Liga Games (R)

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by nbstriker8, Feb 11, 2014.

1. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Benfica beat Sporting, the eternal champions, today. That's pretty cool right?

Damn, this board is effing dead.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I should be happy that Benfica holds it's destiny in its hands, but it bothers me that if things play out this way, JJ will stay. Not even an extremely embarrassing showing in the CL is enough. One championship every five years. PDC would've fired his ass years ago, probably the first year after that terrible liverpool showing

3. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    You beat a pathetic Zabordem and all you have to say is that you don't want to really win because JJ will then stay on????

No kidding no one posts.

BTW, SLB had their 'Destiny' in their hands last year and we know how that ended.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah JJ fuxked up in the Dragao, and was rewarded with an extension

5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And sporting has a good squad, and were without their best player. Benfica dominated them today but lets not think that sporting team doesn't have potential. That, and Porto sucks this year.

6. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    So what, that's in the past.

You humiliated your rivals.

We should get ready for excuses and alcohol fed rants that fat boy will begin to spew any moment now.

7. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    #7 vaiamerda, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

All I have to say about that is

O melhor Zabordem nos ultimos 10 anos esta 1 ponto atras do pior Porto dos 15 anos!

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporting being Benfica's rivals is the past. Games between all three teams are clasicos, and Benfica - sporting was the biggest, but it's not anymore

9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    • 19ª Jornada - Liga Zon Sagres

Jogo: P. Ferreira vs. SL Benfica

Data: Domingo, 16-02-2014 17:00

Local: Estádio da Mata Real

PDF are a 'ghost of last season' but against Porto they showed some life. Expecting 3 points but this year is unusually volatile for bets/predictions.

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win 2-0 away at Pacos

Goals by Garay and Markovic.

Still in first

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    20ª Jornada - Liga Zon Sagres

Jogo:SL Benfica vs. V. Guimarães

Data:Segunda-Feira, 24-02-2014 20:15

Local:Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica

Would be nice if Gomes saw more than 5 mins. Almeida, was a good bet for a World Cup place a short while ago, but has not played a full game in how many months. Lima needs to get his spark back.

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Am I the only one who is getting more and more tired for the Portuguese league? Maybe it's because Porto sucks this year or because the streams have been crap but I find myself not even caring about watching even Porto games anymore. I do check the scores religiously. I catch the EPL every Saturday/Sunday morning and watch whatever team is playing even if it's Swansea vs Sunderland and find that more entertaining.
    I'm guessing it's because of the ease of access to the EPL but when I watch a Portuguese league game, it looks too depressing with the empty stadiums.

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @VicVR6

I can only speak for me personally but I have a hard time watching more recently too. It sucks that espn doesn't stream anymore (or at least not as often) and rtp only has one game a week, and never a "big" game.

What sucks, for me, is like this weekend, Benfica away at Pacos, and the entire crowd is in red, and singing for Benfica. I wish it was more like England or Germany, where neighborhoods take over stadiums for they own team, whether it be Chelsea, or Fulham, or milwall or Charlton atletic. It's like the only away games the big three have are agaisnt the other two.

Benfica, Porto and sporting have had a monopoly on the league and it's ruined. Like Madrid and barça in spain. That's why I'm pulling for atletico in la liga.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    When I was younger, around 94-2000, a lot of games gave on RPTi which was awesome. Now, that I have kids and responsibilities, I have less and less time to fiddle with streams to watch games. I'd rather just turn on the TV and let the game play in the background. EPL offers me that since I can watch 3 games on Saturday and one game on Sunday and it's way more entertaining. lately, I only suffer through the crappy streams for the Porto-Benfica games.

Even this season, Benfica might win it but who knows, you guys might lose some points and Porto wins it again. very exciting. lol Maybe they should just have Porto and Benfica play each other 30 times a season to determine the champion.

Well, Benfica have a home game in every stadium expect for Sporting and Porto due to tickets restrictions for Benfica fans. You guys have the most fans in the country so this makes sense but completely destroys all the "small clubs".

15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big 3 (really just Benfica and Porto) kill the small clubs, it's not exclusively Benfica.

And I agree about the EPL being so readily available. Even la liga, serie a and Ligue 1 if you get the sports pack. And starting next season fox picks up the bundesliga. That's gonna be two of the major leagues, available on regular cable in HD. Meanwhile Benfica buys out their clasicos meaning I have to watch the game on a stream or head down to the pub with 200 of my closest friends and no seating and one bartender who's not really that attractive.

First world problems

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Even though EPL is better quality, I just generally don't care about it and i live in London. Since I don't have SKY/BT 99% of what I watch or on streams with variable quality, anyway.

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another win today in the lowly Europa league.

Yawn

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Are you saying you wouldn't care if we won the EL?

19. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd care more for a run in the champions league. olympiakos, finished in Benfica's place, got a draw against a shit united team. Benfica should have won EL 2-3 times since Jesus took over, no exaggeration.

20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    #20 eurodad, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Sure I would agree too, all things being fair but lets be honest. What real chances would Benfica have of winning the CL championship ? Not much at all. We can no longer afford to compete with the big teams. Money is ruining soccer. We do however have a much better chance at wining the EL and that would be an achievement.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask PDC and Mou about that. A long shot? Damn right. But it's the luck of the draw.

And it would be an achievement to win the EL, sure, but Benfica has been at that level for 5 years. Winning back then would have been more impressive, if they win this year it's more like "well, finally" for me.

The CL championship in the Luz and you shit your pants agaisnt olympiakos and anderlehct. Would have been nice to go on a run.

22. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    True but the gap between the haves and have nots has grown a lot since then.

23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but look at that draw they had. If you stay in the game you keep getting delt hands

24. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ in the 1/8. Definitely the favorite to advance. Juve will be waiting in the semis...

25. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    If JJ wants it, we have the team to take it all the way this year. JJ has gone on record though saying the the league is his priority so he may rest players for these games