News: Lee Nguyen at HAGL (Vietnam)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Mar 6, 2009.

1. BM-Hattrick

BM-Hattrick Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But it also couldn´t keep him there, same with Randers...

2. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Going to the next level is based on an assessment of current ability and potential growth. Staying at the next level is based on execution and proving that the assessment of potential was accurate.

Lee has, since his time in Bloomington, consistently failed to live up to what clubs want of him. It really is just that simple. So yeah, maybe he's really good in some ways, but obviously he hasn't proven himself to consistently be good enough.

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    According to an article from when he first signed he is making less money at this new club.

4. mdent

mdent New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not so sure it is a matter of him being able to move up. That is the life....he is playing the greatest sport and having fun. On top of that he is making $120,000 a year in a country with kickass food and cheap living costs. What else could he ask for? You are all looking about this in the wrong way in my opinion...

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, but at the end of the day, he is still playing in vietnam. Big fish, little pond. He went from PSV.............to the V league in a couple of years.

He has the skills... but the more time he pisses his time away playing in the V league, more doors close for him. Its not like he is making millions in the V league. Now after he retires as a player, and survives on the moeny he is makign over there, then yea I could see where you are coming from...

6. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Lee Nguyen's future in doubt

It's reported that American-Vietnamese midfielder Lee Nguyen is looking to exit Binh Duong to save his career.

Following a disappointing season with Chelsea Vietnam, Lee Nguyen's place at his club is now very insecure. It was proved by Binh Duong's signing of Leandro, who plays at the same position as Lee Nguyen.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, he can't even make it in the Vietnamese League?

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that. I mean, he was scoring goals for fun.

9. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  11. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why doesn't he find a better league to play in? Rather see him play in MLS at least or heck K League or J League better comp for him.

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    J league at least outside of brasilian imports is a very hard league to get into if you dont have a bangin' resume as an asian footballer (what I have learned out of curiousity). The Japaneese really think highly of their league and often times you have to be very very good to win over a starting spot to a japaneese player.

13. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Finally looking to make the switch...

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/en/sports/3752/us-based-footballer-eyes-vietnam-national-team.html

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's represented The US before in the World Youth Cup (vs Egypt in 2005 at the very least). Doesn't this strip him of his right to the one time switch since he was not a Vietnamese citizen?

15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you are correct.

I guess he doesn't know that.

16. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    The rule doesn't state anything about citizenship specifically, but it does say that in order to switch, you have to be eligible for the country when you first play in an official match for your first country. But what about Hurzeler? I guess that even though he's German thru and thru, Hurzeler is an American citizen just because he was born here? The only thing I can think of is that there is some clause in the Vietnamese citizenship laws that allows children of citizens born outside Vietnam to be granted conditional citizenship that can be realized upon moving to Vietnam and beginning the naturalization process.

17. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he also on the 2007 cop a America team?

18. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

19. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Sort of interesting on his twitter bio he used to say something about being a USA national team player, now that is gone.

Yeah its a stretch but who knows. So I'm guessing one of his parents were born in Vietnam?

20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was. But that wasn't an official tourney for us.

I guess we'll begin to learn Fifa's definition of "eligible"

21. kuttie90

kuttie90 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    What do you mean "it wasn't an offical tournament for us". An official tournament is only determined by FIFA and FIFA alone, not by a specific individual country so if we "the USMNT" participated in the 2007 Copa American Tournament, it is deemed that we participated in an official tornament as per FIFA, period.

22. kuttie90

kuttie90 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    What do you mean "it wasn't an offical tournament for us". An official tournament is only determined by FIFA and FIFA alone, not by a specific individual country so if we "the USMNT" participated in the 2007 Copa American Tournament, it is deemed that we participated in an official tornament as per FIFA, period.

23. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    damn hiddink and his leaving psv. i will always remain upset about what could've been for nguyen had hiddink stayed. nguyen was progressing nicely with the youth team at psv and had cracked the first team and done well for himself. he was set up nicely until hiddink left. damn shame, i loved those psv teams with beasley, farfan, park, lee, cocu, alex, etc.

24. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I know FIFA deems that tournament "official". Of course. But we were guest participants in it. I don't believe that "cap-tying" rules applied to us for it. I don't believe you are correct.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, this has been debated vigorously in 2007.

Some bought the MLS line of "we can send anyone we want 'cos we're merely guests".

The Copa America organizers didn't.

Let's see how this plays out under the official jurisdiction.