Levy Out!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by BalanceUT, Nov 9, 2014.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." from one of Oscar Wilde's plays describing who is a cynic. But, it applies to more than just cynics. There are many people who are good at making a bottom line happen, but not in recognizing real value.

I believe that we know for sure now given the pattern of the past 10 years or so that Levy is such a man.

For a few years, Levy's approach to get the dollars right was useful for Spurs becoming a potential contender for the top 4. But, time after time, particularly with managers, he's shown he doesn't know a good thing when he's got it.

He sees a pretty bauble and he pays the price not recognizing the quality already residing in his manager office. Was Redknapp better than AVB? Hard to say, but you have a guy who's put you in 4th two seasons in a row, yet you reach to the shelf for someone who's had success elsewhere but fell hard in the EPL. Same thing with Sherwood. You have a guy who scored among the best in the league during his interim term and send him away in favor of the shiny bauble. Granted, this shiny bauble had at least gained his shine in the EPL. Still, look at what you have! You have a leader of men! Even when the men realize you are gone, he still was getting good work out of them.

Right now we have a guy who whines that the pitch is too narrow. Well, then, play the guys who will handled that better, because that's your effin' job, to figure out who those guys are. You had a summer to get them, and the pitch didn't change size over the summer.

Levy seems to think that they key is the manager. Managers matter, but not as much as most think. They can ruin a good team, but once there is basically solid talent and basically solid tactics, managers are moot.

I think the player moves also illustrate the quote. He is all about buying low and selling high. Now, I rather like it in the sense that you must find a way to be solvent, and in the early years that mattered a lot. But, you don't really see Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc. buying low and selling high. They buy high and low and sell low. That is, they sell players when the best has been extracted. On rare occasions the players move for a profit, generally, that's not where the profitability of the club resides.

Profitability for those clubs resides in the international market of sales of merchandise and that comes from success. Success comes from buying the good players and getting the best out of them.

I don't think Levy knows how to operate at this level.

The good news is that Liverpool and Man U may be on the downswing. If so, the opening is there. Unfortunately, we are not ready to move into the gap. I have a feeling we would be sitting in 4th or better if Sherwood were managing Spurs since last may. No, I don't want him back. The value he had with the players is spoilt, and can't be repurchased.

TFC Ajax, Phillyspur, COYS and 1 other person repped this.
  2. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to be drop kicked from the club like a Pat Jennings clearance.

3. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hate what the modern day Tottenham Hotspur under Daniel Levy have evolved into.

If the truth be told, we're a joke outfit. Love to say that I'm Spurs and proud, but the fact is that I'm not. The club are an embarrassment now.

Hate the way Levy has hijacked our history by promoting this 'echo of glory' leisure range, but seems content to leave any glory in the past by turning us into a nursery club who sell their best players every opportunity they get and, Hugo Lloris aside, have a squad full of complete and utter dross.

This is painful to say, but we aren't a big club anymore. How can we be? We sell our best players, play in a small stadium (even by Premier League standards, let alone Champions League). Haven't won the league for 50+ years, a European trophy for 30+ and the FA Cup for 20+ !!!

Levy could have build our club, he's had is chances and he's fluffed his lines, just like the managers he hired he isn't good enough and should clear his desk

He's all about profit. That snivelling letter to the Premier League supporting FFP shows what his agenda is all about.

Levy Out!

4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Tottenham haven't been a big club for decades, the last FA Cup was nearly a ¼ century ago. The last league title ½ a century. Part of the problem is Spurs believe they're a big club in a rut rather than a former glory. The sooner Levy et. al., come to terms with that the better.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #5 pookspur, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    in the end, that may be true, as I'm sure he's trying to make a big payday for enic out of spurs somewhere down the line. but in the interim, I just don't think we can say that. the money all seems to go right back into the club. I'm more inclined to say that he's 'all about making and spending as much as possible whilst keeping it in the black' - which he does really, really well.

the problem, or course, is that 'spending as much as possible' doesn't equate to 'spending well'. frankly, he hasn't been helped a bit by who he's chosen to defer to on that front - comolli bought value (as well as shite), but couldn't build a squad, and baldini ... crikey, we don't even wanna go there. even harry, despite fleshing out a more balanced (and better) squad, let us down with some of his non-profit-based signings.

there's plenty I don't like about Levy. but I actually feel a bit of sympathy for him in this regard.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  6. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has taken the club as far as he can, needs someone with deeper pockets (at least to pay for the stadium) and greater patience to push the club on.

COYS and dashiel repped this.
  8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That was a good read, but there is one thing I don't understand. They kept saying "the coach wanted player A, but he got player B instead." Well, what if player A didn't want to play for Spurs? Levy can't go and kidnap the guy. Or is the assumption that we could get any player we want if we only offered enough money?

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, you can't get every player you want just because. But, there are probably other players who have similar style. For Spurs, you have to find players who are younger with promise, then pay them appropriately as they improve. You won't keep them all, but eventually you will keep enough.

10. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a plan I can get behind. play some more promising younger players who are hungry to play and willing to learn, and stop buying (and overpaying) disgruntled vets that are not willing to change or improve

worked with Bale, worked with Modric, and tbh Mason and Bentaleb have been better than the average Spurs player this season

Hauler and SPUR-ious repped this.
  11. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Part of Spurs problem is the fact that they aren't prepared to pay the going rate as far as players' wages are concerned.

Spurs are known for paying low wages, that and the fact the club aren't ambitious is what contributes more than anything to players being reluctant to want to play for the club.

12. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't believe the club want to keep ANY of them.

It's my belief that Levy views players as commodities which are to be bought and sold to increase profits.

Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Lloris (well he's as good as gone already). I think, even knowing how much Spurs struggled after selling them, that Levy would do the exact same thing again because all he cares about is ££££

13. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levy will not never leave at the current moment. Not until Joe Lewis sells the club. Levy has relation to Joe Lewis so we can just forget about that ever happening. Also with the new interest in Southamptons head of recruitment I thought Baldini was suppose to be that guy? Confusing.

14. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you have to do is look at the success Southampton have had.

15. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What success?

Southampton have done well, but should we really be trying to copy them?

16. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Those fully the supporters and the ENIC out campaign will turn the pressure up on Levy.

The best way to hit Levy and ENIC are financially so that means boycotting all merchandise, refreshments within the stadium etc.

After they should set their sights on the club's official sponsors and partners and boycott those too http://m.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-club/partners/

17. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Spurs are gonna be a selling team, then perhaps Southampton is worth copying.

Hauler and SPUR-ious repped this.
  18. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    If?

19. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I was hoping they would get to a point where they no longer were a selling team

20. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soton's recruitment of good young players is something that I think Tottenham emulating is the way forward. Their mentality that have with young players is something we could stand to use.

This video explains a lot about the target they have and also about the structure they show to the youngsters. They treat their youngsters like pros and keep it very professional. There is always a goal for them to strive higher and higher to get to into the first team. So yes we should be copying them as they have been extremely successful.

21. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would we bring in to take over that role my question is. Who would be capable of it. I think before you start the campaign to get out there should be a successor thought about to come in.

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's an Arab prince when you need one?

23. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we can do what we are trying to do at the moment in getting our infrastructure and behind the scenes sorted out. If we can do that we don't need a sugar daddy to come in and splash the cash. I think we just need to surround Dan Levy with people who aren't complete ********tards and start getting him people more knowledgeable about football. I would love for Levy to just take care of the finances cause to be fair that is his strongest point.

BalanceUT repped this.
  24. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    He's ultimately in charge of hiring/firings, if he's surrounded himself with incompetents that's as much a reason to sack him as any.

Dawdler and BalanceUT repped this.
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok, the football's shit and the results have been disappointing. if that's not worth a moan, I don't know what is. but we're barely a dozen games into Pochettino's tenure. can we not just let him get on with it? must we restructure the whole friggin' club because we're four points off the CL places?

hauler's correct. we can live within our means and be competitive if we get the 'football part' right. I disagree, though, with his implication that Levy surrounds himself with f*cktards who aren't knowledgeable about the game. everyone he's brought in, from Hoddle to Poch, knows far more about the game than Levy. But he's continuously ballsed it up in two ways: 1) don't have your primary staff working at cross-purposes, and 2) let them fooking get on with it. there's your recipe for success.

what have been our happiest times during the Levy era? Jol/Arnesen (and Jol post-arensen/pre-camolli) and Redknapp on his own, with Levy largely deferring. coincidence? hardly.

toss out Enic/Levy and we're Aston Villa. bring in an Arab prince and we're Chelsea/Citeh. Of the two, I'd prefer the former; but I'd rather be neither.