Let's do away with the stupid Champions League Anthem

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by Alberto, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you get the heck out of here. Don't listen to much classical music if you think the theme is good.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the need to change the green bottle to amber to keep the beer from turning into the skunk smelling mess that it is.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When you say 'THEIR' country's national anthem.. which one? I mean, Inter didn't have ANY Italian players on the pitch yesterday. :eek:

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Didn't Marco Materazzi come on a sub late in the game? ;)

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've seen tons of players sing along to the song. Where do you get the idea they don't care about it?

And who's anthem should they play? North American sports having National anthems playing pre-game for club teams is so misplaced but a tradition. I don't know what a National anthem should do for Canadians or Russians playing hockey in the states.

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The anthem is cheesy, but it's an indelible part of the CL. It'd feel weird without it at this point.

The CONCACAF Champions League needs a song. I say it should be a rock version of the UEFA song, one in English and one in Spanish.

Or maybe C'caf can just use the UEFA song straight up. Or just the instrumental version. It needs something, because anthems give tournaments personality, and the CCL needs more of that.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm pretty sure their recipe is beyond saving. From the tab it actually tastes worse.

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why would you exclude Portuguese and French?

9. ralphs

ralphs New Member

May 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking a Tiesto remix of the Monday Night Football theme. American-grown, with European coaching ;)

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that's true... for about 30 seconds. Not sure they sing the anthem's when they do that, though. :D

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind them of what country they make their living in. ;)

12. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I for one love it.

GOGO CL!!

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Hit the mute button assuming you have the means to buy a TV. Not much you can do if you stand outside a bar to get a glimpse of the match

Game of Billions repped this.
  14. Game of Billions

Humans are AMAZING!
    Scotland
    Nov 16, 2021
    Scotland
    This is what I do. Mute button on until the ball is kicked at the kick-off. Too much nonsense in the pre-match, pre-kick-off stuff. No other sport does this, this excessive babbling and symbolism, gesturing before a match. We live in such an EXCESSIVE age. Not everything has to be presented as an EPIC EVENT. It means that when a TRULY EPIC EVENT comes along, the pizazz is overly familiar and is diluted. When you watch classic European Cup Final matches now, it feels like any other game, but it isn't, it's Ajax playing the best football you'll ever see!