Libertadores 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by celito, Sep 27, 2016.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, it's way early to open this thread, but I just wanted to post some major changes for the Libertadores next year which were announced today.

Mainly, it will now run from February to November and they are apparently considering doing a 1 game final in a "neutral" venue like the Champions League. Personally I like the 2 legged final.

http://espn.uol.com.br/noticia/6344...bertadores-ja-em-2017-de-fevereiro-a-novembro

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They've broken the Libertadores. A G-6? Talk about watered down.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Going to be interesting seeing teams trying to hold on to players in July / August against European transfer market in order to not mess up their Libertadores campaign.

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep, it's a huge money grab and just seems lame. The quality of the tourney was pretty low even in the height of Brazilian money/teams so I don't know how it will be now. I don't view the libertadores as a year long tourney. Yes, it being year long benefits brazilian teams due to money and depth but what does it do to our league? I feel like our league is footing the bill for this. Most of these south American lgs have the clausura and apetura so they can still get the excitement and not have a ton of distractions to them crowning a champion. also Do they really fuking think Olimpia , Once Caldas, insert Venezuelan club , ect, ect, are going to be able to afford the upkeep of Women's teams? lol. Europeanization pretty much and the libertadores is suppose to be a short bloody march not a pace yourself long trot whoever has the deeper squad and more money wins. The Tv money will be good tho for the people in charge.

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Boca, River, g-12 Brazilian teams, and maybe Nacional in colombia if we are talking about legit players. Other then that no chance. Outside of the teams I mentioned no1 pays enough to fight off serious transfers let alone the other issues like debt and third party ownership.

6. roryy

roryy Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    G-6 can bring a probable decrease in the competitiveness and if a team placed until sixth win Copa do Brasil, which the chances are high, even the seventh placed (practically a midtable) at Brasileirão can get into Libertadores lol. I think this new places should be better distributed, I have no idea how anyway. But I am curious to see how Libertadores will run in this new format and I don't despise the idea of having the final in a neutral place.

Did they give up about that thing of all teams to join Libertadores will have to create a female team? 'Cause as much as female football really needs more support I don't think it's viable or reasonable to do it like this.

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm with Celtio about the neutral game, I like the home and away better. The problem with a neutral game is this isn't Europe and there aren't enough clubs with clubs regional/ worldwide brands. No1 in Rio or Buenos Aires is going to go see Emelec vs huachipato in the Maracana. Extreme example but it's an issue. I've met mexican fans in real life who didn't even know about Flamengo. I also worry about the bigger teams getting "breaks" in this system. I think the two biggest clubs outside of their country in South America is River and Boca to be honest.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not sure how it affects the quality of the "real" Libertadores to be honest. They are not expanding the groups, just the pre-group phase. This is not like expanding the WC or Euros. The negative side is you could have 8 Brazilian teams in the Libertadores (counting the Sudamericana champions if it happens to be a Brazilian team). That's a bit much.

From a Brasileirao perspective, it actually has the potential to keep almost all teams very interested in the competition until the very last day. Teams are either fighting for the title, the G6, Sudamericana, and relegation.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At least the Libertadores was never called the "Champions" league. :D

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Grabbing a Libertadores spot actually used to mean something where as now it's almost meaningless. It'll force some teams to spend money just because they made the pre-group stage, but that's not always a good thing. More often than not, I bet it's money that clubs simply don't have. Even in Europe, the 6th place teams don't get rewarded with a chance of making the Champions League group stage.

Fight for a Sul Americana spot? The competition is a joke. I mean, even Santa Cruz was awarded a Sul Americana berth this year and they were recently promoted from Serie B. That's how meaningless a spot in that competition is. Soon we will be sending Serie C teams to the competition.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't mind them moving the Libertadores up some, but November is extreme. I always thought Brazilian clubs were at a bit of a disadvantage because they are barely out of pre-season mode by the time the group stages starts. The downside to extending the competition is going to be the craziness that is the "summer" transfer window. Teams that are still in the competition will be trying to fend off European clubs and will try to sign new players. This is much different than what is experienced in Europe as the January transfer window is far more "tame" in comparison and doesn't really impact the Champions League.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. The Libertadores will be watered down from a Brazil perspective and yes, it will force some teams to spend money they don't have trying to grab a dream which won't pay off. We all know Libertadores doesn't pay shit. Even if a Chapecoense or Ponte Petra makes it into the Libertadores group phase for example, they still won't have a deep roster to play both competitions. Heck, even our top teams don't have deep rosters to play both.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

15. roryy

roryy Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Not the Libertadores but Brasileirão. Fighting for 4 places was more competitive not as now that even being a midtable the team has big chances to get it.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fla drew the group of death. TBH, I prefer that then to see them embarrass themselves with a relatively easy group. I'm already set up for disappointment anyways.

17. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  18. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I'm glad not to see Emelec in our group :D

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  19. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not many tough groups. I couldn't even find a second one that id consider a group of death. Maybe group a but that's pushing it

20. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I think (I hope) Palmeiras, Gremio or Santos will win this time....

21. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I love the libertadores. Is there a chance outside of Brazil and Argentina?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No love for us? :(

23. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    OOOPS! FLAMENGO!!!!!!!!!!!! and Palmeiras second?

24. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Who is everyones favourite to win the league?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

25. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Still early but I'd say Palmeiras