Leaguewide Adidas Sponshorship

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MoosefesteR, May 18, 2013.

?

Do you think MLS clubs should be able to choose their own jersey manufacturer?

1. yes

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. no

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    It's always bothered me that MLS sold out to Adidas and all clubs are forced to wear the same brand. Each team should be able to make a decision on which brand to strike a deal with, and the clubs themselves should be the ones profiting off of those deals just like in most other leagues.

Just to be clear I have nothing against Adidas. They're a great company but I would like to see more freedom and diversity in club jerseys, instead of the same old 3 stripes running down every player's arm. Just another example of the controlling nature of MLS.

I'm surpised I haven't heard any Timbers fans sounding off on this topic, since they're the Nike headquarters and all...

2. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the "Indifferent" option?

RedRover, ImaPuppy and Buzz Killington repped this.
  3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say this as if MLS is not a single entity structure and every franchise has a vote on the issue. And also as if other North American sports leagues don't have league wide jersey design, production and revenue contracts.

LordRobin repped this.
  4. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nike's headquarters are in Beaverton. Adidas America's are in Portland.

5. soccerbetic

soccerbetic Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jersey brand diversity or millions of dollars in support for the development, improvement and growth of soccer in the US? I think I can live with the three stripes

RedRover, TheEmperor14 and thomas19064 repped this.
  6. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    Do you have solid info on how much Adidas pays MLS for the rights? If so, do share.

Also, I feel like you're ignoring the part where each respective team can make their own millions of dollars from their own jersey deal that they can put into their own academies if they so desire. It's not just about jersey diversity, buddy.

7. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    Beaverton = Portland suburb.

Adidas America = not their real headquarters. Adidas has their HQ in Herzogenaurach, Germany.

Just because Adidas opens one of many headquarters in portland does not make them a local product. Nike was founded by a University of Oregon alum, and they have their ACTUAL headquarters in Oregon. Why do you think the Ducks always have the most awesome uniforms?

8. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    I also say this as if the most successful sports league in the world that's based right here in the USA lets each individual team decide which brand to allow on their jersey.

So do all of the top Soccer leagues in the world.

But you're right, MLS is doing it right and the rest of the known sports world is doing it wrong...

9. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I not only wish MLS to allow their teams to choose their jersey suppliers, but the other 4 leagues to do the same as well. This won't happen for a long time, if ever though.

10. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    ???
    The NFL strikes deals as a league as well.

They get the better deal by bargaining as a league -- its why they do it. So besides for your own personal enjoyment, there's no good reason to argue against it.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  11. Fabio Leal

Fabio Leal New Member

May 19, 2013
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know any books about the history of soccer in the US and about the franchise system in the US leagues?

Thanks

12. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-News/Adidas-Ups-MLS-Bet-With-$200M-Deal.aspx

There is a reason why MLS signed on with Adidas, their offer was just much better than anyone else was offering.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming you're referring to MLS, and you would be wrong then. Starting last year Nike took over as the exclusive uniform supplier for the league on a 5-year deal.

TheEmperor14 repped this.
  14. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Reebok was the only supplier of the NFL for 10 years before that. It's a known and tested way for leagues that are "entities" to get he most for thier money. There is no way a ChivasUSA or Columbus Crew will get he same sponsor ship deal as a Seattle or Portland. The rich will get richer, poor will get poorer. teams will get pushed to the point of folding.

Until the league grews up enough to make sure the teams don't pull a Cosmos and overspend til the league collapes - I'm more than happy with 3-Stripes on jerseys. I think they do a great job. I see more variety on the MLSjerseys than I do with the nike templates.

add generation adidas, youth systems and overall infastructure the stripes is dumping $200 mil into - i'm quite happy about it.

15. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I'd vote for that. Especially if it was worded "Who the f*ck gives a sh*t?!!"

16. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you would get millions of dollars if each team went with their own kits supplier etc. its just an easier (and lazier) way to millions: one signature instead of 19.

17. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If each team negotiated their own kit deals I guarantee it would come out nearly even. Look at the current sponsorship deals in place for stadiums and front of jerseys. The big market teams get large contracts and the small market teams get small contracts or nothing at all. That brings the average down and for 19 teams i bet we couldnt grab up much more then $25 million which is what adidas is ponying up per year.

I am kind of indifferent. Most of the world doesnt do it this way versus most of the sporting leagues in the US do it the same as MLS. MLS is too young and needs the stable revenue. As well i enjoy the parity in the league. Allowing the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer hasnt ever worked out and several European leagues are starting to explore ideas about ways to even the playing field. I would not be surprised if most European leagues did not implement some sort of financial controls or revenue sharing within 5 to 10 years thus making them look more like MLS than vice versa.

18. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes we agree.