Liga MX looking at ending Promotion/Relegation?

Discussion in 'Mexican League: News & Analysis' started by barroldinho, Mar 8, 2017.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just read this.

http://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2017/...ajor-league-soccer-don-garber-charles-altchek

I'm not sure how true or realistic this is.

As I'm routinely involved in discussions on the topic of pro/rel in the USA, I wondered what you guys think about the system going away in Mexico? I know the implementation of the system has taken some flak at different times.

Is it as sacred in Mexico as it is in places like England and Germany, where the elimination of pro/rel is basically unthinkable?

Thanks.

Nacional Tijuana and OliverAtom repped this.
  2. JRB92

JRB92 Member+

Sep 23, 2009
    Hmm, I'm skeptical of the source

I would imagine something this big would be reported by other media outlets

barroldinho repped this.
  3. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    [​IMG]

I made a statistic for Liga MX :D Last 5 complete years (from 2012 (begining with Clausura 2011/12 to the 2016, ending with 2016/17 Apertura). What is incredible .... every promoted team resist only a season in Liga MX :) So, I think this system for relegations with average points/game in last 3 seasons is best way to keep a strong league ... and with only a relegation place from 18 teams, and any time same team relegate (17 Liga MX clubs play year by year), is no necesary to end relegation/promotion system. Anyway is too hard to join Liga MX for another clubs than these 17 :)

Queretano was an exception, when they must relegate, but merged with other team or take his place (San Luis and Veracruz or Chivas ...some of these clubs was implicated, I don't know too well the problem).

And another big points .... Liga MX is probably one of the most equilibrate league .... many competitive teams, and many draws in the league. In 1670 matches, 1185 was won and 485 draws.

America is only club which have many victories than 100. Tigres have 67 draws in 200 games, Queretano 80 defeats in 178 matches. Most goals scored America (344) and most goals received Chiapas (275). 6 teams won a title (or 2) from 10 possible.

Hope you like the statistic :D

DGreat and barroldinho repped this.
  4. Procala

Procala New Member

Atlanta Unnited
    United States
    Aug 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright hombres, I'm going to attempt to keep up with Liga MX this year, as my goal is to learn Spanish so watching Mexicans kick soccer balls in Spanish, while in a Mexican restaurant drinking Modelo or Corona, is going to be one of my new hobbies. Not sure if picking a team or not is what I'll end up going, but I have already eliminated Club America. I'm leaning towards either Cruz Azul, Tijuana, or maybe Chivas.

Californian81 repped this.
  5. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    I recommend leaving the idea of picking a team. Just enjoy the league and a favorite will come, organically.

Chesco United and barroldinho repped this.
  6. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, pro/rel has been suspended in Mexico. IIRC, it's for 5 years. How have the results been so far?

7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And after that period, do they intend to bring it back? And will it be based on the same three year (six season) period or something different? Echoing @Chesco United's question, how have the results been so far? And not "what do the tables look like now?" But is this pause doing what league people hoped it would?

I live north of the border with Tijuana, so it's nice not having to worry about Xolos for a bit, but I do like the mechanism in the world's leagues (but probably not here, though that's another beaten horse carcass of a thread).