Lee Seung-woo @ Barcelona youth [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Koreano, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    W:eek:W

2. Corea10

Corea10 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    While we can hope for a positive future, we must also remember they are very very young. No need to go crazy over them yet.

3. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    will they be the next messi? maybe

is it smart to be cautious until they break the first team? yes

is it ok to be excited? absolutely

even if they dont make it to the first team they are still at arguably the best academy in the world at the moment. at the very least they will make it onto someones european side in the future. generally the kids given the 9, 10, and 11 numbers are regarded as the best also. while its not good to pin your hopes on them its fully ok to get excited and follow their progress imo. especially because they will hopefully be on the first team border in 4 years time.

4. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Monkey chants or not, he was their best player in Euro 2008 so whatever, haha. Besides, I don't think he had to up with any of that.

All this fear of these Korean kids playing for Spain is ridiculous.

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not fear. Just curiosity. Mostly because I (and probably a number of people on this forum) would have played for the US if I were at all talented at soccer, especially if all my friends were on the team.

Well, its too early to get too excited, but it doesn't hurt to keep tabs on these things.

6. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    I don't think the idea of Korean-Americans playing for the United States is at all comparable. First of all, there's a sizable ethnically-Korean population in the United States. Secondly, the Korean and American teams are similar in terms of talent, so the degree of difficulty in making it to either team is similar as well.

These young Korean players were born and raised in Korea (right?), and only went over to Spain for footballing reasons. And the level of difficulty in cracking even the Spanish bench is almost infinitely more difficult than cracking the starting lineup for the Korean squad.

These native Koreans would be trading in national glory and playing time in order to, what, hang out with their hombres? Not likely. ;)

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    They've been there since they've been 12? I have lots of pals who are pretty darn banana-like after less time in the states.

And in fact, the lack of a Kor-Am community can compound the banana-ization as you need more western culture to enjoy being a teenager. Instead of singing k-pop in noraebangs, reading korean newspapers and doing other such things, you're hanging out with your spanish friends. Like I did as the only minority in my town.

And of course, if these guys don't end up being great players that its a moot point since they will go where they can play. But you're talking about good prospects in the best academy of the best club in the world. Barca doesn't develop these talents just to sell em off. If they become good enough to star for Barca's first team, I'm pretty sure they'd be good enough for the NT.

Anyways, again this is all sooo far away. Between injuries, plateauing of talent, etc. there are way too many variables to call it "fear".

8. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    true, but if you take baek seung ho as an example, he's already pretty famous in korea. if he decided to switch nationalities, there would be hell to pay.

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'd agree. But if he were to say find a spanish wife, and choose making millions instead of doing military service, and essentially live like a spaniard, I don't think he'd care at the end of the day like a lot of KorAm (EDIT: by these I mean Koreans who came to the states as a teenager) men I know who have taken on US citizenship for far less financial incentive.

10. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Our kids will play for the KNT b/c they have pride. And if they were raised properly by good parents, there's no need for all this conjecture/hypothesising.

They're also young enough that there are a few different ways to get them military exemption before they turn 18.

11. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Marcos Senna...right 2008 not 2010.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5gBJGnaXs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5gBJGnaXs[/ame]

12. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Lol the kids are only there because the kfa.

13. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Does the fact that these kids go to school and essentially live in Spain not change their obligation to serve in the military? I'm only curious cause I know that LCY didn't have to serve b/c he dropped out and in the case of these academy kids they essentially dropped out of the Korean school system as well (albeit to go to school in Spain).

14. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I know kids who grew up in the US and had to serve in the military because they chose Korean citizenship at the age of 18.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I also think they explicitly closed that loophole.

16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Parents have to have permanent residency (green card), and they have to file an exemption for their son through the consulate/embassy before their son turns 18.

17. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Road Trip!! :D

18. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3gTq4jqmY"]C.D. Canillas vs FC Barcelona - XI Torneo Internacional Infantil 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

14 minute video from one match. Mentions "coreanos" a lot. But not too many ball touches

19. bm2011

bm2011 New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wow... Super high quality video of Infantil A!! I wonder who uploaded it :D
    I hope to see some more videos like this... especially Paik's match :)

20. KwonchesterUtd

Aug 10, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What happens if an exemption wasn't filed for the son?

21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    BOOT CAMP... It could happen the minute you arrive back at the airport, the first time you're home after you're 18.

22. thk1214

thk1214 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    [​IMG]
    He's good looking ain't he;)

23. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    LOLOLOL.

Anyway, I find it extremely disturbing that we have a thread about a 13 year old and that the topic has now become "he's good looking."

24. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just wait for ganahal's trademark 'poobs[sic] on goch' comment. As for the 미국 교포 kid playing for knt, I'm pretty sure they would get the tadanari treatment.

25. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    They wouldn't, unless that "미국 교포" 1) sucks, 2) is too weak minded to prove himself, 3) can't speak a word of Korean, 4) unsure of whether or not he should identify himself as Korean.

If it's 3 or 4, which was the case with Tadanari (although he's all of the above IMO), he shouldn't represent Korea to begin with.