Libertarian Fail

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There has to be a scene where he plucks Ted Cruz's beard on the Senate floor.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don’t need to.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why is this a fail?

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not.

I should have prefaced it with “this isn’t a fail but this is the libertarian thread, so...”

Sorry.

charlie15 repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Just say goodbye it's Independence Day
    It's Independence Day this time

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," Amash wrote. "No matter your circumstance, I'm asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I'm asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system -- and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep...4128229&cid=clicksource_77_null_headlines_hed

Moishe repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We found The One True Libertarian.

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Repped for the Springsteen reference.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Wondering who an Amash independent run would help. Trumpers are solidly against Amash. Not sure how ICs are digging all this Trump authoritarianism, nepotism and messing with the free market.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could be made into an example by Trumpism.

If you cross Trump (by doing your job) you will get kicked out of office. Trumpist will hate you and Democrats will do nothing to help you.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The group he helped create sold their soul to the devil. Shit happens when you jukp naked into the wrestling hot tub with Jim Jordan. He seems like a guy now who may do more outside of politics.

dapip repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nah. They will vote for the Trumpian candidate and will say democrats are going too far to the left...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man, please.

That ************************ was GOP all the way thru President Obama's tenure. NOW he leaves office and (of course!) goes all indypendent-y. ******** him.

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It was all hilarious & "stick it to the Libs" good fun when they were creating the monster or tacitly approving via their silence. Now the SOB has left the castle and we're all paying the price.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My read of Amash is that he really, REALLY doesn't like how the executive branch keeps taking more and more power from Congress. He could be a reliable Republican while Obama was in office. The thing is, he's actually a true believer; it wasn't a convenient mask for obstructionism like it was for the GOPs 2009-17. He's pretty much the only one (except the late Walter Jones, a bit) who has stayed consistent.

I'm sure there are some selfish motives in there too, but I think it's mostly him being a true believer in Article 1 powers.

Moishe repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Then he should have voted for Hillary. Bet you three pints of my blood v. one of yours that he did not.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't it be 3 of yours to 2 of mine?

In all seriousness, try to remember Donald Trump the candidate.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's how certain I am. Want the bet or not?

I have no problem remembering him.
    I'm the one here who took him at his campaign word, along with conservatives and libertarians all over America. That's how he won.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Joy Reid said that Donnie will grudgingly take his Goober approval but it's not what he craves. If someone like Robert DeNiro called him to shoot the shit Trump would absolutely love it. He consumes pop culture like most Americans. But like the hottie who always shoots down the nerd, he has to pretend to hate the Hollywood elite. So it's deer hunting with Nuge & Kid Rock in Michigan instead.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know Rand isn't really a libertarian, but this is the closest thread that I can get for him.

Delaying the extension of 9/11 payments for "fiscal responsibility"? After voting for deficit-ballooning tax cuts? Shameless doesn't even begin to describe it. Man, is he had. In his own way, he rivals Mitch.

taosjohn, stanger and dapip repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nobody knows what a true libertarian is, but we all know what a dick Rand is, so I'd say, this is the best thread to discuss that.

How much will the 9/11 payments cost over 10 years compared with the 2 trillion dollar cost (probably much more) of the tax cuts?

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rand's position is not good enough to rebut. Then again, supply-side economics amounts to (if expressed in household terms), "I'll balance the budget by working less so that I draw a lower salary, while maintaining spending." Yet supply-side economics still survives, after all these years. Rand's position isn't any sillier than that.

24. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

There are a million ways to fund every other stupid government program yet this is the one that he objects to.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Strange, isn't it? Same holds for his partner in crime, Mike Lee. I don't get it. Either be a fiscal conservative or don't. I can respect either approach, what I can't accept is the bullshit that comes with being neither.

dapip repped this.