Lets Talk Music Part 2

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by NattyBo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you believe The Prodigy is currently opening for Linkin Park? Tragedy.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    They've fallen hard but they still put on one crazy show. Especially if the crowd is into it.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
  5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ozymandias, Davila's new record came out yesterday. There are already a few reviews out there all good. Look for it it's called "Tan Bajo".

They're going to record a Live LP for Jack White's record label in a show in Nashville.

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they still on "In The Red" label? What a great name.

Amazon has it for release on Mar 1st. CAN'T WAIT

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    They're on Vice now. This was their last release with their contract with In The Red. The next full length album will be on Vice I believe.

8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    These are the Cali shows:

Wed 23-Mar Mexicali, MX Monaco Beer Club
    Thu 24-Mar San Diego, CA Til-Two Club
    Fri 25-Mar Los Angeles, CA Blue Star Bar
    Sat 26-Mar San Francisco, CA Thee Parkside Lounge
    Sun 27-Mar Sacramento, CA The Hub

Check this out:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=73H6GFZY

It's a 12" EP from an experimental hip hop group that had the lead singer of Davila. It's quite good.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ozz PM me your real name so they can know who you are. I already told them about a good friend I have in LA which is you. Let me know man. They're all pumped up letting everybody in,

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check the PM's.

11. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're gonna try to go to the Mexicali gig also for caguamas and chinese food. :D

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm heading to SXSW for the first time. Might run into the D-Triple-6's out there in Tejas.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    They're playing 4 shows at SXSW but I'm not sure which venues yet. Check out their myspace later so see if they have them up yet.

Allmusic.com just gave their new album 4 out of 5 stars.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they're playing all over the place. I think I'll at least get to see them at the MWTX mini-festival that's taking place in an old drive-in. The headliners are the Dead Milkmen, I'm really fired up for that one!

15. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l09H-3zzgA"]YouTube - The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness[/ame]
    Do you like the Strokes, Monty? http://sxsw.com/node/6603 ;)

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made it into Austin yesterday afternoon and the film festival is still going. Apparently "Source Code" is going to suck ass. Saw a screening of "Dragonslayer" for the 15th anniversary of Ain't It Cool News, Guillermo Del Toro was one of the presenters (funny guy). SXSW music doesn't get really started till Wednesday but of course there's already been shows. After the movie we caught Ringo Deathstarr's first of eleven shows this week. They love my bloody valentine so of course I love them. Like a lot of bands, they let people in the crowd get on stage but instead of jumping around or trying to holler at the cute, Belinda Butcher-esque bassist, they screwed around with the guitarist's pedals and made a ton of noise. I can't believe someone didn't run off with the guy's guitar. But I guess it would be hard to escape downtown.

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like fun. I wish I would have gone. I went to Guillermo Del Toro's tribute/after party at the Chicago International Film festival this year, and I could not love that guy more. Such an affable, unpretentious guy.

I've been hearing the same things about "Source Code". I had pretty high hopes for that too, since I liked "Moon" so much, and I'm such a whore for anything based in Chicago. I have to get out to SXSW next year.

19. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    so Nate dogg passed away today. Dont know if you guys even know him lol. Legend in rap/hip-hop industry. Sad news especially after hearing about abidal having the tumor too. bad day is bad day.

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You kidding me? Twitter and Facebook were blowing up about it. I definitely feel a little sad. Hearing "Ain't No Fun" is never going to feel the same. :(

Hell of a second day and sxsw still hasn't really kicked off. Let the record show that today is the third loudest day in my life, behind mbv and Oasis. No Age, Kylesa, Screaming Females all contributed to it but the cake was most certainly took by a band called The Roller. Biggest friggin drum set I've ever seen. Every bass drum hit was like a shove in the lungs.

Greddy, let's go to SXSW next year. I can't believe I waited this long. It's like Bourbon Street but in five dimensions.

Between all this and the Abidal news it's been a rollercoaster of emotions. Oh, and that whole Rebecca Black thing. :D

21. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    oh forgot about rebecca black, just more bad news to me lol.
    listening to music and me, regulate, all about you, how long will thye mourn me etc all with nate dogg. :(

22. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    It's soooo harddd to sayyy godbyeee to a homieee.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I'm in. You're updates are killing me.

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    How did you like Screaming Females? They played here not too long ago and stayed with a buddy of mine. They're cool people.

25. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The singer/guitarist absolutely kills it. What a great guitar player. She's like a mini version of Carrie Brownstein but with massive amounts of hard rock licks thrown in. I shot a clip that I'll upload later.

Speaking of Miss Brownstein, I caught her new band Wild Flag with Janet Weiss on drums and Mary Timony (ex-Helium) as the other singer/guitarist. Between them, the girl from Kylesa, the Bangles (!), I've seen a bunch of great female guitar players the last few days.

BTW, The Bangles were badass. They did their cover of "September Gurls" and dedicated it to Alex Chilton who died a year ago yesterday. And the busy ass sidewalk above the Cedar Street Courtyard literally stopped during "Eternal Flame". It was cheesy and awesome as all get out. Throw in a cover of Todd Rundgren's "Open My Eyes" and a little bit of "Magic Bus" thrown in during "Walk Like an Egyptians", couldn't ask more from an 80's band reunion. Too bad I didn't get to see Duran Duran.

Also saw The Strokes, Raphael Saadiq, Kvelertak, Tennis, a documentary on Creation Records, the Burger Records showcase at Trailer Space Records (I've never seen so many laws broken in such a small space). Just so much stuff. I also can't tell if I've drank more free beer or had more beer poured on me whilst in the thick of it.

My friend who writes film reviews for a pretty big magazine took off last night and left me his Platinum badge. Today I will attempt to get into as much free showcase shit as possible. That's where the good free booze is, you can only drink so much free Sparks and Miller High Lifes. Hopefully nobody looks at the picture. :D