Let's all laugh at Kansas

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by ratdog, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Wait! How is that possible? There must be a law against that? Someone will sue. If I am a Dem, I would on just basic grounds! WTF is wrong with this state?!?

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's a reason Kansas has 23 pages on how ********ed up it is.

dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How much time do you have?

dapip, Deadtigers and fatbastard repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's basically a matter of them saying "You can vote for whoever you want, as long as i get to count the votes."

Reminds me of the old Miller Lite ad where a bunch of people are voting on something, and instead of counting the votes, Bubba Smith grabs a piece of paper, looks at it and then crumples it up and says, "It says here the winner is Bubba Smith"

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article216397410.html

We’ve received countless reports that voters experienced issues when they voted on Tuesday. Many Colyer voters had difficulties finding his name on the ballot, were forced to vote on provisional ballots, or were turned away outright for unknown reasons,” Marr said in a news release.

Patrick Miller, a political scientist at the University of Kansas, said the hotline was a clear indication that Colyer’s campaign is preparing for a potential court case.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Deadtigers repped this.
  7. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Kobach got sent to remedial law school by a federal judge. the GOP said she is biased. Kris has to go to summer school because teacher hates him.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a wining record.

[​IMG]

dapip, JohnR and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Do we need to add a thread for West Virginia cause I have no idea why they are impeaching their state Supreme Court.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...urt-impeachment-explained-north-carolina.html

For some good reasons, and with some self-seeking procedures... Tl;dr version: WV governor Justice will get to hand pick justices.

Back in January, West Virginia Supreme Court justice Allen Loughry was in hot water. Reports suggested that he’d spent $32,000 of taxpayer money for a couch in his government office and relocated state-owned furniture to his home. In light of these allegations, a Democratic member of the House of Delegates called on that body’s Judiciary Committee to investigate Loughry’s potential corruption and consider removing him from office.

This shocked and appalled Mitch Carmichael, the Republican president of the West Virginia Senate, who called the proposal “the single dumbest, most ridiculous political stunt that I’ve seen in my time in the Legislature.”

But then, the investigation went forward and turned up evidence that — in addition to spending lavish sums on his courthouse accommodations —Loughry had instructed state employees to transport furniture from the Supreme Court building to his home, and had driven a state-owned car to signings for his 2006 book, Don’t Buy Another Vote, I Won’t Pay for a Landslide: The Sordid and Continuing History of Political Corruption in West Virginia.​

So far so good. Some background...

. . . The West Virginia constitution gives the state Supreme Court the power to set its own budget. And while some justices took more egregious advantage of these liberties than others, all spent enough on their offices to cause an ordinary citizen of the cash-strapped state indignation. Suddenly, it became apparent that adopting a “zero-tolerance” policy toward Supreme Court justices indulging in lavish spending would redound to the GOP’s benefit: If the state legislature impeached and convicted the entire court — which had previously had a one-vote Democratic majority — then Republican governor Jim Justice could handpick each and every one of his judicial overseers. The only hitch was that the party would need to ensure that the impeachment process ran past August 14 — otherwise, special elections would be held to replace the impeached justices this fall ( and thus, Governor Justice would not get to compile a full court of Justice’s justices). If the justices were removed from office after that date, then Justice could have his own personal Supreme Court reign until 2020​

But wait, there's more ...

Alas, the GOP didn’t wait quite long enough — Justice Robin Davis, a Democrat, had enough time after her impeachment to retire Monday, thereby triggering an election for her seat this fall. “Preconceived, adult-driven mania among the majority party members in the Legislature cannot result in a just and fair outcome,” Davis said at a press conference. “I have always placed my faith in the people of West Virginia. I return that faith to the people of West Virginia today.”

But, assuming Republican Senate president Mitch Carmichael no longer believes that impeaching justices for lavish spending is a “ridiculous political stunt,” Justice will still get to pick his own majority on the state’s high court.​

fatbastard repped this.
  11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, "the winner is Robert Mugabe." We've seen this movie before, but it's usually subtitled.

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So now we have to see if they will be convicted which is the only hope. That state is crazy. The 2018 mid term could change the statehouse make up right? And hopefully fix this.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kobach is in charge of the elections. Nothing will change.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I meant for the WV judge situation.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I feel the same applies to all the states where the GOP controls the government. They don't believe in democracy anymore.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, there is a difference between a Republic and a Democracy; and they used to emphasize it...

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They believe in a representative democracy where only the people that vote funds GOP is represented, regardless of their nationality.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas, Oklahoma is there really a difference?

Just read an interesting history on how this "empty" land was founded, empty if you ignore the little fact than Amerindians were told that this was the one section of land that white people would not take from them, the shit this county said to the Amerindians.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/how-oklahoma-city-was-born-in-a-day.html

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 Republican legislators have flipped to be Dems, and the Dems think there will be 3 or 4 more. So far they're all women. I think they also all represent suburban districts.

JohnR repped this.
  20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas, less nuttier every day.

But still a helluva long way to go.

JohnR repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The soccer moms seem to be getting it. The NASCAR moms, not so much.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They don't win enough. Kansas is like Duke used to be before UNLV took that local call in 1991. Well, they have three titles, but they're f'in Kansas- you'd think they'd have more.

...and it was Kansas Duke beat in the final that year. And it was Kansas that couldn't hit the side of a barn from the charity stripe v. Memphis late. Snakebit.

Now, UK? Nobody would care.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think that stops people in Kansas from being staunch KU basketball fans, I think living in SEC country has skewed your perception.

Nebraska football is a hollow shell of what it used to be but for the time being the hold the Huskers have over local fans is still pretty solid.

Auriaprottu repped this.