Lineups, Formations, Tactics, Stats, etc.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 18, 2017.

1. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re not that old. Where were you on May 11, 1974? I know where i was. South bleachers at Spartan Stadium, starting a life long love with our Quakes.

falvo, Goodsport, Quakes05 and 4 others repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently less than three years shy of half a century. :cry:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  3. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There days I can’t believe I’m going to be 57 in July and I’m back to a weight I was at when I was stationed in Sicily.

falvo and Goodsport repped this.
  4. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-3-2_17-12-34.jpeg

BTW. That’s me on the left with one of my very best friends, Bill Torres-Luna. 8 years after being teammates in the Philippines, we faced off against each other in Torrejon, Spain.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm sick of how terrible we are and how hopeless.

Given the current roster how would you lineup our guys and what tactics would you employ?

I'd do this, because Wondo and Hoesen both work better with a partner.

- - - - - - - - Hoesen
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Wondo
    Vako - - - - - TT - - - - - Espinosa
    - - - - - - - - Judson
    Lopez - - HC - - Ock - - - Lima
    - - - - - - - - Bersano

I know this is never going to happen, but it's better than what we're doing now. We're not going to play a 3-5-2, because that takes Lima and Lopez both off the pitch. We could go 4-3-3 which wouldn't be too bad. And I'd ditch the man marking crap, becaue that's not working and our guys aren't fast enough to pull it off.

Ockford is a leader on the backline and he makes fewer mistakes than either Harold or Kashia. The downside is that he's slower than molasses.

Bench Vega for Bersano.
    Trade Eriksson for a case of Carnegie Porter (Swedish beer).
    Trade Godoy for whatever we can get.
    Fire Jesse.
    Fire Bruno.
    Hire new scouts.
    Put a Quakes owned coach on Matias' staff, whether he likes it or not. (So that when Matias leaves we can carry on in the same vein.)

Put more money into marketing the team. Our gear should be all over the city. Most pubs should show our away games. We need a great media prescence in SJ.

We suck in so many ways.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

SoccerIsOurLife and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to love the shorts back then! I will be 55 next month. So, no, Goodsport isn't old!

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most Goals Allowed in MLS history:

1. 2018 Orlando City: 74
    2. 2018 San Jose: 71
    2. 2018 Minnesota: 71
    4. 2017 Minnesota: 70

74 goals allowed is just under 2.18 per game
    So far we're averaging 3.50 goals allowed per game
    With 14 goals allowed in 4 games, we need to average under 2.00 goals per game over the next 30 games to avoid setting the record

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. 57 in July on the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon.
    I also remember when shin guards weren’t mandatory in soccer.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so shockingly appalling! Wow! Four games in and we're already in record breaking suckage mode! Yeah! That's the spirt guys!! Worst f@#$ing team ever.

I can't imagine this getting fixed anytime soon. It's going to get really, really ugly in the near future. I don't even have a rational suggestion for what we might do to improve. Can't think of a thing, other that firing tons of people, Fox, Fioraneli, Almeyda, everyone on the coaching staff, at least half of the players. And there's no chance that's going to happen. Almeyda will be with us all season, unless he decides to flee in terror and disgust on his own.

CRAP!!

I'm at wit's end. Really, I am.

- Mark

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1011 falvo, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    You still look to be in great shape if you are still the same weight. Even at a young age, living in Sicily surrounded by all the great food, I know how hard it must have been to maintain and keep in shape.

Walking and not driving all over the towns always helps keep the weight off. Knowing how hard it is when I lived in Florence, the food is incredible and very difficult to stay away from.

Complimenti! :thumbsup:

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offensive Efficiency: You don't want to be in the bottom left corner... we are in the bottom left corner
    [​IMG]

Defensive Efficiency: You don't wan tot be in the top right corner... we are in the top right corner
    [​IMG]

markmcf8 and Neuwerld repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... you're saying that we're crap? Is that it?

QuakeAttack repped this.
  14. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    At least we are consistent on both sides of the ball.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One and a half months into the 2019 season, we're the worst team in the league based on xG differential....

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/04/14/armchair-analyst-all-24-mls-teams-review-week-7-analysis

We’re about a month away from “you are what your record says you are” territory – though take that with a grain of salt since teams like Seattle and D.C. last year, as well as FC Dallas (heading in the other direction) the year before kind of put the lie to that particular axiom.

We are much closer to the “you are what your expected goals differential says you are” part of the season, as teams that perform well by the underlying metrics through the month of April tend to keep performing well through the end of the year. For example you could’ve seen at least some of Seattle’s bounce-back coming in 2018 by examining the underlying numbers, as they had one of the best defenses in the league even when they were losing. Dallas’ 2017 fall wasn’t destiny, but there were absolutely early warning signs if you knew where to look (they created few good chances, and allowed teams a ton of high-value passes).

And so on and so forth. With all that in mind, here are the xG differential numbers so far in 2019:

Team Expected Goals xG Against xG Differential
    Los Angeles Football Club 15.59 6.98 8.61
    Houston Dynamo 10.52 5.17 5.35
    LA Galaxy 12.59 7.86 4.73
    Seattle Sounders FC 11.36 7.39 3.97
    Philadelphia Union 11.34 8.38 2.96
    Columbus Crew SC 9.71 6.99 2.72
    Sporting Kansas City 11.38 8.73 2.65
    Orlando City SC 11.18 8.59 2.59
    D.C. United 10 8.17 1.83
    Chicago Fire 10.48 8.72 1.76
    Toronto FC 9.43 7.81 1.62
    New York Red Bulls 8.4 7.12 1.28
    Minnesota United FC 10.47 10.15 0.32
    FC Dallas 8.82 8.74 0.08
    Atlanta United FC 7.21 7.74 -0.53
    FC Cincinnati 9.65 11.08 -1.43
    New York City FC 6.71 9.68 -2.97
    New England Revolution 9.2 12.2 -3
    Colorado Rapids 11.49 14.69 -3.2
    Montreal Impact 7.15 10.67 -3.52
    Real Salt Lake 6.27 10.69 -4.42
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 6.66 12.31 -5.65
    Portland Timbers 9.46 16.33 -6.87
    San Jose Earthquakes 6.84 15.72 -8.88

Lots of eye-catching numbers in there (yes, LAFC are that good, and yes, the bottom of the West has been that… not good).

Don’t take them as gospel just yet, but bear them in mind. Every week they become more useful as a guide through the brambles of the regular season.​

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...should-we-take-improving-san-jose-earthquakes

The system, I feel fairly confident suggesting, makes zero tactical sense. The entire point of tactics is that 11 branches bundled together are tougher to break than a single twig. Matias Almeyda’s system drops 11 twigs on the field and tells them to hold strong.

Its only main advantage is the element of rarity and surprise. Everything players do on the field comes from muscle memory; professional players have seen millions of pictures on a soccer field throughout their lives, and their brains have stored those pictures to know what to do when the arrangement arrives again. The picture they haven’t seen before? The center mid pushing the condiment nozzle for his counterpart.

Similarly, teams set up their tactics to play against the style they usually see. Twenty-three of the 24 teams in MLS play in a zonal defense, so teams prepare all preseason to play against a zonal defense. When the week of the San Jose game comes, they have little time to figure it out. If you gave a team two weeks to prepare to play a man-marking system, they could outwit it almost every time. But nobody has two weeks to prepare midseason.

Almeyda is banking on two things happening. First, the other team gets shook by San Jose’s tactics and lose their own coherent 11-person plan. Then the game turns into 1-on-1 all over the field, and Almeyda’s players, who are both more suited (ideally) to and more used to individual duels, win said duels. There’s one fact about soccer you should never forget: Intensity beats skill when the skill can’t match, or gets frazzled by, the intensity. ​

Hey some might argue that Leicester City won the Premier League in part because other teams didn't have enough time to prepare for what they were doing...

17. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8, Sactown Soccer and xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a firefighter in the USAF, and we were supposed to get exercise bikes for our physical fitness program. Getting stuff like that to that outpost in Sicily was problematic. So, the fire chief found a person who led us in aerobics. Most of the guys in the firehouse did real good with the program. Me, I shed 20 pounds before my family joined me. It also helped on the soccer field. It was the best part of all soccer playing experiences.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    Is ours the closest to being symmetrical?

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Looks like we have a hard time getting the ball to Wondo though.

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the service to our lone striker isn't as good as it should be.

We do have a nice symetrical passing network, not sure if it's the most symetrical, but close for sure.

I am not fond of lone striker formations ... but we're winning, so I can overlook that. :D

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DotMPP and markmcf8 repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mesut Ozil's decline shows football's No. 10s are a dying breed

"If we look at the world's top 500 players in our ratings, the proportion of number 10s has been falling since 2013," said Omar Chaudhuri, head of football intelligence at 21st Club, a consultancy that maintains a player-rating system akin to the NBA's plus-minus system. "In 2013, 59/500 were number 10s, but this has fallen to 51, 41, 37, 30, 30, 30 from 2014 through to 2019. In other words, the number of genuine number 10s has roughly halved in six years."

The numbers back it up, too. Among the 100 best creative seasons from central attacking midfielders this decade -- defined by the number of chances created while playing that position -- only 16 of them have occurred after the 2015-16 campaign. (We're excluding France from this, given the lower quality of teams in the bottom half of the table compared to the other Big Five Leagues. As such, the No. 10 is still alive in Ligue 1.) The best creative season since Ozil's 2015-16 season was ... Ozil's 2016-17 season. However, while in the No. 10 role, the German playmaker created 69 chances, less than half of what he churned out the year before. More importantly, though, 2016-17 marked the first time in 20 seasons that Arsenal didn't finish in the top four of the Premier League.​

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two recent article on the tactics under Almeyda...

The Earthquakes have adapted to Matías Almeyda’s tactics, and MLS should be on notice

Warshaw: Wake up, the Quakes are good now – here's how they can be stopped

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Any game plans that require teams to make big changes to their normal tactics are going to have a high rate of failure.

Almeyda is constantly reminding his players to “play the way you practice”. The Quakes love it when the game gets wide open and crazy. That plays to their strengths.