Lee Chun-soo

Discussion in 'Korea' started by seolseol, Jul 3, 2012.

1. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

assist LCS... Great freekick

On the side note, while the official attendance suggests K-League (avg. attendance 9629) is catching up with KPB (avg. attendance 13451), the latter is far more popular in Korea. The core fan numbers might be quite similar, but KPB is much more followed in the media and the general public... most teenagers would be able to name a few baseball teams but may not even know about Suwon Blewings or FC Seoul.

seolseol repped this.
  2. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

more games in the KPB as well

3. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    more teams in Kleague though. KBO is clearly more popular but no way the media should be this imbalanced.

4. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Great first touch

5. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

other than his lack of goals, he's been an awesome player this year. glad to see he can find add something to this goal tally after the Busan game. to tell you the truth, i wouldn't be surprised to see his name at the Brazil 2014 lineup (assuming we qualify) if he keeps this up

Korvinus and seolseol repped this.
  6. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

other than his lack of goals, he's been an awesome player this year. glad to see that he can find add something to this goal tally post-Busan game. to tell you the truth, i wouldn't be surprised to see his name at the Brazil 2014 lineup (assuming we qualify) if he keeps this up

7. Korvinus

Korvinus Member

Juventus
    Mar 24, 2007
    Lee Chun-Soo is a Brian Clough-esque bargain for Incheon.
    Regardless of never making it abroad, talent is talent, and he has a wealth of experience (World Cups, Asian Cup, Olympics, AFC Champions League, La Liga, Eredivisie, etc)

Wish him the best. Before the 2007 Asian Cup, he was arguably our best attacker in the KNT~

For Ulsan fans and K-League fans in general, a good debate would be, who was the better forward during a title winning campaign for the Tigers? (or who do you prefer?)

2005 Lee Chun-Soo? or, 2012 Lee Keun-Ho?

hanul21 and seolseol repped this.
  8. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Umm, what do you mean Brian Clough-esque? He was no bargain to any clubs when he was a manager...

That being said, from what I've seen LCS was the most promising player for KNT in the recent times. I can't recall very well since I was 6 or 7 back then, but during 2002 WC, I remember that he had flair that not many KNT players have at that time.

9. Korvinus

Korvinus Member

Juventus
    Mar 24, 2007
    ???

Brian Clough had a history of signing skilled players who were once coveted by many clubs but had become unwanted because of problems (e.g. alcohol, gambling, women, money, etc) He'd sign them for a really low market value, straighten them up, and have himself a talented player he wouldn't have dreamed of signing years prior.

I was just likening Lee Chun-Soo to a classic Brian Clough transfer.
    Even five years ago, Incheon could never have signed Lee Chun-Soo.

Few years back, Jeonbuk signing Seongnam outcasts Lee Dong-Gook and Kim Sang-Sik was another gamble that paid off.

Lee Chun-Soo didn't do much at the 2002 WC. He was more of a super sub, because of his raw pace and trickery. 2006 WC is where he showcased his talent. He continued to peak right up to the 2007 Asian Cup during which he was supposedly "sick" and didn't play as well.

After joining Feyenoord, he flopped and began to decline. It didn't help that he was a pointless mid-season transfer (he got fat) for Suwon in 2008. He didn't play in the final against Seoul which pissed him off.
    He got into fights (slapped a hostess, broke Moon Min-Kwi's nose) and drank heavily.

He said he'd straighten himself out in Chunnam like a rookie. Did okay. All looked great until he made a rude gesture during a game against Seoul before GTFO-ing to West Asia. Rumors came out during this time that he had money troubles. (e.g. loaned out huge money and basically got conned)

He joined a J-league side. Scored a goal or two. Didn't do much.

Now, he's at Incheon. A team he b-slapped in 2005 to win the K-League Championship for Ulsan Hyundai.

I'm a fan of Lee Chun-Soo. Off the field problems aside, he always gave it his all whenever he donned the national shirt. It's too bad that he ran into problems during the years when he should have been in his prime.

EDIT: I reread my post. A bit unclear. So, I'll rephrase:
    Lee Chun-Soo to Incheon United is a transfer Brian Clough and Peter Taylor would have approved of if they were a part of Incheon's management.

wetcrispy repped this.
  10. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

I pretty much agree on other things but Clough bought unwanted players? I'm not sure I agree at all. He was well known for signing promising young players, such as McGovern, McFarland, O'Hare, and Keane or making record-setting transfers such as Todd and Francis, as far as I am aware. Maybe you are getting confused with someone else?

11. Korvinus

Korvinus Member

Juventus
    Mar 24, 2007
    He signed promising youths, but also drunks and guys with gambling addictions. I can't think of those faces at the top of my head. I read his biography a while ago.

BTW, I didn't say he only signed unwanted players. I mentioned that part and not the youth, because Lee Chun-Soo isn't a youth prospect anymore and fits the former description better.

He also signed old players who were still good. (Kim Sang-Sik, end of 2008 would fit the part)

And, no, I'm not.
    Brian Clough signed anyone who was talented with the ball if the price was right and also sold if the price was right.
    Clough could talk to drunks.
    Taylor could talk to gamblers.

I dunno what else to say.

wetcrispy repped this.
  12. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After this season do you guys think he is still better than many in the current NT squad? Haters don't need to answer.

13. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Yes. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Brazil.

14. Korvinus

Korvinus Member

Juventus
    Mar 24, 2007
    Kinda vague of a question...

I wouldn't drop any of the youthful attackers like Son Heung-Min or Ji Dong-Won for him, but would like to see him on bench as an option.

His experience, skill, and versatility are traits we could use although the fullback and central midfield areas are of more concern atm.

I do think he could give Lee Keun-Ho and Kim Bo-Kyung a run for their money on the left flank.

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for the answers. Would love to see a NT comeback.

16. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    why would he give our best 2 players this past qualifying cycle a run for their money? until he becomes one of the best players on his team let alone K-League he wont be in the NT picture realistically.

is it possible? of course its possible next year with a full offseason he comes out on fire and makes the team. but thats the only way really. that or he is a surprise selection for the East Asian Cup thingy squad.

2014 WC is a long shot.

17. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

He's started 6 out of 7 matches since mid-April with 1 goal and 4 assists. Not the best record, but still quite impressive for a person who hasn't played football for nearly 2 years. Also, he IS currently one of the best players in the team.

seolseol repped this.
  18. soccerboy37

soccerboy37 Member+

Jan 17, 2009
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i hope he gets chosen for a qualifier game to see how he can perform with the NT.

19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    As great as that may sound, it won't happen as the roster for the remaining three WCQ matches have already been set. He knows that a return to the NT is certainly out of the question as the least he's grateful to have been given a chance to return to his career.

He certainly has changed especially with his attitude and has been playing well for Incheon lately, so if he continues to play the way he's currently doing then I don't see why he shouldn't be given a chance to be selected for the NT, but at the moment it's best that he concentrates on playing for his club.

soccerboy37 and Jitevra repped this.
  20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    KNI did it why not Chun-soo. Well, at least I will hope for it..

21. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nevermind KSY's freekicks, we need LCS's freekicks for the KNT imo...

Anyone remember this?

Seol Korea and seolseol repped this.
  22. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Yes. Remember that match so well... Who needs Juninho when you have LCS?

seolseol repped this.
  24. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And not to mention, this:
    [​IMG]

seolseol repped this.
  25. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Would love to rep this but I don't have any reps to give...

narasarang and Seol Korea repped this.