Let's clarify "Going to Europe" in context

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by LAFEFUT, Jun 10, 2018.

1. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    I commonly hear Mexican commentators and/or fans "Tiene que ir se para Europa".

From left to right (geographically speaking)

So the following is based on history and statistics and not just opinion. I have looked at the the U17, U20, Olympics, Conferations Cup, World Cup, FIFA club world cup (Mexico has been in the final four 8 times right behind the Brazilians who have participated 9 times in the final 4 winning 4 championships) and other smaller/lesser tournaments and not something like the World Cup 1930 where only 13 teams played without qualification. Too often, listed are compiled but they are based off of patriotism more than facts and/or actual data.

1. Ireland - not better than LigaMX
    2. Scotland - not better than LigaMX
    3. English - could be argued that its better but its historically speaking a handful of teams
    4. Portugal - not better than LigaMX
    5. Spanish - great league but its generally speaking RM, Barca, ATM
    6. French - good league but if its not PSG, they are average
    7. Belguim - not better than LigaMX
    8. Netherlands - not better than LigaMX
    9. German - great league but its generally 3 or so teams
    10. Denmark - not better than LigaMX
    11. Switzerland - not better than LigaMX
    12. Italian - historic and great league but its generally the same top 3 or so teams
    13. Polish - not better than LigaMX
    14. Czech -not better than LigaMX
    15. Hungarian -not better than LigaMX
    16. Austrian - not better than LigaMX
    17. Croatia - not better than LigaMX
    18. Serbia - not better than LigaMX
    19. Bosnian - not better than LigaMX
    20. Montenegro - not better than LigaMX
    21. Albanian - not better than LigaMX
    22. Greek - not better than LigaMX
    23. Romanian - not better than LigaMX
    24. Latvian - not better than LigaMX
    25. Belarus - not better than LigaMX
    26. Ukraine - not better than LigaMX
    27. Turkey - not better than LigaMX
    28. Russia -not better than LigaMX

spguy repped this.
  2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hope you do understand that most European countries do not have actual U-20 NT's, but focus much more on qualifying for the UEFA U-21 Euro Championship... which is the big youth championship in Europe...

3. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    I don’t think anyone is referring to the Albanian league when talking about Europe.

Mainly getting into one of the feeder leagues to inevitably make the jump to one of the bigger leagues.
    Aka Portugal/Dutch > Fra/Ger/Ita/Spa/Eng

You want your players in the best leagues to play for the best teams and play against the best competition.
    The best players win champions league medals who play for championship caliber teams in the best leagues.

The club World Cup is actually a terrible measure for anything other than being the best in a region with rather terrible competition.

4. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    #4 LAFEFUT, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Genuinely asking, what do you use to measure success? I haven't seen the winner of the Europa League go to the club WC and even in the Europa cup, its the same 4 or 5 countries that have had the most success - Spain, Italy, England, France and Germany which I pointed out in my OP.

Even in the UEFA Champions league, generally speaking and when things start thinning out, its the same 5 leagues last standing.

If you want to say that playing in the UEFA champions league is better especially against teams from those 5 aforementioned countries, then I will wholeheartedly agree.

5. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    Portugal may not be better than the Liga Mx but a player will probably learn much more there than getting loaned out to a Puebla or a Veracruz or any other second division team.

Also, the Dutch league is a great feeder league. They have a great eye for talent and are great at refining technical ability. Chuky's finishing and decision making have improved a lot due to the Dutch league.

AMLO2018 and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  6. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    UEFA has u19 and u21 and in both of those, the same 4 or 5 countries historically have had most success.

7. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol Latvia and Belarus..

Come on obviously.

The idea has never to be in Crete's top flight.

This to me needs no clarifying.

I thought it was understood at least here on bsmx.

Neymadres and Hugo Sanchez repped this.
  8. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    So what is your argument? Because it reads like you just strengthened my point and have already answered your own question, haha.

9. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #9 AMLO2018, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    So a crap league that consists of shit teams like Lobos Buap, Veracruz, Atlas, Morelia, Leon etc are better than Holland's Eredivisie :rolleyes: Ajax, AZ, Vitesse, Feyernoord, PSV, Utrecht, Groningen would run circles around them

bought into the Liga Muy X hype, how did Edson & Gallardo do today ?

LGRod and Special_talent23 repped this.
  10. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    La liga portuguesa y holandesa claro que son mejores que la liga mexicana.

Increíble que alguien piense lo contrario, no hay argumentos siquiera.

Puma76, Lukato, AMLO2018 and 3 others repped this.
  11. MK3owner

MK3owner Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Kissimmee FL.
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Premier, Bundesliga, La liga, Serie A and the French league are clearly better than Liga MX and almost everyway.

Portuguese, Eredivisie, Turkish and the Belgian leagues have teams that are a notch above top Liga MX teams, but more importantly, these leagues develop players that can hang in the top leagues( the Turkish league probably less so). I would also argue that these leagues are better than Liga MX.

Neymadres, el mofles, Lukato and 4 others repped this.
  12. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This thread is one gigantic joke

AMLO2018 and Special_talent23 repped this.
  13. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    Only thing I'm going to say is that Briseño will learn more in a low to mid tier Portuguese league team than he will at Veracruz.

AMLO2018, Lukato, Miguel Myers and 5 others repped this.
  14. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For clarification, last year I took United from LAX to Dulles to Heathrow, I think.

De regreso vole con Swiss Air de Zurich a Los Angeles.

Neymadres, el mofles, erdons and 2 others repped this.
  15. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Top 5 leagues in terms of attractiveness, tactical set up, competitiveness, etc...

La Liga
    BPL
    Bundesliga
    Serie A
    Ligue 1

Portugal, Belgium, Holland are 2nd tier (So to speak) European leagues...
    Eredevisie, and Primeira liga have stalled in the past two years. They might be filled with youngsters, but they are not producing quality caliber players for top 5 leagues anymore... Ajax stopped competing like a decade ago... Porto hasn't competed in over 7 years... Benfica did last year but that was an anomaly...

AMLO2018 repped this.
  16. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol.

Hugo Sanchez repped this.
  17. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    He already is.

Skadrist, AMLO2018 and DankYummy repped this.
  18. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think this is a missed point as to why we want players abroad.

We aren't talking about going to Romania, Greece, or Belarus. We are talking about having players head to strong clubs in highly competitive atmospheres. Sending players to Espanyol, Villarreal, Bayer, for example, puts them in a spot to play against the best around and exposes them to big matches you can't play anywhere else.

Even if a Liga MX could beat Boavista, that is not the point. The point is, having players at a Benfica or Porto gives them a chance to play in European cups, having them fight for time and or lead a team (like Herrera) in competitions that exposes them to a plethora of talent.

19. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    I wholeheartedly agree that if a player wants to improve their overall game, they have to be in an overall better environment. The problem is, its not black and white and there are only 5 leagues in Europe that could be considered better on paper (Italy, Spain, England, German and possibly French). Take Tecatito for example. The guy showed some serious potential because of his dribbling. The dude is benched. I am only talking about this recent generation. Rafa and Hugo are exception and they are ranked accordingly among Mexicos football greats. I am referring to the general Mexican league/player.

Look at Mexico's major international accomplishments (Copa Confederaciones, Sub17 WCs, Sub20 4th place and Olympic gold), they were all home grown talent. Also, in the Club world cup, Brazil has had 9 teams reach the finals winning 4 Club WC championships, Mexico clubs have reached the final four 8 times, Argentina in the finals 4 times but haven't won any finals. Real Madrid and Barca are the only club teams that have won in recent years with 1 team from Italy etcc... winning.

The media, especially the Mexican media, give Mexico a hard time about getting eliminated at the Round of 16 continously. Putting things into perspective and as you can see during this WC, getting to the Round of 16 is not necessarily something easy to do. Although I think Rafa's recent "mediocre" comments pits all of the Mexican fanbase against the Mexican National Team, it has some merit to it (deportivamente).

Mexican football does compete but a Mexican footballer should not go to Holland (example) to play at Gronigen (just an example)to be benched.

20. spguy

spguy Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Hans Westerhoff and Leo Benhakker have mentioned many times that liga mx top to bottom better than Eredivise..the only advantage i see over liga mx is the coaching. The only adjustments liga mx needs to do is a coaching overhaul.

21. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How did the dutch do in this world cup?

LGRod repped this.
  22. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    I'm fine with Mexican players going to Gronigen. The deal is we don't have the pedigree Brazilians or Argentines do so many of our Mexican league players don't go directly to big clubs. Hell, Luis Suarez started his European career at Groningen. I would rather have someone like Espericueta loaned out to a Gronigen than a Puebla or a Veracruz.

Look at Antonio Briseño he is in Fierense in Portugal. He rode the bench for a while but managed to play a huge role in keeping his team in first division scoring important goals and doing solid work on defense.

I hope Eduardo Tercero takes a European offer from FC Basel it would be a great stepping stone for him if he does well.

I firmly believe Mexican players would learn much more being loaned out to European teams even if they are low to mid table Dutch, Belgian or Portuguese teams than 2nd division Mexican teams or the permanent relegation fodder teams of Liga Mx.

el mofles and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  23. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Plus, at least in theory, the more Mexicans go, the more free spots in Liga MX for other Mexicans.

24. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    Exactly, look at Eduardo Aguirre. He had a monster Toulon Tournament but as far as I know he is going back to Tampico. A year loan at Gronigen or Heracles would do him way better than a year in Mexican 2nd division.

Neymadres and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  25. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    And would give the chance to another guy to at least see minutes at Tampico and so on and so on.