Lichaj at Villa: released and looking for a new club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I'm currently restoring Ajax to UCL prominence. Playing with them gives me the excuse to sell my older players. I win with kids.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only buy players 23 or under on FIFA, I sell all players by 28 yrs old. I like to groom them and sell them for big profit when they're still in their prime but done improving at a strong rate.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Leeds AND Forest interested in Lichai - this would have been huge news in 1980.

4. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would definitely have been the youngest player to get a game with either team.

eainterplay repped this.
  5. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    And probably the only non UK resident.

I haven't played Fifa in years. I got sucked into this FM shit and have no time for anything beyond eating and sleeping. Thank god I'm self employed, or I'm sure I'd have been canned by now.

6. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i just fired up fm 2012 again the other day. ********. that. game. don't play it if you haven't. don't. you'll lose hours/days/years of your life. licaj isn't rated on it, though, and doesn't start in the digital version down the line either. all in all, fm is often a pretty good barometer of who's who and who'll be who. not perfect, but often startlingly prescient.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  7. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In FM 13 he is rated pretty highly, in fact he scored 4 of the 12 goals in the 2013 GC when I was managing the US. Scored 2 against Mexico in the final, it finished 5-0.

8. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Has Lichaj ever been tried out at wing before? He has great speed and attacking instincts.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is he? Couldn't bring myself to buy that one. Any USA wonderkids?

10. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego Fagundez and Benji Joya, some others I don't remember, Zardes and Villarreal are wonder kids also.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  11. smscy

smscy New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I've never got why someone hasn't bought Villa or Birmingham City and pumped money into them. I bet if you asked most American soccer fans the three biggest cities in the UK they would guess London, Manchester, Pool.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Zardes turns 22 in September. He's a lot older than most people realize.

He's 4 years older than Fagundez, and 2 full years older than both Joya and Villarreal. Just saying, when you're that age, you're no longer a kid.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's FM13 for ya.

Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    This isn't meant as a knock on Ferguson, but I think you're under-stating how big Man U was before his arrival. They'd been through a remarkable title drought, but they were still arguably the richest club in English soccer, and neck and neck with Liverpool for the most popular. It was only a matter of time before they rose again.

15. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Birmingham is big, but when people talk about Birmingham as the 2nd biggest city in the UK they mean the West Midlands conurbation which takes in 4 clubs that have been in the Premier League: Birmingham City, Aston Villa, Wolves and West Brom plus one smaller league club: Walsall. There's also quite a number of historically big clubs nearby: e.g. Stoke and Coventry.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Sure. Totally agree. They're always going to be a huge club. However, the complete and total dominaton they have experienced since the late 80's also coincided with a tremendous explosion in exposure and money worldwide. It was a perfect storm of hitting the manager lottery at the pefect time in soccer history. Manchester was huge before, and was a sleeping giant. Similar to Leeds, but on a bigger scale. Fergie maximized that brand. It will be difficult to continue that domination though.

17. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

Randy Lerner put a fair bit into Villa at the start of his reign (and made a fair bit back on Downing, Milner, Young, Barry etc) but O'Neill made some absolutely dire signings on big wages, and I think Lerner tried to scale back a bit.

Its amazing to think that Villa were so close to Champions League football just a few years ago, considering the shambles they've been recently

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In the first half of this season, Villa were a shambles, but in the second half, I don't think that was true any more. Pretty good young team, with potential to get better, just a shame that Lichaj wasn't one of the players who made the grade.

19. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, they had a decent lead on Arsenal for 4th the one season and O'Neill bought Heskey in January while Arsenal bought Arshavin.(back when he was really good) I'm sure you'll remember this, but they were on the verge of going 8 points up on Arsenal, when they were winning 2-0 against Stoke at Villa Park in about the 85th minute and Stoke scored two quick goals to get a draw with Glenn Whelan scoring the equalizer.

Edit: I looked it up, that was actually on March 1st, I thought it was closer to the transfer window. Also the first Stoke goal was in the 87th minute.
    http://espnfc.com/en/report/243776/report.html?soccernet=true&cc=null

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Thanks for bringing up the great memories. I thought without a doubt we had champions league that season. I have some great memories of Villa finishing so close to 4th.

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Lichaj is likely to sign for Nottingham forest.

OWN(yewu)ED and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Forest would be a good move. The Kuwaiti owners seem to have a bit of money, and Davies is likely to have them in and around the play offs next year.

Sam Hutchinson was first choice right back last year, and has since returned to Chelsea, so Lichaj would likely be first choice straight away

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, INKRO, Chance and 3 others repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hope this is the beginning and not an end. Don't wanna see him stuck in the Championship forever. Would he be first choice RB at the club?

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. he would be 1st choice. Their RB last season, who's name is escaping me, returned to Chelsea after his loan expired. Though the loanee did miss a chunk of the season with a knee injury. Forest's owner has some deep pockets so I'm interested to see if they splash some cash. A few tweaks here and there in the roster and there's no reason they shouldn't be contenders for promotion. Signing Lichaj would be a good start.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.