Libertadores 2011 TV coverage complaints, banter, etc. [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Mosco, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    I think Conmebol should have a say on this; they should either demand fox deportes to show all the games live, or throw out the mexican teams.

2. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    It's possible they won't see it as a worthy investment, yes. But with any investment, you have to weigh the pros, don't you think?

Remember that our population has skyrocketed here in size in the past decade or so. Plus, you have to figure that many of our population, unfortunately, weren't able and continue to not have access to Fox Espanol.

Sure, we have lots of options today with satellite and all but I would think the Univision channels would be keen enough to grab this tournament with today's demographics, especially since their channels are provided in most basic packages.

Sinceramente, yo lo veo como buen negocio porque estos numeritos con Fox no esta funcionando por algun razon.

3. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Considering how few games we get live, the hacks at Fox Deportes could make an effort to give us a half-decent picture. The quality of the image in the Junior-Oriente P. game was God-awful.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's all about the brand name. ManU, Barcelona, Inter, Bayern, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester City, AC Milan, Liverpool, Arsenal, Lyon, Juve, AS Roma are the teams attracting attention to the UEFA Champs League.

It takes a few years to make a brand appealng all over the world, but once you got it then the whole tournament is better watched, including games where the big teams don't appear. People watch Schalke or Tottenham because they are in the same league as the team with favorite players is (Bayern and ManU, for example).

Also, due to demographics, anything European is going to be more popular in the USA than anything from Latin America. Doesn't matter what it is. People won't want to see Neymar until he's playing in Chelsea. The bottom line is that, unlike the pool for European championships which include people from all continents, the pool for the Libertadores is mainly Hispanos/Latinos, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Real football fans will follow it if it is available, no matter where they are. But real football fans are a minority. If anything, I think there is a bigger market for the Libertadores in East Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The tournament is prestigious enough, and folks in those regions look up to it as a model of what good football can be without clubs ready to spend a gazillion in players.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    All of this doesn't explain the fact that 2-3 years ago pretty much every Copa Libertadores game was shown on Fox Deportes.

You've got things backwards.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Lack of interest, because they're trying to market it in the wrong country.

In the USA even the South Americans tend to watch more the Champs League, at least in my experience. It's part of the illusion of integration: you're much more likely to fit in with the current sports discourse if you talk about the Chicago Bulls, the New York Yankees, the New England Patriots and Manchester United.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea i know what you mean. I constantly tell my white buddies who love Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, watch teh 'stars' before they are stars on the libertadores.

There is a SAP button for english language broadcast.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Due to the time difference it would be a tough sell in Asia too.

That's probably true. Of course the UEFA CL has the advantage of being into the quarterfinals already while Copa Lib is still in the group-stage. So unless the team you support is playing in the Copa Lib it is difficult to get excited about it at this point in the competition. Last night's match b/w Libertad and Once Caldes was played in a stadium that fits about 10,000 people. That's just not attractive to a neutral fan.

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe it has to do with overblown expectations, I've read on these forums that some european leagues had the same problem with international markets, it wasn't as big as they expected it would be. Thus CONMEBOL not only gave the wrong approach but also is wasting time.

It must be because they pick from the analog feed from South America, note that while there's a HD feed there isn't a digital SD feed, which looks crappier by the day, and occasionally what they do is stretch the HD signal into analog, so occasionally if you're watching in a non-widescreen TV you end up missing things on the sides of the screen, the same happens with UEFA competitions on FOX Sports, now this doesn't happen with FOX Sports+ which is a digital only channel. But all this because the ********ers can't get a digital SD feed. With the argentine league there's a similar issue, the digital cables mostly carry the analog feed of TV Publica Digital and Canal 9, when there's a digital SD feed which looks a lot better even if it's SD.

Then again it's still sold in Europe, middle east and Asia without inviting anybody... Like it's done with the argentine and the brazilian league.

But all good I won't have to deal FOX Sports anymore on the future.

10. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Thats like telling the Pentagon to move to Greenland;)

11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    FOXsoccer.tv has added live Copa Libertadores coverage.

Better late than never.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now watch the games live, folks. They're monitoring what people watch, and good ratings are what matters. So even if you're at work, leave the DVR recording it. :)

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For those here that have watched games on Foxsoccer.TV, what's the quality like? Is it substantially better than what one finds in RojaDirecta for instance?

I ask because at the beginning of WCQ I remember a lot of people signing up for the JumpTV package (to watch WCQ games), and I remember a lot of complaints on the quality and on the feed sometimes simply "dying": much similar to what sometimes happens with (illegal) online feeds.

I've always said that if I am gonna be paying for a service that's equal in quality and reliability to what is available free of charge, I am inclined to go with what's free of charge.

Thanks in advance for any info.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree!!! Jump tv was suuuuch a rip off!

If they can giver GOOD feeds, fox sports may actually feel and see how many south americans have to rely on crap feeds/illegal ones to get our fix.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's not HD, but it's better than 90% of the feeds. And a lot more reliable (although I remember getting some interruptions last year).

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Cool! :cool:

The "test video" provided on the sign-up page looks very nice, too. I am really considering signing up for the service, untill the Copa Libertadores is over.

17. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Every Copa Libertadores group stage match from March 30 onward will be available LIVE in the U.S. on either FOX Deportes or FOXsoccer.tv

FOX Deportes will continue to emphasize the 3 Mexican teams.

==

Wednesday March 30

6:25pm ET - Deportes Tolima (COL) v Estudiantes de La Plata (ARG) - FOX Deportes
    8:45pm ET - Internacional (BRA) v Jorge Wilstermann (BOL) - FOX Deportes
    8:45pm ET - Guaraní (PAR) v Cruzeiro (BRA) - FOXsoccer.tv

Thursday March 31

6pm ET (1DD) - Guaraní (PAR) v Cruzeiro (BRA) - FOX Deportes
    8pm ET - Peñarol (URU) v Godoy Cruz (ARG) - FOX Deportes

--

Tuesday April 5

8pm ET - Independiente (ARG) vs Liga de Quito (ECU) - FOX Deportes

Wednesday April 6

6:25pm ET - Jaguares de Chiapas (MEX) vs Internacional (BRA) - FOX Deportes
    6:25pm ET - Unión Española (CHI) vs Caracas FC (VEN) - FOXsoccer.tv
    6:25pm ET - Deportivo Táchira (VEN) vs Cerro Porteño (PAR) - FOXsoccer.tv
    8:40pm ET - Nacional (URU) vs Fluminense (BRA) - FOXsoccer.tv
    8:40pm ET - Santos FC (BRA) vs Colo Colo (CHI) - FOXsoccer.tv
    10:45pm ET - Club América (MEX) vs Argentinos Juniors (ARG) - FOX Deportes

[FOX Deportes won't have a live match at 8:45pm ET because the pre-match show for the Club América (MEX) vs Argentinos Juniors (ARG) match will start at 10pm ET.]

Thursday April 7

6pm ET - Gremio (BRA) vs Junior (COL) - FOX Deportes
    6pm ET - Jorge Wilstermann (BOL) vs Emelec (ECU) - FOXsoccer.tv
    8:25pm ET - Universidad Católica (CHI) vs Vélez Sarsfield (ARG) - FOX Deportes

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anyone know if this works on a PS3? Foxsports.tv?

19. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Re: Copa Santader Libertadores 2011 TV schedule

isnt foxsoccer.tv a pay per view site ??

I dont understand why foxdeportes here in the US got to show replays of CL games (which by that time anyone in the world knows the result to) when they can show good games like Santos - Colo Colo or Nacional - Fluminense.
    I asume its got to be a mexican run channel here cause they show only the mexican clubs.
    It's always the same crap , is there a way to complain about this ?

20. rajale

rajale Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Bad mexicans, bad mexicans.

21. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania

hahahahahaaa

22. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

Makes no sense to me why they would change the Tuesday schedule. Everyone knows Liga will beat Godoy Cruz.

And Peñarol will debut the "World's Biggest Flag" in the rematch of THE South American SuperClasico

23. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The matter is that technically all the teams still have mathematical chances thus the matches are played at the same hour to avoid speculation. The only issue is that Peñarol-Independiente will be live on FOX Sports+ is a digital only cable and it's ONLY available on shitty CableVisión.:mad:

24. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Just now, they showed in the graphics not once but twice Colo Colo vs Caracas when it should be Colo Colo vs Tachira....

Not only that, but the game is about to start and they still have Caracas up there instead of Tachira. :rolleyes:

25. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ