

5. keylyme

keylyme New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    My sons school just played St. Benedicts in a pre-season scrimmage. I had never seen this school before and was appalled at their style of play. Not at all like my son's club team. They were very physical. The minute anyone had the ball they would be tackled by a St. Benedict's player. They (St. B's) did win, but I did not see much talent. My son noted he was sure they had good players, but you couldn't see it because of the nasty style.

6. CaHsport

CaHsport New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    interesting

7. TennSoccer

TennSoccer Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Vanderbilt has not had a men's soccer team for three years. Former coach Tim McClements is now at SMU.

8. comeonnow

comeonnow New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    that list is for girls AND boys....

9. the rodg

the rodg New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    anyone interested in checking out the u-18 boys live go to the following link. It might cost a few bucks but for someone interested in the program they may want to see the top team in action.Also if you dont at all like what you see it could save money on a trip to see the school !The game is tonight at 7pm vs univ. of Minn. (the school does not have a mens soccer program , this is like a "majors or Adult team"
    http://www.ssmwebcasting.com

10. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I think its a free :D video feed tonight. Thursday Oct 23

11. the rodg

the rodg New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    yes ! at least for parents !! what a great tool for college recruiting though !?

12. Around the World

Around the World New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    A friend of mine from Indy told me that his son got an invitation to SSM's "Top Talent" program this winter break. He wants some help/info on what it is all about. Is it a HS recruiting ploy? Is it worthwhile to go? Any insight from SSM insiders? From what I was told: the kid is a freshman, 3 yr Indy 93 ODP, slightly above average academically. Thanks. :)

13. the rodg

the rodg New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    My son is a Junior at ssm, as far as the top talant program.... Im not to familiar with it .
    The coaching though IMO is second to none! Just like some college camps im sure they look at all the kids there with recruitment in mind and from a business standpoint its smart.
    Hey, if he wants to go to a camp and its within your time and finantial budget, WTH, Take him! But youll never really see what things are like at the school unless you visit during the school year! (Its pretty impressive) You will however get to see the Facilities and that in itself is no less than awsome. Some Things i can tell you for sure about S-SM,
    My son was a top level player before he got there (he started at s-sm his soph year)
    He is now much better than when he started last year!
    He is becomming a student of the game and that in itself is a great improvement!
    There is NOTHING "EASY" about this program and school !
    Only the serious need look at it. without the sports programs at the school you will still get many considerations from colleges, the academics alone are A+ and can stand up against anything out there !

14. where is waldo

Sep 3, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Ok enough with putting your own son on the top shelf "the rodg". Obviously with yourself being familiar with the SSM program knows that there isn't a starting 11, its more like a starting 15 or 16 depending on who, where, and when they are playing. This is one of the great idealogies of this type of developmental programs.

I have two boys that have been invited to SSM the last two years. They are not at the school. It is for numerous family reasons and nothing to do with the program. I personally know two boys that have been in the program for a few years and they have done nothing but grow and improve in everyway. You will have more negative people chiming up than positive with this, but I truely think it is the nature of jealous parents rather than anything negative about the school or soccer program.

15. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Explain further what you mean.

16. where is waldo

Sep 3, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    One of the best points of this type of program and a terrific "selling pt" is the quality of each player. In general, your kid as already been identified as a top talent thus the invitation. In the 5 games I watched this July, not once was it the same 11 kids starting. In fact it was not uncommon for a player to play all 90 minutes one game and only 20-25 mins the other. The "best" 11 players are not necessarily the 11 the start. Whither this is tactical, developmental, or individual game situation doesn't really matter. The teams are deep enough where any given player can set up and win the game.

Maybe a kid generally starts are plays 60-70 minutes a game. If he is sick and misses some practices during the week, or has a nagging injury, or needs time of the bench to get "re-adjusted" he may only play 20-25 minutes the next 2 or 3 games. Isn't that the whole point of this program, teach the kids that you need to put forth 100% everyday at practice and school. Results speak for themselves. Don't expect your son to walk into the program and be a "starter". Besides that label being losely defined in such a develpomental program as SSM, you have to realize every kid in the program was the club stud prior to even going to SSM.

BTW, this is exactly what makes playing these teams so dangerous, you never really know who is coming off the bench in the middle of the game to really stretch your defense out, chances are it was the kid that started the last 2-3 games.

17. the rodg

the rodg New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    What are you talking about ?

18. marcomilesi

marcomilesi New Member

Nov 15, 2011
    key biscayne
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hello everybody, pretty new to this.
    have a 12yrs old and already thinking about hi school + soccer.
    it seems to me that the ideal is a soccer academy which is also a boarding/prep school.
    i mean of the likes of Shattuck-St. Marys in Minnesota.
    here's some questions:
    1. is there any other academy apart from Shattuck-St. Marys in Minnesota which combines school + soccer?
    2. if there's no other, which are good soccer academies which are "tied" to good boarding schools (kind of like IMG which is "tied" to a private school)?
    3. is it possible if you go to a good boarding school also attend a soccer academy? (ie: if you go to one like Philips Andover, wld you potentially be able to attend a soccer academy "nearby" the school?)

thanks all for your help

19. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We are wondering exactly the same thing...Looking at Berkshire works w blacwatch and Worcester allegedly works w Revs in Mass, and wondering if folks know of any other "powerhouse" private schools in lower NY, Conn, or Mass. (and why their marketing representatives aren't trolling here)

20. FortunaDusseldorfer

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Berkshire does work with Blackwatch and pools some of its players with South Kent and Loomis to an unofficial showcase team scrimmages club teams etc. South Kent also has ties to FC Westchester as their Head Coach, coaches the FCW 18s. Hotchkiss is affiliated with FSA FC, but also runs their own thing similar to Berkshire SK and LC with Millbrook, Kent, and Salisbury. Worchester does not really have ties with the Revs, proctor has ties with NEFC as he coaches for the club as well. Kimball Union up in NH has ties with Upper Valley lighting, Phillips Andover has ties with NE Aztecs, Brooks has ties with NE Aztecs and Seacoast United. Williston Northhampton has ties with Western United as their Coach runs the club, as does Wilbraham and Monson Academy. Choate has ties with Beachside and Oakwood. Don't mistake a single player from a certain school playing on a club to be a connection, most kids if they are local or localish tend to stick with their club team before they went away to prep school. But yes if the school and coach is serious about soccer then your kid will most likely be playing club in the spring if he chooses to do so.