Legion - season 2 on FX

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

So the season premiere was predictably and satisfyingly weird.

It drove me crazy that I so much recognized the voice over narration but couldn't put a name to the voice.
    So I checked online and it's Jon Hamm! :D

sitruc repped this.
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

:ROFLMAO:

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So the idea that David has to help Farouk is a delusion, right? That's what all the Jon Hamm voice-overs are about and it would explain why there is a sudden need for him to help his nemesis.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished the first episode. It's too weird - I have to watch it in about 20 minute increments because otherwise my brain would explode, probably. I'll keep watching, but it's hard to discuss anything about it because you can't tell what is "real" and what is just weird - maybe I'm getting old, but some good old fashioned narrative story telling is appreciated sometimes.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I've really liked season two so far, but this show can be hard to watch in stretches if you hate the sound of people's teeth chattering as much as I do. It's almost as bad as some people respond to nails on a chalkboard.

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a review on NPR's Fresh Air a couple of days ago, where their TV critic said that this was the most groundbreaking show since the early episodes of Twin Peaks, where Cooper visits the backwards-talking dwarf in the red room. This is helping me process this show - I'm less focused on making sure I get all the plot points, and just enjoying the process, where a bunch of loopy unexplainable stuff happens. The cow is not what it seems.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think it's actually easier to follow narratively than season one. It took me a long time to get grounded in that story-line.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That opening 8-minute long montage with young Syd was brilliant.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wow, I have forgotten so much about season one. I didn't recognize David's sister until Oliver mentioned her brother David.

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice that each episode has just a tiny bit of plot advancement, so you don't have to pay attention to all of the extremely weird visuals and be afraid you'll miss something. I think this week's weird award goes to the part with the singing mouse.

Belgian guy repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Did I understand this episode right? We saw all of the possible versions of David across various alternate realities, each time also devoting some attention to the nature of his relationship to his sister in that specific reality.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's my interpretation - David went through his past to see if there was a different set of choices that could have happened that would have been better for him and his sister.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Season two just had its finale episode.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this show now.
    Whilst "Legion" season two was still visually very compelling at times, I found the overarching narrative a true letdown in the end.
    "Mr. Robot" got some grief for its sophomore season, but I think "Legion" was actually considerably worse writing-wise.
    I still like the cast and its visual quality but I hope for more inspired writing for season three.
    On that subject, has it been renewed already?